- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
By the time I finish this story, my readers and I will be experts on leukemia, lol. Review? =)
I made a fairly simple supper, spaghetti bolognese, knowing that the kids would love it, Ryan liked it (he couldn't be included with the kids, he wasn't one anymore, really), and hoped that Mrs. Johnson would like it, too.
I was only trying to comfort her, of course. I had only loved Julia and I was convinced I would never love another woman.
But Mrs. Johnson was divorced. She'd been divorced for about a year, which can't be easy, especially when she's got two kids to take care of.
In a way it's similar to my case, but the main difference is that I loved Julia and was sorry to see her go. Mrs. Johnson was probably glad to see the guy (whose name, I think, was Thomas) go.
I imagine that it's not easy, anyway. Especially when they'd been married for nearly 15 years. And Thomas had had an affair.
No woman deserves that. It's like a slap in the face, it's like being told: "You're not good enough for me anymore."
I wasn't really sure why I'd invited her over. I certainly did not want to have a romantic relationship with this woman. But I figured that we had a few things in common, so maybe if we became friends it would be comforting. For both of us.
Life's not easy for a widower who's the father of four, that's for sure. I mean, life's not easy for anyone. But I always feel like it's been made especially difficult for me, at least lately, in the last three years in a half, and even more so in the last three months.
Things didn't go as I expected, though...
"Hello." Mrs. Johnson said shyly.
"C'mon in." I invited her, taking her coat and hanging it carefully. "Jamie, Delilah, Ryan!" I called. "Supper's ready!"
Jamie and Delilah came just a moment later, then Ryan.
"If you'll excuse me for a moment, I'll go wake up Michael."
I was surprised he'd been sleeping for this long. What had it been, nine hours? It didn't seem natural.
I was becoming paranoid, as usual, but then, infection was very dangerous for Josh at the moment, and if Mike was sick, then Josh would probably get it, given that they'd been laying down side by side for a while that very morning.
I felt Mike's forehead softly. Definitely warm. Uh-oh.
I took a deep breath, trying to calm myself, willing myself to grab a thermometer and make sure it wasn't my mind playing tricks on me.
It wasn't. 102 ºF, read the thermometer.
I covered Mike in his comforter and went back downstairs, grabbed the phone in the kitchen and called Dr. Wilson at his office.
"Hello." he seemed tired. I look at the watch, exactly 8 p.m., so he was probably just getting out of his shift.
"Hello, this is Joshua Carter's father?"
"Ah, yes, Mr. Carter, is there a problem?" he asked.
"I think so. I was visiting Joshua this morning with my youngest son, Michael, and now it seems that Mike has a fever. I'm very concerned that Joshua will get sick."
"Is that so?" Dr. Wilson sounded thoughtful. "Well, thanks for informing me, Mr. Carter. I'll keep a closer eye on Joshua these following days, but hopefully there won't be any trouble."
"Hopefully?" I echoed.
"Just because there's been close contact doesn't mean that Josh will automatically get sick, the fever could be anything. Young kids get fevers very easily, Mr. Carter."
"Yes, I know."
"So, you keep an eye on Mike and I'll keep one on Joshua. If you have any idea what is the problem with Mike, please inform me as fast as possible. Then it'll be easier to see what we're dealing with."
"Thanks, Dr. Wilson."
"You're welcome, Mr. Carter. Take care."
"You too, bye."
"Goodbye."
I went back to the supper and announced that Mike was a bit under the weather, sat down next to Ryan and Mrs. Johnson, and enjoyed (well, considering the circumstances and that it was, after all, MY cooking) the supper. However, I did not have very much conversation with Mrs. Johnson, who seemed unusually quiet (for being her) and ended up listening to Jamie and Delilah's "fascinating" conversation over barbies.