- Text Size +
I got to the hospital in record time, surprisingly without any speeding tickets.
Mikey seemed to sense my mood and was quiet, but maybe the big hospital made him feel small and vulnerable. Being shy as he is, it wouldn't have surprised me if it had been that. That would have been a typically "Michaelish" attitude.
"Hello." I said breathlessly to the receptionist.
"Hello." she smiled at Michael, who shyly looked away. "Do you have an appointment?"
"No, but it's an emergency, can you find a pediatrician?"
She seemed a bit taken back. "Well, I'll do my best." she answered, picking up one of the three phones.
"Hi, Dr. Harrisson. Are you busy? Oh, really? Can you take a boy right now? Yeah, his father says it's an emergency... Oh, good, I'll send them right up."
I felt slightly relieved that a doctor had been found so fast, at least something was going well.
"Dr. Harrisson can take you. He's in the second floor, Office 13. Do you need someone to take you there?"
"No, I'm sure we can find it." I assured the receptionist. "Thank you so much."
We took the elevator upstairs. I was busy trying to stop Michael from bothering the tall man with the little girl, but agreeably, Michael was feeling too shy to do that.
The Office 13 was not hard to find, and I knocked on the door, putting my arm around Josh's shoulder, who was looking paler by the second, but maybe that was just me. I could overreact pretty easily.
"Good morning." I said.
I took a look at the man. He looked like he was in his mid-fifties with a mostly bald head and what little hair he had around the sides was gray. He had wrinkles on his face from laughing, and was just a little shorter than Josh.
I felt a lot more relieved when I took a look at the amount of diplomas crowding the soft yellow walls.
I sat on one of the two chairs in front of his desk, with Mike on my lap, and Josh took the other one.
"Good morning." the doctor said. "I'm Dr. Benjamin Harrisson."
"I'm Mr. Carter, this is Michael and this is Joshua."
"What seems to be the problem today, Mr. Carter?" Dr. Harrisson asked.
"Joshua here's in quite a bit of pain."
"Where's the pain, Joshua?"
"In my right side." he said, pointing to the exact area.
"Okay, come over here, Joshua."
Josh laid down on the bed with the paper on it, and the doctor started feeling his stomach.
"His spleen seems a little enlarged." he said after a few moments. "On the scale of one to ten, Joshua, how much is the pain?" he turned to Josh.
Joshua thought for only a moment before he answered: "Nine."
"Do you think it's something really serious, Dr. Harrisson?" I asked, feeling really worried. After all, Joshua's pretty stoic about pain.
"I'm not sure, Mr. Carter, I'll have to do a few more tests."
"But he's going to be okay, isn't he?" I asked, mostly wanted to be reassured that this was nothing.
"We'll cross that bridge when we come to it."