- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Okay, here's a longer one, since I've taken a little longer than usual now. I've been busy with my other story, "A new truth", go check it out! =)
It turned out that Ryan wanted a new car, go figure. He was being nice trying to make me want to buy him a car.
I definitely had enough money for that, but I didn't want to spoil the kids- though I figured they were already somewhat spoiled- so I wasn't sure what to do.
After some thought, I decided to buy the car. Ryan would be seventeen in just ten days. He was old enough to have his own car.
I was usually using the family car, anyway, especially since Joshua had gotten sick, and it wasn't fair to Ryan, either, for him to have his driver's license and not have the chance to use it.
It was nice to have Ryan in a good mood, though, it made me get in a good mood myself.
"How are you, Josh?" he politely asked, and Josh, looking amused- and a little annoyed, understandably- answered that he was just fine. He didn't want to explain what had happened in the park, and I wasn't going to either. It was Jamie who spilled the news.
"Yeah and then he was staring into space and boom! Mike hits him and then he fell on the floor and was bleeding..." Jamie seemed to be having a good time explaining, but Josh did not seem amused, nor did Ryan. Ryan looked at Josh looking startled and concerned.
"Bleeding?" he echoed. "Where?"
"His nose!" said Jamie.
"But did it start bleeding from the knock, or before?"
Josh looked guilty. "I think before..."
My eyes widened. He had not told me this little bit of information.
"Joshua, you should have told me. You know perfectly well that this is one of the signs of leukemia!"
"We all know that I've got it, Dad." Josh rolled his eyes.
"But this could mean a relapse. And you know the sooner they catch it, the easier the chances of a cure." I scolded.
"Dad, I'm sure you can't relapse THAT fast."
"Look, you've got blood counts on Monday, so we'll just tell Dr. Wilson then." I sternly replied, feeling nervous. A father can't help being nervous when his son's health is in stake.
We continued eating, but conversation just wasn't the same anymore. I was too scared of my son having leukemia again, Ryan was probably wishing that I would buy that car already, Josh was probably hoping we'd just stop talking about him. Jamie was probably wondering what she'd said that was so wrong, and Mike was probably just confused.
We finished supper, and everyone headed their own way: Ryan to his room, Josh to bed, Jamie to do her homework, and Mike to paint.
I just sat on the couch for a while before turning on the computer, looking for some information or some kind of encouragement that it didn't necessarily have to be a relapse.
I was more relieved when I found an article explaining the causes for nosebleeds, saying that mostly it's just because of dry air... so that made me feel better. Josh had been indoors for a long time, and the heated air was pretty dry... so it had to be that. It just had to.
I still called Brian.
"Hello?" said Leighanne.
"Hi, Leigh, it's Nick, can I talk to Bri?"
"Sure, hold on." said Leighanne. "Josh is okay?"
"Doing good." I said after a moment.
"Hello?" said Brian.
"Hi, Frick, it's me, Nick."
"Oh, hi. What's up? Josh is all right, isn't he?"
"Well, actually, that's why I was calling..."
"Oh, no... I think I'm not going to like whatever you're going to say."
I chuckled nervously. "No, it's just my brain being paranoic. It's that I went to the park today with the three youngest, and all of a sudden Josh fell and he was having a nosebleed."
"Yeah?" Obviously Brian was waiting for more.
"A nosebleed, Brian..."
"That's perfectly normal, Nick, many people get them."
"Well, yeah, but Josh could have a relapse, and nosebleeds are one of the signs..." I exclaimed, more nervous.
"Oh, Nick. Not again. He's gonna be okay, he's a strong guy."
"You think so?" I said, hoping for Brian to assure me this again.
"Yup, I have the feeling he's going to be just fine. You just tell the doctor about this, and let him decide if it's serious or not."
"Okay. Thanks, Brian."
"Anytime, Nick. Anytime, I don't care if it's three in the morning and you start feeling bad again, okay?"
"Yeah, okay. Thanks, buddy. I should make Mike go to bed now."
"He's still up?"
"Well, yeah."
"It's ten thirty!"
"It's been a hectic day, Brian. I usually make him go to bed earlier. Okay, I should go now. Thanks again. 'Bye."