- Text Size +
The phone rang, and I wondered who it could possibly be.
I sometimes speak to my brothers (the Backstreet Boys) on the phone, sometimes even to Aaron, but nobody else of my family. Many years ago, a big argument caused me to lose contact with them, and I haven't regained it- other than a very occasional call from my sisters, but even those are brief and cold. My parents and my sisters probably have no idea about what is going on with Josh, maybe not even that I am now a widower. How I despise the word.
Aaron knows, of course, but even he is distant. He didn't offer to come over and visit, although he does make a point out of calling every two weeks or so to check on his condition.
So, even when I talk to people on the phone, my main topic of conversation is my children, the weather and the news. Amazing how that has come to rule my life.
The only other people I sometimes talk to are Julia's closest friends, people I don't know from the bank or something, and my childrens' friends' parents.
Who would call me at seven o' clock on a cold December afternoon?
"Hello, the Carters." I answered the phone.
"Hi, Nick, it's me, Aaron."
"Oh, hi, kid."
"Kid?!" Aaron sounded really offended.
"Just kidding." I laughed. "So what's up?"
"Nothing really."
"How's it going with Judith?" Judith was Aaron's girlfriend, and had been for about four years.
"Oh, my!" Aaron laughed. "I can't believe I forgot to tell you!"
"What?"
"We're getting married!"
"Married?! When?" I was really happy for my brother, of course, but kind of offended that he could forget to tell me something like that.
"May 10th."
I fell silent. "May 10th?"
"Yes, and I know it's not a very nice day for you, with what happened with Julia and all-" May 10th happened to be the day that Michael was born. "But Judith insists on a spring wedding, and anything until April sounds too soon, so we've revised all the dates and May 10th seems to be perfect. Judith and I figured you wouldn't mind."
"No, I don't." I forced myself to say, though I did. It felt rather funny inside. May 10th is not a day that comes without memories. The day Mike was born, the day Julia died... and now it's going to be the day that Aaron marries? It's just too weird. It was going to be a bittersweet day, that's for sure.
"So, am I invited?" I asked, forcing myself to sound cheerful.
"Yeah, of course." Aaron said. "Mom and Dad aren't coming anyway."
"What, you didn't invite them?" I asked.
"Well, yeah, but you know Mom. And Dad's too busy with his new wife to come, so at least that way it'll be less awkward."
"Guess so. My kids invited too?"
"Yeah, of course. But... I'm wondering, how's Josh going to be? 'Cause it wouldn't be very pleasant if he had to get up in the middle of the service to go throw up. I would understand, of course, but I want you all to have good memories of the day."
I did my calculations. "I'm pretty sure Josh will be on maintenance by then."
"Maintenance?" he echoed, as if he was asking for an explanation.
"Meaning he doesn't get as much chemo anymore, it's the last phase of the chemo protocol, so it's much more likely he'll be fine. We're taking things one day at a time, anyway." I tried to sound calm.
"I see. Well, it would be really nice to see you all there. I'll send you the invitations sometime in the next week."
"Okay."
"Well, the real reason I called was Josh, as you might have guessed. How is he?"
"Doing good, finished the first phase of chemo, now on to consolidation. Dr. Wilson, Josh's ped./onc. [A.N. this means pediatrician/oncologist] said that kids tolerate this phase better, which is lucky, because you know Josh hasn't been having the easiest of times."
"Yeah, you said."
"So it'll be 10 weeks of that. I'll update you once in a while, 'kay? I've got guests and should really get supper moving."
Aaron laughed. "Okay. Talk to you another day. 'Bye."