- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Yay!! You didn't have to wait a week. =D
Hey, and the reviews, keep 'em coming =P!!
Joshua said that this Christmas was the best ever, the most special Christmas we've ever had.
Of course, he does say that every year!
But I agree with him this time. It was not only more meaningful, but also very emotional. We all realize that it could very well be Joshua's last Christmas. I mean, except for Mike and probably Jamie, as well, who, thankfully, still have not much of an idea about what is going to happen to Josh. Of course, who does? In the end, we just have to wait and see what happens. As Dr. Wilson says when I ask him a question he doesn't really want to answer, 'every patient is different'.
A lot of things have happened in the last few months. I've met Sophia, Josh has been diagnosed, Jamie's started first grade, Ryan's turned eighteen years old- he's an adult now! (who would have said?)... I've changed, as well. I think I'm being more mature now. The situation with Josh has helped me realize many things that I hadn't before, and has helped me see that I'm not the only person who has problem. I admit that I sometimes fall into self pity, can you tell? Oh, I've got four children. Oh, my wife's dead. Oh, I've been used by many people.
That's true.
But other people have problems, too. Look at Micah. He's probably dying. He's only twelve years old, almost thirteen, but still a child. And yet he finds the strength to smile.
By the 27th of December the spirit of Christmas was starting to wind down a bit. The little ones were not playing with their new toys any more, Ryan was staying at home for once (he'd been out with his new car more often than in), Josh had to go back for more chemotherapy (fun, fun, fun!)...
To sum up, we were going back to normal. And I've realized normal isn't really all that bad.
So Josh had his lumbar puncture and all the usual things, and then they started the drip of methrotrexate and of fluids. More fluids this time, hopefully to avoid mouth sores.
It wasn't really that bad. Josh had two of his friends over, Shane and Philip. They didn't seem to be that uncomfortable around the IV's and other "stuff", but then, they'd been there before.
Between them three, and Ben and Luke (two other patients), they were driving the nurses crazy.
I sat on the chair and pretended to read a newspaper, but in fact I was watching the five boys play pranks on the nurses, and pretending I had no idea what was going on. There's one thing I'm not, and that's spoilsport.
Josh looked quite well, actually. His hair, though thin, was there. He'd regained some of the pounds that he'd lost the first month, and his eyes were shining, blue as ever.
The five teased the nurses like you wouldn't believe, and I remembered having some fun like that a long time ago, when Brian was in the hospital, himself.
Seems like, without me knowing it, Josh has turned somewhat into a junior me. I wouldn't dream of telling him that, though, because he would be horrified.