- Text Size +
Chapter Ten

Chapter Ten: Jack and Sally

Alyssa groaned hearing the alarm go off reaching for it just as Nick did her hand on top of his. She quickly pulled away and got up going into the bathroom not caring that she was naked and getting into the shower. She was cranky, he thought but in reality she was just a little freaked out. She let the hot water scald her skin as she thought of the night before.

True she wasn’t freaked out by what they did…of course not…she was mainly concerned with how she felt afterwards that scared the hell out of her. She’d told him…well sort of…he’d fallen asleep before she did and she said it just watching him as she began to drift off to sleep.

Today was going to be their first real test if they could hide their relationship. Her parents, and siblings would be in town today for her graduation ceremony. Thankfully she wasn’t going to commencement which would be four hours long with all the students graduating instead she opted for convocation, which was her school’s own ceremony.

Nick rolled over not quite understanding Alyssa’s behavior especially now. She had always kept him guessing back when things were simple between them. Before he knew how she felt…before they ever were together.

He got up throwing on a pair of boxers going into the bathroom seeing Alyssa come out of the shower with a towel on already laughing to himself remembering the first time he walked in on her in the shower. He caught her arm as she tried to brush past him holding her there. She looked up at him indignantly. He smiled at her, “Hey why the crankiness you’re graduating today?”

“Not cranky….”She stated pulling out of his grasp going into her closet in her old room closing the door to dry off.

He walked in sitting on the bed which was directly across from the door to her closet. “Then why can’t I touch you without you freaking out on me?”

A second later Alyssa came walking out in a strapless black bra and matching boy short underwear her hair still wet from the shower. “Because we can’t be all over each other today.” She answered taking her towel and running it through her hair.

“And why is that?”

Alyssa rolled her eyes and sat next to him, “Because if we want this to work and keep it a secret then you have got to restrain yourself.”

“God I hate this.”

“Why? Most guys would kill for a situation that you’re in, have a girlfriend but remain single to the world.”

He looked at her loving her morning without makeup look. “I’m not most guys. I hate keeping us a secret, besides I think the guys are a little suspicious”

“Do they know something…”

“Ever since they saw the scratches on my back they’ve been wondering whom I’m shacking up with…Alex thinks it’s a dominatrix…Brian and Howie think it’s you.”

Alyssa had to laugh, “Mistress Alyssa…kinda has a nice sound to it huh?” She stated as he cracked up laughing.

“Actually that’s kind of…”

“You say hot and I’m kicking you…we have to revert to our old relationship today. Besides I don’t think you want my dad and my brother to know all the things we’ve done.”

He laughed, “Your brother is a freak from what I’ve heard and you are exactly like your father so I doubt he’d have much to complain about.”

“I’m not like my dad.”

He rolled his eyes, “You have his eyes, his hair, his personality, athleticism, drive…need I go on? Thank God you got your mom’s looks. The guys are gonna think she’s hot.”

“Obviously so does my dad.” She paused getting up as he laughed at her. “Well the three of us kids didn’t just pop up out of nowhere.” Alyssa walked into the bathroom smoothing curl control crème into her hair before taking a hair dryer to it to make sure it laid just right in smooth full layers down her back.

Nick got into the shower glancing every few seconds to Alyssa standing at the mirror that ran the length of the wall. He got out going to his closet pulling on a pair of vintage jeans that Alyssa claims she loves on him and a white linen button down shirt with the sleeves rolled and scrunched up.

He walked back into the bathroom seeing Alyssa walk back in wearing a mid-thigh length hunter green, ‘wave’ burnout silk dress by Ginger and Java with purple, white and pale pink accents on it that had strings for straps that went up in a v-shape from the front of the bust and crossed in the back. “What?” She asked as she put on her diamond stud earrings three on each ear the biggest at her earlobe.

“You look amazing.” He replied behind her wrapping his arms around her waist. His face next to hers due to the heels she was wearing made her only two inches shorter than him than the normal five or six.

She smiled at him turning in his arms “I kinda like being almost as tall as you.”

“I kinda like it too, perfect height for kissing.” He mumbled against her lips.

She giggled and pushed him away, “None of that now, you’ve got to behave.” She stated turning back around applying a little bit of orange cream-sicle flavored lip gloss and then doing her eye makeup leaving only a light liner and little bit of pale lavender shadow that seemed to give her whole face a glow. “Alright I have to go to rehearsal my parents will be here in an hour so should the guys and then come on over to the school ok?”

“Not even one kiss before I get tortured all day?”

She smiled setting down her cap and gown on the counter and walked over to him locking her eyes with his as his arms went around her waist. She put her hand at the back of his neck pulling him into a kiss as she lightly skid her short but newly manicured nails over the back of his neck and into his hair causing goosebumps to break out all over him. Alyssa pulled away with a smirk his eyes still closed. “Happy now?” She asked as she walked over grabbing her cap and gown and walking out. He went down the stairs to see her walk out the door going to her car in the driveway just as the guys all began to pull up. Alyssa waved to them as she drove away.

Kevin, Kristin, Howie and AJ walked up, “Hey where’s she going?” Howie asked.

“Rehearsal…they need to practice how to walk. Where’s Brian and Leighanne?” Nick replied laughing as they walked in the house.

“On their way, they’re stuck in traffic but they’ll be here.”

Lori came walking in the house a second later with Clark, and Kellie in tow. “Hey Blondie.” She said happily greeted Nick.

He rolled his eyes, “So what are you going to do with that shiny microbiology masters degree you worked so hard for?” He asked.

“No fucking clue.” She stated. “I was actually thinking of becoming a photographer.”

Clark smiled at her, “She takes better pictures than I do and it’s my job!” He exclaimed proudly.

Nick smiled back looking at the two of them as they stood holding each other…that’s how he and Alyssa should be. “Lori you’re all glowy I don’t think I’ve seen you like this before.” He said with a smile.

“That’s because Clark proposed yesterday.” Lori admitted blushing a little.

Nick got a shocked look on his face, “Seriously?”

“Yep, I mean we’re not going get married quite yet but we will when the time is right.” Clark answered.

Nick stood up smiling at them, “Damn man congratulations.”

Olivia and Angela walked through the door, “What’s congratulations for?”

“Seems you’re little brother is getting hitched.” Nick replied happy to see Olivia giving her a hug.

Olivia looked at her brother in amazement, “Damn Rhett are you trying to make this a Monroe family celebration? Alyssa’s graduating, you’re engaged, mom and dad are going to renew their vows, geez what’s next?”

“Alyssa is gonna fall in love that’s what should happen next.” Lori stated as everyone looked at Nick.

He immediately tried to look indignant, “Just because I’m in love with her doesn’t mean she’s going to love me back.” He said with a small glare directed at Lori.

Olivia rolled her eyes, “She’s my baby sister, I used to change her diapers, I think I’d know her by now. And believe me if she doesn’t love you I’d sure like to know why she’s still single then.” Olivia remarked as Michael rolled his eyes at the comment.

Nick rolled his eyes, “Angela help me out here…”

Angela laughed, “Oh no, you’re on your own against the brunette trio.” She remarked using the nickname they had both given to Olivia, Clark and Alyssa, all of course being brunette and Angela and Nick being the only blondes. “Besides you’re family anyways.” Angela added just as Jameson and Mary, Alyssa’s parents knocked on the door walking in.

Nick smiled seeing Alyssa’s parents, many times he wished he’d gotten parents like them. “Jamie…Mary.” He greeted them.

“Nick it’s good to see you alive and well.” Jameson replied with a smile pulling him into a hug.

“I’m just so excited today! Our baby is graduating college.” Mary gushed.

“Oh there’s even better news Mom.” Clark added.

She looked over at him smiling expectantly, “Lori and I are engaged.” He stated smiling.

“Oh my…First Olivia and her wonderful news, then Alyssa’s graduation, and Clark is engaged!”

“What news?” Nick asked looking at Olivia.

She sighed, “I wanted to tell Ali first but anyways Angela and I are going to adopt.”

“That’s awesome Ollie….wait a second you and Angela?” Nick asked with a shocked look on his face.

Olivia laughed, “Yeah….I thought all of you would have figured it out by now, but we’ve been together since college. Ali knew of course but she stayed quiet for me.”

“I’m happy for you honey.” Clark replied.

After introducing the other guys to Alyssa’s parents they all sat down talking and joking around. Brian, Leighanne and Baylee came walking in last as everyone erupted in laughter at Olivia’s joke. “Whoa I think we missed the party.” Brian said holding his son laughing.

“Nah man right on time, Brian, Leigh these are Alyssa’s parents Jameson and Mary Monroe.”

“It’s nice to meet you.” Leighanne replied smiling.

“Well it’s nice to finally meet Nick’s band mates he’s only known our daughter for how long now?” Jameson answered warmly.

“Just over 8 years.” Nick replied.

“Seems like yesterday, Ali was only 12 then.”

“Yep.”

Jameson smiled at him he’d always liked Nick, figuring that his friendship with his daughter would be a good influence on them both, thankfully it had been. “Anyways, where is she?”

“Rehearsal.”

“Ah.”

Mary smiled, “So how’s the album going? Alyssa told me you boys were working on a new one.”

“It’s going really well, we went and did a little touring over in Asia and it was amazing.”

“I’m so glad you boys are doing well. You know me I worry even about you.” She replied.

Nick smiled, “Yeah, Alyssa’s been doing really well, in school and everything.”

“She gets it from my side.” Jameson proudly boasted.

“Oh hush you, might I remind you that I’m still working as a heart surgeon and you sir are retired.”

“Why work if you don’t have to is what I say, besides one can only win so many Pulitzer’s before you have to go out on top.”

“You’ve won a Pulitzer?” Kevin asked.

“He’s won two.” Mary admitted proudly.

Jameson sighed, “That was before I was diagnosed with colon cancer a few years back. I promptly retired and worked on keeping myself healthy.” He explained.

“Must have been rough, my dad passed away at 39 from it.” Kevin replied.

“It was but they caught it early enough to treat it which I thank my lucky stars for everyday.”

Nick smiled at them as his mind wondered what it would be like to really be apart of the family, not just be considered a member. Shaking his head he looked at his watch, “Guys we gotta get moving or we’re going to be late.” He announced as everyone got up going to their cars.

At the ceremony…

Nick searched the auditorium looking for Alyssa as the students filed in to the obligatory pomp and circumstance music. Once spotting her, he pointed her out to her parents and siblings whom he was sitting next to, in the middle of….he loved this being part of her family.

After an hour and a half Nick saw Alyssa’s row finally stand up and he smiled. Alyssa had been looking up into the crowd searching for Nick, or her family. She soon spotted Nick and smiled waving a little as she stood on the side waiting her turn.

“Alyssa Mackenzie Monroe…” The dean spoke pausing a moment.

“THAT’S OUR SISTER!” Clark and Olivia screamed as the rest of them cheered and clapped.

Alyssa laughed blushing a little as she bent down a little so that her thesis chair Professor Dietrich could place the hood over her gown. As this happened the dean began to speak again, “Miss Monroe’s thesis chair was Dr. Jennifer Dietrich. Also she is one of our youngest graduates receiving her master’s degree in English Literature and Literature History at the age of 21 and will be receiving the award for excellence above all in both sports and academics.” Alyssa smiled proudly as she walked over taking her degree and award before going back and sitting down with her classmates.

“Did you know she was getting the award? She seemed pretty surprised.” Nick leaned over asking Lori and Kellie.

“Coach told us she wasn’t supposed to know.” Lori answered back.

Nick smiled leaning back in his seat not caring that they had the whole other half of the alphabet to get through. He was just happy seeing her graduate that he didn’t even notice when the dean said. “Congratulations class of fall 2004.”

They all waited for the graduates to leave the auditorium before filing out to the lobby. Nick spotted Alyssa immediately, having already taken off her cap and gown and talking with her fellow graduates. “ALYSSA!” He shouted across the room as she turned around smiling saying goodbye to her friends before practically running over and being picked up in a huge hug by him swinging her around a little as she squealed laughing.

Everyone laughed at the display, especially Mary and Jameson, they’d been hoping for a long time that Nick and Alyssa would get together, and they were still holding out. Nick set Alyssa down as she smiled showing him her plaque and makeshift degree until her official one came in the mail. “Mom, Dad I’m so happy you made it.” Alyssa exclaimed coming over to them pulling them both into a hug.

“Honey we’re so proud of you!” Mary exclaimed as they broke the hug.

Alyssa beamed happily brushing her hair over her shoulder just as Lori came up to her, “Hey graduate.” Lori said smiling.

“Hey!” Alyssa replied pulling her into a quick hug. Her eyes strayed to Lori’s hand seeing the diamond ring on it. “OH.MY.GOD...is that what I think it is?”

Lori saw what Alyssa was looking and smiled bigger, “Yeah...”

Alyssa immediately pulled Lori into a tight bear hug exclaiming, “You’re gonna be my sister!”

“Ali...let...go...need oxygen.” Lori managed to spit out as Alyssa let her go as they both started laughing.

“Alyssa?” Professor Dietrich asked.

Alyssa turned smiling brightly, “Dr. Dietrich, I wanted to thank you for being my thesis chair. And I’d like you to meet my friends and family.”

Professor Dietrich smiled, “No problem Alyssa it was a pleasure to work with you.”

“Thanks...”Alyssa stated blushing a little, “Dr. Dietrich I’d like you to meet my parents Jamie and Mary...My roommate and best friend Nick and his band mates....”

“Oh so this is your roommate I’ve heard a lot about you.”

Nick smiled a little surprised that Alyssa talked about him, “It’s nice to meet you too I’ve heard so much about you from Alyssa.”

“Well I hope nothing too horrible.”

“No she spoke very highly of you and your classes that she’s taken.”

The professor smiled, “Well I’m glad to hear that it’s so nice to meet all of you....”Turning to Alyssa she began, “And I’m so happy that you’ve decided to join us here at UCLA. You’re going to make a great addition...remember if you need anything just email me or call.”

“Thank you Dr. Dietrich really I couldn’t have done this without your help.” Alyssa admitted smiling.

“No problem, and call me Jennifer, after all we are colleagues now. Anyways I have to go I’ll see you around alright?” The professor said turning to leave.

“Of course…” Alyssa said happily. She turned to everyone who had a surprised but confused look on their faces. “What?”

“Colleague?” Nick asked.

Alyssa smiled brighter, “I’ll explain at lunch....LET’S GO!” She exclaimed walking out of the lobby. She turned to Nick who was right beside her. “Hey I couldn’t find my cell phone this morning do you know where it is?”

“Nope...”

“Oh well I’ll find it later...do you want to take my car or go with the guys?”

He smiled, “I’ll go with you it’s not like they’ve never been to Mr. Chow’s before.”

“So Ali honey where are we going?” Mary asked.

Alyssa and Nick stopped on their way to her car turning, “Mr. Chow’s Lori will show you how to get there.”

“Where are you going?” Kevin asked smiling a little at Nick and Alyssa’s behavior.

Nick smiled a little, “Going with Ali we’ll meet ya there ok?”

“Alright...” Kevin answered as they watched Alyssa and Nick walk towards her car. He turned to her parents and siblings and asked, “Are they always like that?”

Lori laughed a little, along with Olivia and Angela. “You see it too huh?” Jameson asked back.

“Something has to be going on with them.” Brian stated.

Lori rolled her eyes, “If there is something going on they’re doing a good job of hiding it.” She said with a small laugh as everyone got in their cars.

Meanwhile....

“So umm when were you planning on telling me that you got a job?” Nick asked a little miffed that she could have a job and not be able to go with him that spring.

Alyssa rolled her eyes as she drove and glanced at him a second before turning her eyes back on the road. “Who said I had a job?” She asked playfully.

“Your professor said you were her colleague now.”

Well he had her on that one. She moved one hand from the steering wheel and placed it on his knee reassuring him, “Hey...I’ll explain at lunch...trust me you’ll like it.” She replied as they pulled up to the restaurant getting out and handing her keys to the valet. They stood outside waiting for the others before going in. “Nick give me your sidekick I’m gonna call Lori and ask what the hold up is.”

“No need.”

Alyssa looked up at him a little confused, “Why?” Nick nodded towards the parking lot’s entrance seeing the three cars pull up.

Once everyone walked up they all went to the hostess, “Carter party of 17, you have the upper private party room this way.”

Alyssa looked at Nick a little surprised that they’d gotten a private area. He smiled back at her as everyone walked up the stairs to the room. Nick pulled Alyssa to the side letting everyone go in first and the two of them last. Alyssa started laughing when she saw the decorations...all Nightmare Before Christmas with little strings of Jack Skelington heads that lit up draped over the large round table. “Alright...whose idea was it?” She asked smiling.

Lori and Kellie both pointed at Nick causing Alyssa to laugh. “What? You love that movie.”

“I know but thank you.” She said as everyone sat down. The waitress soon came in taking their drink and lunch orders before disappearing again.

“So honey, what’s this about Dr. Dietrich?” Mary asked still a little bit confused.

Alyssa smiled, “Well while I was working on my thesis Dr. Dietrich...Jennifer... came to me with a job opportunity and after thinking it over I decided that I couldn’t pass it up...” Alyssa turned seeing Nick’s face fall a little at the news she’d gotten a job. “I’d be an Associate Professor for the undergraduate program under Jennifer and I’d be teaching two classes: World Literature and Literature History.”

“So you won’t be joining us on tour this spring?” Howie asked noticing Nick’s expression.

Alyssa sighed and smiled a little again, “Well that all depends.”

“On?” Nick asked getting a little hopeful.

“Whether or not you guys have an internet connection wherever you go.” She stated making Nick look at her a little confused.

“Not to sound like a blonde here but…Why would an internet connection help?” Leighanne asked.

Alyssa grinned chuckling a bit, “Because the two classes that I’m teaching are internet-only classes, which means that as long as I have my laptop and a connection that I can go...if of course you still want me to.” She explained as Nick grinned happily as he moved his hand under the table to hold hers.

“Of course we want you to come along, someone’s gotta keep him in line.” Kevin stated laughing a little as Nick shot him a look.

Alyssa laced her fingers with his squeezing his hand a little, happy for the contact. “Well what do you think?” She asked.

“So you essentially get to have your cake and eat it too huh?” Lori asked making everyone look at her. “What all I’m saying is that she can travel so Nick won’t complain and still have her career and make her own money so it’s not like she’s living off of his money.” Lori explained as their food came in.

“Exactly, Jennifer knew that I wanted to travel with you guys and that all the other positions I’d been offered were all stationary and required me to stay in California or move to another state.” Alyssa replied before digging in to her giant cheese burger.

The conversation lulled while everyone dug into their meals, after most had either finished or were still picking at their food Mary announced, “I think it’s time for you to have this honey.”

Alyssa looked at her strangely glancing between her parents and the knowing smiles Olivia and Clark were giving each other. “What is this momma?” She asked taking the envelope from her mother.

“Well honey, when we first found out we were expecting you, we opened up a savings account and safety deposit box as we did before with Clark and Olivia. And every month we’d add to the bank account with portions of our salaries to be saved and accrue interest until you graduated college.” Jameson explained as Alyssa opened the envelope pulling the card out first reading the note her mother had written:

This is something we did for each of our children so that you could start your lives after college without having to worry about expenses. We’re so proud of you honey and we know you’ll do great things.

Love always,

Momma and Daddy.

Alyssa smiled reading the card then pulled the other papers out of the envelope unfolding them seeing account information and a list of priceless family items that were in the safety deposit box. She gasped at seeing the numbers on the savings account, “Mom do you realize how much money this is?” She asked.

They smiled at her, “Why do you think we worked so hard all these years it was to give you three a good base to start your life.”

“But mom, I think 5 million is a little much!” She replied with a chuckle.

Jamie smiled, “Well that’s what happens after 21 years of saving with a 5% fixed interest rate.”

“5 million?” Nick asked a little astonished.

“Yeah, seems I’m kinda rich now.” Alyssa said laughing.

“Well we did this so that each of you could do whatever you want after you graduated.”

“Yeah Ali how do you think I bought my house?” Olivia asked.

“Or how I was able to open my own photo studio and start as a photojournalist?” Clark asked also.

“How come I didn’t know?”

Jamie sighed, “We wanted you kids to grow up humble and grounded so we kept it a secret until each of you graduated and asked Olivia and Clark to keep quiet until you graduated.”

“Wow, so what should I do with it?” Alyssa asked.

“Well you can keep saving it, spend it, invest it...anything you want hon it’s yours.” Mary explained.

Alyssa leaned over hugging her parents, “Thank you so much really I’m so unbelievably shocked right now.” She said sitting back down as Nick handed her a little box.

“I know you said not to get you anything unless it would help you with your career but here.”

She rolled her eyes at him as she opened it pulling out a brand new sidekick. “So this is why I couldn’t find my cell phone huh?”

“Yeah that and it has all your numbers, emails, and everything loaded up already I figured since it had an organizer too it’d help you out if you got a job and all.”

She smiled and pulled him into a hug, “Thank you.”

“You’re welcome that and you were always stealing mine to play games on it so I had to get you one.”

She laughed a little then looked down in the box seeing two plain white envelopes, “What’s this?” She asked.

“A card and the other is something for you to read later.” He explained.

Alyssa opened the card reading the little saying recognizing the lyrics immediately as she read them silently:

My dearest friend, if you don't mind I'd like to join you by your side. Where we can gaze into the stars. And sit together, now and forever. For it is plain as anyone can see. We're simply meant to be. (**)

Congratulations Lissa

All my love

From your Jack to my Sally…

She smiled biting back tears and pulled him to hug him again and kissed his cheek. “Ali we got this from the team as well to say good bye to Triple trouble.” Lori said handing her a shirt box.

Alyssa opened the box moving the tissue paper and began to laugh hysterically at the front of the tee shirt. “What?” Everyone asked.

She lifted it up showing the front that had a blown up ‘Hello my name is…’ logo on the front with the nickname Shock printed beneath it. She looked at the back seeing all of the lyrics to the song from Nightmare Before Christmas called Kidnap the Sandy Claws and indicated which part were the character Shock’s, and her cohorts Lock and Barrel. “This is the funniest shirt ever! It’s even got the lyrics on the back.”

“I know Lori got her’s as Lock and I got mine as Barrel.” Kellie said laughing with her.

“See I told you three were those characters.” Nick shot back. “Lis is the mastermind always plotting something, Lori’s the funny one, and Kel’s the…”

“Bubbly Fashionista!” Alyssa interjected finishing his sentence.

“Exactly.” He replied as they both started to laugh.

Mary and Olivia smiled at them both noticing a major change in Alyssa’s behavior and mood that gave her a happy glow. “Alyssa you seem so different to me somehow.” Mary stated causing Lori and Kellie to simultaneously choke on their sodas.

Alyssa looked over at her two friends giving them a quick glare to be quiet, “Well you know I graduated, which means no more school. That and I’ve made some major changes in my life and I couldn’t be happier right now with my friends and family.” Alyssa replied glancing at Nick for a second.

“Like what?” AJ asked.

“Well, little things mostly, just in how I handle things and my relationships with my friends and who I’m with and hang out with you know.” She replied as she held on to Nick’s hand underneath the table as he fought the urge to just kiss her.

Late that afternoon…

Alyssa sat at her desk in her new shirt as she looked over the copy of the contract she’d signed and turned in to the human resources department at UCLA. She put that down and looked at the envelope next to her. She wanted to read it but was a little apprehensive as to what it might say. ‘Screw it.’ She thought and opened the envelope pulling out a piece of paper. She looked out the door hearing Nick down in the living room watching a sports game. He’d told her to read it when he wasn’t around but she really wanted to know what he had told her. Her eyes turned back to the paper in front of her seeing his nearly illegible handwriting:

Lissa,

I love you with all my heart. Saying that is the most important so I’ll start there. You’ve been there for me through everything…every heartbreak…every success and every failure in my life. You have always made me realize things that I never thought were possible. I realize now that I’ve always loved you from the first day we met....as much as that may make me a pedophile since you were only 12. But from that first day I knew that you were different, something special that I had to keep in my life.

Do you remember New Years Eve when I came to visit? I remember that night so clearly, I’d asked you where your favorite place to be kissed was. You’d said you’d never been kissed so I gave you your first kiss. I was hoping that night that maybe we’d be together someday. I was disappointed when you didn’t say anything back that night. But I held out hope that you’d somehow feel the same.The night you were in the hospital I was a wreck, and when you woke up I was so relieved that you were ok that I made a promise to myself to make sure that you’d never feel alone again. That’s why I moved out to LA, took you on tour with me, I couldn’t bear the thought of you hurting yourself again.

I know that every time I had someone it hurt you, I realize that now. It hurt me too every time you had someone in your life. I wanted it to be me. And every time I was with someone I desperately wanted them to be you but they couldn’t and never could be you. I know that you’re afraid to love someone again after what happened with Collin. I know that on some level you still blame yourself for his death. You think that people you love will be taken away from you. And for that I promise you that I won’t leave you. I wouldn’t have survived this long without you.

Alyssa you’ve made me grow up in a lot of ways just by knowing you. You know how I say that my solo tour taught me to be a better man? That’s because you were there by my side supporting me the whole way...emotionally and mentally. I just hope that you see how much I love you and know that though I’ve made my fair share of mistakes that being with you, as friends, as lovers has been the best decision that I’ve ever made.

Always remember that.

Nick

Alyssa re-read the letter over and over wiping the tears that had fallen down her face. She opened her desk drawer to put the letter away, when she saw the two tickets to Australia. Getting an idea she pulled them out and picked up the phone dialing the airline. “Continental Airlines how may I help you?”

“Hi I have two first class tickets to Australia is there any chance that there might be a flight out tonight?” Alyssa asked grabbing a pen.

Alyssa heard the lady clicking away at what sounded to be a computer, “Hmmm yes we have two first class seats open with a short layover in Honolulu that leaves in three hours from LAX.”

“Alright I’ll take that, so do I just take the tickets that I have?”

“Yes come to the flight desk and we’ll exchange them out free of charge.”

“Thank you we’ll be there in about an hour.” Alyssa said before hanging up the phone only to pick it up again calling Kellie.

“Hello?” Kellie answered a little out of breath.

“Hey Kel it’s Ali.”

“Yeah what’s up chica?” She asked.

Alyssa smiled, “Does your dad still own that private beach house near Sydney Harbor in Australia?”

Kellie thought a moment, “Yeah he gave me a set of keys a while back.”

“You think I could use the place for a week?”

“Umm yeah sure what for?”

“I’m taking Nick on a surprise vacation.”

Kellie laughed, “A romantic vacation for two to Australia...very nice Ali...but yeah give me twenty minutes and I’ll be over to give you the keys and drive you to the airport.”

“Thanks hon.”

“Welcome sweets.”

Now a ball of energy Alyssa bounded down the stairs and moved to sit on Nick’s waist straddling him. “Whoa.”

“I know, but I have a question for you.”

“Yeah?” He asked focusing on her face and how she was smiling at him.

She smiled bigger, “How fast can you pack a week’s worth of clothing?”

He arched an eyebrow wondering where she was going with this. “Umm pretty fast why?”

“Then get packed because Kellie is going to take us to the airport our flight leaves in three hours.” Alyssa said standing up then bolting up the stairs.

Nick got up going after her seeing two bags for each of them lying on their bed already. “Umm where are we going?”

Alyssa came out of the bathroom holding a stack of beach clothes and outfits for clubbing and going out as she put them in her bag. “Remember that the guys gave me two tickets to Australia?”

“Yeah?” He replied pulling clothes out and putting them in his bag as well.

“Well Kellie’s dad owns a private beach house not too far from Sydney Harbor so, you and I have it for a week.”

“Seriously?” Nick asked as she handed him a bag with his toiletries in it.

She smiled, “Yep Kellie is going to be here in a few minutes to take us to the airport and give me the keys.” She walked over to him smiling a little bigger.

Nick pulled her to him leaning down and kissing her softly, “So what made you want to do this spur of the moment trip?”

Alyssa sighed and walked back over zipping up both her bags having completed packing. “Well I read the letter and I thought what better way to say thank you than a trip for two to a place I’ve never been and you happen to love.”

“Wow, ok so I’m just about done and you’re done packing so what’s next?”

“Get your passport, and bring your cell phones. But leave them off we’ll check messages, this is going to be a no interruption vacation.” Alyssa stated changing into a tee-shirt and shorts with flip-flops.

Nick smiled at her and stayed in his jeans and a white tee-shirt grabbing a hat and sunglasses not really wanting to be recognized. They both heard the doorbell go off a minute later as they pulled their things down the stairs leaving them by the door. Nick answered it seeing Kellie on the other side smiling, “Hey Kel.”

“Hey, did you know there are paparazzi camped outside?”

Nick rolled his eyes and looked out the window seeing about three photographers waiting to catch a glimpse. “Damnit when are they ever going to stop?”

“Well Paris has a new boy toy...named Paris and they want your reaction.” Kellie answered.

Alyssa saw what they were looking at and got an idea. “Excuse me for a second.”

“What are you doing?”

Alyssa laughed at him, “Getting the mail, and getting rid of them.” She said as she walked out and down to the mail box which was just where the photographers were standing. “Excuse me guys just need to get Mr. Carter’s mail.”

“Are you his girlfriend?” One of them asked.

Alyssa tried to look offended, “No, he’s single, I’m just his personal assistant here to accompany him on a business trip to New York.”

“Is he still not over Paris?” Another asked.

Alyssa laughed, “He’s very over her, he’s just single and out having fun, now if you’d excuse me, we need to get going so if you could please leave the premises you wouldn’t want me to have to involve the police for harassment now would you?” She watched as they grumbled and got into their SUVs and drove off. Grabbing the mail Alyssa turned and walked back up to the front door walking in handing Nick the mail which was mostly junk.

“How in the hell did you pull that off?” Kellie asked astonished.

“They asked if I was his girlfriend and I said no he’s single I’m just his personal assistant and then they asked about Paris and I was like he’s very over her and threatened that I’d call the cops if they did vacate the premises.” Alyssa explained grabbing her bags and walking them out to the car.

“Damn that’s funny.”

“Yeah that’s Ali alright she’d do that stuff all the time when I had her on tour with me. She’s pretty good at handling the assholes that follow me around.” Nick replied taking his bags, locking up the house, including the security code and putting them in Kellie’s truck getting in.

Kellie got in seeing the two of them sitting in the back of her Escalade holding hands. “Alright you two ready to go?”

“Yeah...” They said in unison as Kellie pulled out of his driveway.

(**) Finale Reprised from The Nightmare Before Christmas