- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Well here is ch 23, hope you all like it! Let me know =)
Chapter Twenty-Three

Chapter Twenty-Three: Happy Anniversary

Alyssa laughed a little seeing Baylee’s face covered in finger paint. “Baylee that’s supposed to go on the paper, silly kid!” She exclaimed grabbing a wet cloth dabbing his face clean.

Baylee giggled as he tried to squirm away. Once his face was clean he handed Alyssa a piece of paper with a cute drawing of a house and two stick figures holding hands. “This for you Aunt Ali.” He stated giggling a little.

Alyssa took the paper and smiled at it, “Thanks kiddo, who are these people?” She asked pointing to the stick figures.

Baylee giggled, “This is Nick and that’s you, Aunt Ali!!” He exclaimed smiling.

Alyssa giggled right back at him, she loved babysitting for Brian and Leighanne, just because it gave her an excuse to hang out with Baylee. It made her wonder just what it would have been like if she hadn’t had a miscarriage. Just then Nick walked back into the hotel room smiling at the display in front of him. Alyssa sitting at a little table playing finger paints with Baylee. He tried to sneak by them but no sooner did he step past the couch Baylee looked up and squealed. Alyssa turned around grinning, “Hey, you’re back early.” Alyssa stated.

“Nick!!!” Baylee yelled as he ran over to him. Nick picked him up getting finger paint on his face and tee-shirt.

Alyssa giggled at them standing up and walking over to them, “Nick you have paint on your face now.”

“It’ll wash off right?” Nick asked.

“Yeah”

“Then don’t worry about it!” He stated leaning over giving her a sweet kiss making Baylee giggle.

Alyssa looked at the two of them smiling, “Come on kiddo, we gotta clean you up or your Momma is gonna kill me.”

Alyssa reached for him but Nick stopped her, “I got him, why don’t you clean up a little in here and I’ll get him cleaned up.” He stated walking into the bathroom still holding Baylee.

She grinned a little and went around the room grabbing the toys up putting them in Baylee’s little bag and cleaning up the mess they’d made painting. Nick walked out a second later setting Baylee down as he ran over to Alyssa who was crouched down on the floor. She smiled and gave him a hug talking with him laughing a little.

Nick watched them closely loving how Alyssa interacted with him. He wasn’t all too surprised when he thought of Alyssa being a mom. How amazing she’d be at it, a real mom, a mother who cared more about her children than her career.

A week later…

Alyssa sat back giggling as she drank a little more of her merlot. “Seriously now Ali tell us.” Kristin coaxed.

“Why do you want to know about my past boyfriends?” She stated looking at everyone.

AJ decided to pipe up, “Because genius over there won’t tell us.” He stated pointing at Nick.

Alyssa laughed again, “Where do you want me to start?”

“First kiss!” Kristin exclaimed.

“That would be Nick, New Years Eve 1999.” Alyssa replied smiling at him for a second.

Kevin laughed a little, “Ok first boyfriend.”

“Eric Reynolds. I was a freshmen and he was a junior. He was really hot, he and I had a ton in common.”

“Like?”

Alyssa sighed thinking a moment, “We both loved theater, and both happen to like boys.” She stated pausing giggling a little at everyone’s reaction, “He was so freaked out when he finally admitted that he was gay. He told me and he and I were inseparable for a while to keep people guessing, we never confirmed nor denied that we dated. Mostly to save each other the embarrassment of his coming out after a hetero relationship.”

“Alright keep going from there.” Brian encouraged smiling a little.

She smiled back, “After that I dated around, no one got more than a second date for a while. Then I met Collin, at soccer try-outs. He was this punked out boy who was such a sweetheart. He was my first love, we were treated like the royals of the soccer teams, us both being on the varsity teams. Kellie, Collin and I would practice together on the weekends.” She paused taking a deep breath, “He was on his way to see me one night, because I was upset my dad had been diagnosed with cancer, and…that was the night he was killed.”

Nick gripped her hand and kissed her temple, knowing she’d need a little pick me up. She gave him a little half grin. “So what about after Collin?” Leighanne asked.

“I stayed single for a while, I needed the time to heal and move on. I didn’t date until Tommy.”

“Tommy?” Howie asked getting a perplexed expression on his face.

Alyssa giggled, “Yep, Tommy Lee, we only dated for like a month in late 2002, he was a complete gentleman the entire time, never expected anything.”

“Yeah because I would have killed him if he tried.” Nick added.

Lee giggled at Nick’s reaction, “How come it ended?” She asked.

“He said that he needed to focus on work and that he’d like to be friends.”

Nick snickered, “That’s what he told you?”

Alyssa thought a moment before staring at him in shock, “You sly son of a…”

“What did you do?” AJ asked looking at Nick.

Nick rolled his eyes, “He caught me staring at her…”

Tommy moved letting Alyssa stand up, “Where ya going doll?” He asked.

Alyssa turned and grinned, “I’m gonna grab some popcorn, you boys want some?” She asked looking between Tommy and Nick.

“Sure, Liss that’d be great, you want any help?” Nick replied.

“I think I can handle the microwave.” She giggled patting him on the shoulder before walking towards the kitchen. Both men stared at her intently.

Tommy turned to look at Nick who’s eyes had yet to move off of Alyssa’s body. Nick followed her hips imagining what they’d feel like pinned underneath him, moving against his own. He shook his head mentally cursing at himself. Tommy recognized the look on Nick’s face. “You like her don’t you?”

“What?” Nick asked. “Nah, man you know it’s just Alyssa.”

Tommy snicker-snorted at him, “Ok Nick keep telling yourself that, I saw you look at her.”

“And? You’re dating her. I’m not that much of an asshole.” He shot back laughing a little.

“Man why didn’t you tell me you have a serious thing for this girl?”

Nick rolled his eyes, “Because you said you liked her.”

“I do like her, but I think you’re in serious lust with the girl.”

Nick laughed, “Not lust…well ok I can’t deny that I’d give up a few major organs to have that wake up next to me…but it’s not like that I just…”

“Want her?”

“God yeah, all of her, but it’s not an option. She still sees me as Leslie’s dorky older brother.”

“I think she might see more than that bro…”

“So that’s why he broke up with me? Because he figured out that you liked me?” Alyssa asked.

“Yeah, he figured that it wasn’t fair.”

Alyssa shook her head laughing, “Anyways after Tommy was Michael. He was a good boyfriend, but there wasn’t a spark.”

“Spark?” Kevin asked a bit amused at her story.

Alyssa grinned, “Spark as in chemistry, he was sweet, really attentive but there was absolutely no chemistry between us. We’d make out and I’d be more bored than anything.”

“Didn’t seem bored to me.” Nick blurted out.

Alyssa raised her eyebrows looking at him a moment, “I tried to get a spark but no matter how hard I tried there was nothing. Everytime I came to you for advice, that was why I was unhappy. I seriously freaked out when he told me he loved me.”

“Why?”

“Because it was COMPLETELY one sided, I didn’t love him, hell I was just barely beginning to like him and he goes and says that! Which in a way I was kind of glad that Nick started to take up all of my time, it gave me an escape from a mundane relationship that was seriously going no where. That and it made matters worse that I’m in love with Nick, they were really close back then and I kind of feel responsible for why they don’t talk anymore.”

“He was just pissed because he knew how I felt about you. And he’s the one who asked you out. I warned him not to, so don’t feel like you’re responsible, he knew how I felt and asked you out anyway.”

Alyssa got a shocked expression, “You’re kidding me? That explains a lot.”

“Like what?” Brian asked.

“He’d fight with me, about how much time I was spending with Nick and not with him…”

“I cannot believe you Michael, he’s my best friend!” Alyssa exclaimed.

Michael’s jaw tightened clenching his fists, “He’s monopolizing all of your time, you never get a moment to be with me! You’re always busy, either with school or with him!!”

Alyssa’s eyes got wide, now she was really pissed off, “Well I’m so sorry that my school and my job mean so much to me! My God I’m in college taking a double course load! And on top of that I’m the personal assistant to a fucking POP STAR! Those alone take up a lot of time but together, it’s true I don’t get a lot of time to myself but I love what I’m doing!” Alyssa stated screaming.

Nick walked in at that moment shirtless wearing a pair of flannel pajama pants. He stared at the two of them in disbelief, “What the hell is going on?” He asked a bit angry to have been woken up by their screams.

Alyssa and Michael turned to him, Michael’s anger flared when he noticed Nick’s eyes dragging slowly across Alyssa’s body. “You asshole, you never let her have a moment to herself!” He yelled getting in Nick’s face.

“Please, maybe she doesn’t want to be around you so she hangs out with me instead!” Nick shot back.

Alyssa got in between the two of them pushing Michael off of Nick. That move alone only served to make Michael angrier. “You’re defending him?!? I can’t fucking believe this, you’re my girlfriend and you’re defending HIM?!”

Alyssa took a breath trying to contain her anger, “He’s MY BEST FRIEND! He’s been there for me when no one else could or would. So don’t you fucking dare try to make me choose where my loyalties lie.” She yelled back. Nick put his hands on her shoulders trying his best to quell her anger. She looked over her shoulder at him before breaking away.

“Mike seriously stop it. You’re making too much out of this.” Nick reasoned going over to him.

Michael clenched his fist bringing it back and hitting Nick square in the jaw knocking him on the ground. Alyssa rushed over falling to her knees next to Nick, “My God are you ok?” She asked. She looked up at Michael, “What the hell are you doing? God Michael!” She screamed before looking back over at Nick who was now sitting trying to wipe the blood coming out of his lip. Michael stormed out of the hotel room and Alyssa sighed looking at Nick, “God you’re bleeding.” She stated getting up going into the bathroom grabbing two hand towels filling one with ice and wetting down the other. She walked in seeing him standing now still shirtless. “Sit on the couch.” She semi-commanded.

He followed noticing how sweet she was being to him. “Lissa you don’t have to do this, I’m a grown man I can take care of myself.”

Alyssa rolled her eyes as she took the wet towel carefully applied it to the cut on his lower lip. “You defended my honor, and got slugged for it. This is the least I can do to say thank you.” She replied carefully wiping away the blood that was left. She took the other towel full of ice and brought it up to his jaw, “This is going to be cold.” She warned before placing it on the already bruised region of his jaw.

He groaned at the contact, he was a little more than happy that she was paying such close attention to him. He took the ice towel out of her hand and held it to his jaw hoping that it wouldn’t swell too bad. She smiled and kissed him on the cheek a move that made his heart flutter and his breathing become shallow.

“After that I just kept pushing him away until he dumped me.”

Kristin laughed, “So what happened after that.”

Alyssa looked at Nick wondering if she should say what was next, since she had never told him about it. “Well, it’s kind of complicated, see Nick found out that I liked someone and kept trying to figure out who. And by the time I was ready to say something a certain hotel heiress had already distracted him.”

“Wait, that whole time you wouldn’t say anything about it, you were talking about me?”

Alyssa rolled her eyes, “Yes Blondie, you didn’t seem to notice the huge hints I’d been dropping.” She stated as he got a bewildered look on his face and she sighed before continuing, “Every time you’d ask me if you knew the guy and I’d say ‘you could say that’ I was being sarcastic!”

Nick thought a moment, “Damnit I owe Lori a thousand bucks now.”

“What?” Howie asked laughing.

Nick shook his head, “Lori made a bet with me. I was trying to figure it out and she acted like she didn’t know but she said that if it turned out to be me that I owed her a thousand dollars.”

Alyssa giggled, “That’s also why I got so quiet when you told me about Paris. I was pissed at you, but more at myself for not saying anything sooner.”

Nick placed a hand on her leg drumming his fingers on her skin that peeked below the burgundy dress she’d been wearing. “I’m sorry, that whole thing with her was just complete idiocy on my part.”

Late that night…

Alyssa sighed a little sitting at her computer. Nick looked over at her with a concerned look on his face. “Are you ok sugar?” He asked.

She looked over at him before getting up going into her bag grabbing a beat up black and white speckled composition book flipping to a certain page and handing it to him. “Read this, I want you to know why I’ve been so quiet since the restaurant.”

He looked up at her taking the journal from her seeing her handwriting inside. “Your journal?” He asked.

“Just read it.” She stated going back over to the laptop reading one of her student’s papers.

He looked at the words beginning to read it silently.

May 30th, 2004

I’ve had yet another bad day. Summer session started today and my teachers are fucking insane. Tom is ok he’s really sweet but he’s not Nick. Speaking of, I’m so fucking pissed at Nick right now, I mean why can’t he see me? He’s been complaining non-fucking-stop about Paris and how she’ll be all sweet one minute and the next she’ll be a complete bitch to him.

I swear to God I’m going to smack the hell out of her one of these days. He claims he’s so in love with her and she treats him like shit! True he’s not exactly an angel, he cheats and he doesn’t even hide it anymore.

He’s not the Nick I know anymore, he’s different…… unhappy and it’s affecting him personally and professionally. He’s frustrated about everything lately and it hurts me to see him like this. I wish he’d see me, see that I love him, that I want to be the one he wants to wake up next to.

When she’s around I’m so fucking jealous it’s not even funny anymore. It’s gotten to the point where I’ll have Tom over just to keep me distracted from thinking about him. I can’t keep pining away for a man that sees me as this sexless roommate that he complains to about his love life.

Kel and Lori keep telling me to be patient that eventually he’ll come around and see that I’m not 12 years old anymore, that I’m a woman and not a little girl anymore. I’m beginning to think that he never will.

Nick looked up from the journal and over at Alyssa then back to the journal. He flipped a few pages seeing another entry later that year.

September 28th, 2004

Today’s my dad’s birthday! *laughs* Old man is 56 today. Speaking of birthdays mine is rapidly approaching. I can’t believe I’m going to be 21 already. It’s insane. It truly seems like yesterday that I was at summer camp, hanging out with Leslie, meeting Nick….

He’s been amazing lately, he’s made such a turn around this past month. I think it’s because the witch is out of the picture. He’s been calmer, sweeter ever since they broke up. He’s the Nick I know and love again. I know I thought I’d moved on but I can’t. I can’t stop thinking about my birthday coming up, even though I have a boyfriend, I’ll be 21 which means the stupid pact is about to run out.

That goddamned pact. I can’t stop thinking about it. True it’s always been a kind of joke between us but now that I’m about to turn 21 I’ve been seriously considering it. Nick and I talked about it the other day. He brought it up which shocked me. He knows I’m in a relationship and that for us to go through with it we both have to be single.

I’ve been thinking though and is it bad that I want it to happen? But at the same time I’m completely terrified. He has way more experience than I do. I’ve heard him with other women, walked in on it a million times and that’s what’s got me scared. He’s got so much experience and I have none, the farthest I’ve ever gone is making out with a guy.

I wouldn’t know the first thing to do, or where to start with him. If we do go through with this he’s probably going to think I’m this dumb naïve little girl and just toss me aside figuring he can get it better someplace else. I mean come on would you blame him? He has women, fans, and hell even fucking playmates throwing themselves at him all the fucking time, they can offer him things I don’t even know how to spell let alone do.

I was shocked when he said that if I am single on my birthday that he’d be ok with it. But I really shouldn’t be shocked, he’s a guy, obviously he wants to get laid. It has been a little while since he has and well I bet he’s thinking that it’d be a great way to at least get some ass or something stupid like that.

Since I’ve been thinking about it I can’t stop thinking about what it’d be like to have him kiss me, have his hands…everything all over me… God I need to stop thinking about this. Just the mere thought of it makes my temperature sky rocket. But at the same time I know it’s going to hurt like hell! It’s my first time that always hurts, and in a way it’s worse that he’s not small. I feel like such a pervert everytime I think about that, but I can’t help it, call it curiosity……

Nick closed the journal he didn’t need to read anything more. He got up going over to her closing her laptop making her look at him. He bent over claiming her mouth in his massaging her tongue with his own.

He broke away making her stand, chuckling a little when she had to grab onto him to steady herself still reeling from the kiss. He pulled her against him grabbing her ass lifting her up so that she wrapped her legs around his waist. He turned them around throwing them both on the bed.

Alyssa hands ran through his hair which had gotten considerably longer and fell in his eyes. He stopped kissing her looking down at her, her dark hair fanned out over the bed her normally dark emerald eyes, a very bright light shade of green a clear sign that she wanted him.

He smirked at her running his hands up and down her thighs ever so slowly making goosebumps rise up on her skin. “Is this what you wanted?” He asked.

She looked at him a little shocked that he’d spoken, “What do you mean?” She asked completely perplexed.

He swept his lips across her face, “I read what you wrote, about me, the pact, is this what you wanted when you wrote that you wanted me?” He replied bringing his hands up her body slowly.

Alyssa shuddered as he did so. “This is so much more than I imagined.” She managed to say as he ground his hips into hers and he nipped at her collarbone making her arch her back and moan softly.

He moved back a little looking dead straight into her eyes, “It’s the same for me.” He stated making her arch her eyebrow at him. “Anytime I was with any other woman, I always compared them to you. How they made me feel as compared to just being around you. I’m so sorry that it hurt you when I was with other women. If I had known that you wanted to be with me, like this, I would have dropped everything for you.”

Alyssa took a deep breath willing her tears to stay at bay but one escaped rolling down the side of her face. “I love you.” She replied as he wiped her tears away with his thumbs. “For so long I wanted you to see me as a woman and not a dumb little girl.”

“How were we both so naïve?” He asked.

She thought a moment and giggled he gave her a bewildered look, “Sorry just hard to think of you as naïve.”

Nick rolled his eyes at her, “Ok bad choice of words but you know what I mean right? Both of us were completely oblivious to how the other felt and we ended up causing each other a lot of unnecessary pain because of it.”

Alyssa sighed, “I know. It’s completely insane what we have, I never imagined that we’d be this way. I hoped for it, hell fantasized about it a million times over but I never thought it’d be this real, this serious.” He searched her eyes seeing something he had never seen before. “You’re the one, I can’t imagine my life without you.” He grinned at her leaning down kissing her fully.

Two weeks later…

The phone rang, Alyssa groaned in her sleep looking at the clock, 4:53 AM, she smiled a little picking up the phone, “Hello?”

“Happy birthday honey.” Mary said on the other end of the phone.

Alyssa yawned a little feeling Nick stir next to her, “Hi Momma, thank you.”

“I’d sing you the birthday song but I was always better at singing back up.” Mary stated smiling a little.

“Why are you so awake?” Alyssa asked.

Mary laughed a little, “Because you silly girl it’s 7:53 PM, it’s still the 7th honey.”

“So then why call now?” She asked.

Mary laughed again, “Because it’s your birthday where you are, which is Stuttgart, Germany correct?”

Alyssa rolled her eyes as Nick sat up kissing her shoulder, “Mom please don’t tell me you were on the message boards.”

“I wasn’t I was on this neat website dedicated to Nick and they have all the tour dates up and pictures of the two of you.”

“Really huh?” Alyssa replied sighing as Nick sucked on her pulse point.

“Yes, darling daughter and might I say you two are very affectionate in front of the fans.”

Alyssa’s eyes got wide, “What did you see mom?” She asked pushing Nick aside for a moment.

“A ton of ones where you’re kissing, holding hands. His hand in your back pocket.” Mary stated trying to sound protective.

Alyssa rolled her eyes, “What can I say, he loves me.”

Mary laughed, “I know sweetheart is he awake?”

“Yeah you want to talk to him?”

“Sure honey.” Mary stated as Alyssa handed Nick the phone.

“Morning Mary.” Nick stated smiling at Alyssa as she got up out of bed not caring that she was naked and walked into the bathroom.

“Please honey call me mom, after all you’re my future son-in-law.” She stated grinning into the phone.

Nick thought a moment a little shocked, “Did he tell you?”

“I knew before he took you that he was going to have you buy the ring. And I wanted you to know that you have my blessing to marry my daughter when the time is right. I know Jamie had already given you his.”

“Thanks…mom.” He stated testing out calling her ‘mom’.

Mary smiled, “Good, so you’re going to give her the letter tonight right?”

“Yeah.” Nick replied knowing exactly what letter she’d been referring to.

“All right honey go celebrate her birthday and your anniversary. Be wonderfully romantic.”

Nick smiled, “You know I will, you get some rest and tell Clark, Lori, Jenna and Jay that we said hi.” He said as they said their goodbyes and hung up. He got up going into the bathroom getting in the shower behind her wrapping his arms around her waist. “Happy birthday love.” He stated kissing her shoulder.

“What a difference a year makes.” Alyssa remarked giggling.

“What?”

Alyssa turned in his arms, “One year ago today you wouldn’t take a shower with me.”

“That was temporary insanity.” He retorted pulling her into a kiss as he pressed her up against the tiled wall of the shower. He lifted her up entering her as she wrapped her arms and legs around him. He kissed her harder as they moved feverishly against each other. She broke the kiss moaning loudly as she arched her back exposing her neck to him. He took full advantage of that as he kissed and sucked along her throat. Before they knew it they were crying out as their release overtook them. She giggled as they showered together. “What?” He asked stepping under the spray rinsing the soap and shampoo off of him.

“Happy anniversary.”

He grinned at her as he got out of the shower wrapping a towel around his waist as he went to go shave. Alyssa watched him as she finished up in the shower. She got out wrapping a large towel around her and running another one through her hair. Then she went into the bedroom pulling on her favorite bra and boy-short underwear walking back in the bathroom hitting him in the side with her hips as she took over the sink to brush her teeth.

That afternoon…

“Alyssa I can’t believe you, that has to be the dirtiest joke I’ve heard in a long time!” Kristin exclaimed trying to catch her breath from laughing so hard.

Alyssa caught her breath, “It’s from Good Will Hunting. I love that movie.” She explained.

“Hey why don’t you two come up and watch sound check from the stage with me? I don’t want to be the only one missing out on the jokes here!” Leighanne joked.

“Sure, come on Ali.” Kristin replied as they got up going behind the stage climbing up the stairs and watching the boys at sound check from just behind the curtain.

Kevin looked over seeing the girls there, then turned to Nick and said into his mic; “Hey Nick.”

“Yeah?” He replied knowing exactly what Kevin was plotting.

“Isn’t it someone’s birthday today?” Kevin asked.

Alyssa got the hint and looked between Leighanne and Kristin, “Oh my God you didn’t!?” She exclaimed as they pulled her out on stage. Alyssa relented as Leighanne ran back stage grabbing the cake lighting the candles and coming out as everyone started singing Happy Birthday to her making her face turn red.

When the song was over; “Make a wish!” Brian shouted.

Alyssa thought a moment then smirked pulling her hair back before leaning over blowing out all twenty-two candles on the first try. “Thanks guys.” She said smiling.

Nick wrapped an arm around her waist and pulled her to him and kissed her temple as she wrapped her arms around his waist. “What did you wish for?” He asked whispering in her ear.

She cocked her head to the side looking up at him, “Can’t tell you or it won’t come true.”

“Hmmm, who says it won’t?” He stated leaning down kissing her neck right on her weak spot that never failed to get to her.

She giggled, “You’re so evil you know that?” She replied breaking away from him as she went back over to the girls eating her piece of cake. She looked out seeing the fans being handed little plates as well.

“So how’s it feel to be 22?” Leighanne asked.

Alyssa smiled wiping some frosting away from her lip. “Good, weird, but good.”

“Why weird?” Kristin asked.

“Everyone’s older than me it’s weird I mean you two don’t even look like you’re in your mid 30s. And all the guys and Nick are older than me, the only ones younger than me are Baylee and Kaci.”

Leighanne looked at her, “Sweetie, it’s ok you aren’t immature and annoying the way Nick was when he was 22.”

Alyssa laughed a little before looking over at Nick smiling at him as she looked him up and down a grey tee-shirt ripped up jeans and a pair of beat up converse. His hair hung down in his eyes and his guitar strapped to his shoulder the red letters spelling Helga, what he’d named his guitar earlier on in the tour.

That night…

“Ali, this is from Leighanne, Lee, and myself.” Kristin said smiling as she handed Alyssa a box covered in bright wrapping paper. She tore through the paper lifting the lid off of the box and moving the tissue paper. A loud cackle resonated from her throat when she saw the contents of the box.

“What?” Nick asked looking at it laughing as his cheeks flushed crimson.

Alyssa giggled harder holding up the tee-shirt to show everyone. A basic black tee-shirt but with one hilarious difference. On the front in white bold letters read.

I f*cked a Backstreet Boy!!

Everyone laughed as Alyssa folded the shirt giving Leighanne and Kristin each a hug. “Shouldn’t it be present tense?” AJ asked in all seriousness.

Alyssa blushed a little and rolled her eyes, “I remember hearing about these back in 2001.”

“Yeah the fans gave one to Leighanne, Lee and myself each so we decided to officially initiate you.” Kristin replied.

“Yep you’re truly one of us now.” Leighanne added smiling warmly.

Alyssa smiled at them as Nick handed her a card, “This is from Clark and Lori.”

Alyssa opened the envelope taking out the card when something fell into her lap. She picked up the photo seeing the fuzzy ultrasound outline of a baby. Alyssa looked in the card reading the message out loud. “Sorry but your gift isn’t due to arrive for another 6 months, but that should be enough time for you and Nick to prepare to be an aunt and uncle! Love you have a great birthday love Clark and Lori.”

Nick took the ultrasound photo staring at it, “She’s pregnant?” He asked shocked.

“I’m guessing so!” Alyssa exclaimed. “Holy hell I’m gonna be an aunt!”

“Is that a bad thing?” Kevin asked.

Alyssa thought a moment, “Hell it’s amazing, that’s an awesome birthday present, I have another kid I get to spoil!!” She added as she was handed a small box. She looked at Nick bewildered.

“It’s from Kellie.” He stated.

Alyssa opened it seeing a set of keys, “Another set of keys?” She asked referring to the previous year’s presents, as she pulled out a piece of paper and read it aloud. “I know how much you loved the place in Sydney. Here are the keys to it, it’s all yours. Happy birthday and happy anniversary.”

“Did she just give us the house in Australia?” Nick asked completely amazed.

“Yeah I guess so, wow that place is worth a ton of money, she told me she was thinking of selling it.”

Nick handed Alyssa another envelope this one was green and had his unmistakable scrawl over it. She giggled and opened it gasping at what it held inside. She looked at him wide eyed not believing he’d bought it for her.

“What is it?” Kevin asked.

Alyssa gulped and looked at the contents again not quite believing her eyes. “Three front row tickets and backstage passes.”

“To what?” Kristin asked now completely intrigued.

“Nine Inch Nails…” Alyssa stated looking over at Nick, “How did you get these?”

He smiled at her, “I have my connections, besides Lori and Kellie are going to flip out when they find out they’re going.”

Alyssa leaned over and kissed him, something they rarely did in front of the guys. “Thank you. Seriously front row seats to my favorite band of all time! Major brownie points on this one.”

“And you’ll get to meet Trent.”

Alyssa stared at him blinking, “Dear god…”She replied under her breath.

AJ laughed a little, “You like Trent Reznor?”

Alyssa giggled a little, “I identify with him, he went through hell, kinda like you did. He was really heavy into the rock star decadence and he’s been gone getting better and now they just released a new album this year right around when you guys did. I’ve loved Nine Inch Nails since Pretty Hate Machine came out in 89.”

“And you’ll see Closer live.” Nick added.

Alyssa shuddered a little and looked at him, “Do you want me to spontaneously combust here?”

Kristin giggled, “What is it with you and that song?”

Alyssa looked over at her, “That song just…the way Trent sings it…damn.” She replied breathing a little heavier.

Late that night…

Nick watched Alyssa walk around the room packing things up so they wouldn’t have to rush in the morning. “Lissa, come here.” He stated patting the bed. Alyssa crawled up the bed and sat down Indian style. Nick handed her a DVD. “Play this.”

She stared at him for a second and then went over putting it in the DVD player turning on the television and sat back down on the bed. She gasped when she saw her father come on the screen.

Hi Alyssa. If you’re watching this, well that means it’s your birthday and I’m not alive to see it. I had Nick help me make this for each of you, your siblings and your mother.

I wanted you to know just how proud I am of you.

You, my youngest, Alyssa you’ve made me so proud getting your graduate degree, becoming a teacher, falling in love. Yeah bet you didn’t think I knew about that huh? You’ve never been good at hiding your emotions especially when it comes to Nick.

It’s hard for a father to accept it when his daughter has become a grown woman. And you just had to fall for the one guy I actually wanted you to fall for didn’t you? *chuckles* But I digress. I’m so happy for you, to see all three of my children so happy, healthy and so in love.

You made being a father so rewarding. I can only hope that you have children one day that make you as proud has you have made me. I look at you now, I see my little girl looking back at me through a stunningly beautiful young woman.

As for you and Nick…*sigh* I hope you two have all the love and joy I’ve been so lucky to have with Mary. Don’t let this one go Ali…he’s good for you. I’ve been watching the both of you interact for a few years now and you’re meant to be. You two just fit the way Mary and I do.

I know he’ll be there for you when I can’t. I think of Nick as another son, another kid to be so proud of. You both have come so far together, being friends and then falling in love. I remember when you first introduced him to us. You were so nervous about all of us liking and approving of him, even though you two were only friends at the time.

I saw the way he treated you, with such respect and I knew then that you found what most people look for their entire lives and never find you found your soul mate honey. I wanted to hate him when I saw the way you look at him with such admiration and love. But he’s too good to you, believe me he’s done things for you that…well one day you’ll see…when the time is right of course… right Nick?

Alyssa looked at Nick, “What did he mean by that?”

“Shh keep watching.” Nick interjected.

You and your siblings are my pride, my proudest achievement has been raising three of the most wonderful people that I know. You’ve got a heart of gold Ali and you need to know that I love you Alley Cat. Yeah I know you haven’t heard that name in years.

I wish you all the love, luck and happiness in the world.

Nick, take good care of her for me. Be good to each other and remember I love you both.

His image left the screen as music began to play. Alyssa recognized the opening piano chords immediately. She watched as pictures and video of her parents, Olivia, Clark, and herself danced across the screen in time to the song.

Blue jean baby, L.A. lady, seamstress for the band

Pretty eyed, pirate smile, you'll marry a music man

Ballerina, you must have seen her dancing in the sand

And now she's in me, always with me, tiny dancer in my hand

Alyssa laughed a little seeing the pictures of herself and her siblings growing up. She gasped a little when a picture of her and Nick showed up just in time for the line ‘you’ll marry a music man’. She thought for a moment wondering what it would be like if they did get married.

Jesus freaks out in the street

Handing tickets out for God

Turning back she just laughs

The boulevard is not that bad

Piano man he makes his stand

In the auditorium

Looking on she sings the songs

The words she knows the tune she hums

Alyssa watched intently seeing footage of sporting events her and her siblings were involved in, ballet recitals, birthday parties, playing the piano, just every day occurrences in life that had been immortalized on film.

But oh how it feels so real

Lying here with no one near

Only you and you can hear me

When I say softly slowly

Hold me closer tiny dancer

Count the headlights on the highway

Lay me down in sheets of linen

you had a busy day today

Nick and Alyssa both laughed seeing video of Alyssa driving her old car singing along to the music. The video had been from when she moved to LA to go to college. She looked so happy and carefree as she glanced between the highway and the camera.

Blue jean baby, L.A. lady, seamstress for the band

Pretty eyed, pirate smile, you'll marry a music man

Ballerina, you must have seen her dancing in the sand

And now she's in me, always with me, tiny dancer in my hand

When the video ended Alyssa turned to Nick. “I love you.” She stated as she took out the DVD putting it away in her laptop bag.

He grinned back at her, “I love you too. Jamie had me make it for each one of you, he wouldn’t let me be in the same room while he said it but had me edit everything.”

Alyssa grinned, “What did he mean by the ‘right time’?”

Nick thought a moment as he pulled her onto his lap. “Before he died, he asked me some questions about us, our future. He wanted to make sure that you would be taken care of when he’d be gone.”

“What questions?”

“He asked if I intended on asking you to marry me.” He replied.

Alyssa’s eyes got wide, “What did you say?”

Nick smiled at her, “I said hell yeah. When the time is right of course. I know I want…need to spend the rest of my life with you. It doesn’t matter when or where but I want to eventually…”

“Get married…”Alyssa added finishing his sentence.

He looked at her noticing the shocked expression on her face. “You seem shocked by that.”

“I am…I thought you don’t believe in marriage…I mean I know I love you and that I want to be with you no matter what.”

“I didn’t believe in marriage for the longest time, but you’ve made me start to think differently about it. I mean can’t you picture it, you and me, married, kids…”

“Kids? You seriously want to be a father.”

“As long as you’re the mother yes, yes I do.”

Late that next night….

“So how was your anniversary?” AJ asked wiggling his eyebrows.

Nick rolled his eyes grinning like an idiot.

“Are you actually going to say something now?” Kevin asked jokingly.

“If you wanna know you gotta ask.” Nick countered after taking a gulp of his beer.

AJ looked at him grinning, “How good is she, in all seriousness?” He asked really wanting to know why one of his best friends was so damn giddy all the time.

“Un-fucking-believable.” He stated garnering a shocked expression from the other four guys in the room.

“What do you mean by that?” Howie asked wondering what the hell had gotten into him.

Nick thought a moment, “Well, you’d think she’d be all naïve and clueless since I’m the only guy she’s been with…but you’d be so fucking wrong. I mean I know she has Lori, Kellie and Jenna to talk to about it but I was completely shocked by how much she already knew.”

“And this is a bad thing?” Brian asked laughing a little.

“Hell no it isn’t. Just never expected it. Imagined it….fantasized about it fuck yeah but never expected her to be…”

“A freak?” AJ offered.

“Yeah, it’s crazy how much alike we are in that sense.” He answered taking a long sip of his beer, his fifth that night.

“Ok craziest place you’ve ever done it.”

Nick thought a moment, “Passenger seat of her dad’s truck.”

Kevin laughed, “The only time either one of you ever drove that was after the funeral.”

Nick rolled his eyes sighing a little, “Yeah and the only problem with it was that there was absolutely no emotion behind it at all. She was grieving and needed a distraction. I understood how she felt but damn I felt so used. But thankfully we talked about it and everything’s back to normal.”

“Ok what the hell does she say when you two are like that. Because it sounds like Nick but not.” AJ asked.

Nick sat there obviously thinking of what AJ asked, “Nickolas is what she says. All she has to do is say that and I’m gone, my entire brain shuts down.”

“So why did you keep it a secret for so long?” Brian asked.

Nick sighed, “She was afraid, of her feelings, all of you, the fans. She needed the secrecy to make sure she was ready for it all. Pissed me off having to lie to you guys all the time when all I wanted to do was just scream that I love her.”

Kevin grinned at him, “Well at least you two are open about it now. Speaking of, how come she’s all respectful in front of us?” He asked.

“She loves public displays but I think she’s still a little leery about what you all will say. Like for the longest time she’d be super quiet in the hotel after we came out with our relationship, just because she was I guess embarrassed or something.”

“So she’s not like that at home?”

“She’s not quiet that’s for damn sure, Lori always makes fun of her whenever we’re home saying that the entire neighborhood knows when we’re not traveling.” Nick replied laughing. “What about you and Kaci huh?” He stated turning the tables.

AJ smiled a little, “Kaci and I are dating, end of story.”

Nick rolled his eyes, “Yeah but I bet you don’t want it to be just dating.”

AJ laughed a little, “Of course not but I respect her so I’m being a good boy and waiting.”

Nick laughed, “Sounds like Ali and I before her 21st birthday, I only dated other women because I thought I couldn’t have her the way I wanted to.”

“Come to find out you could have.” Kevin countered.

“Yep, still kicking myself for that one. I mean hanging out as just friends was great and everything but God damn if I knew back then what she and I have now…shit…” He answered trailing off as Brian excused himself to go to bed, Howie leaving a minute later.

“What about oral?” AJ asked grinning at Nick.

“What about it?”

“Do you?”

Nick snickered, “No shit Sherlock! Of course I do and she loves it.”

“And does she reciprocate?” AJ asked knowing that alcohol worked like truth serum on Nick.

“Two words…tongue…piercing….” He stated grabbing another beer from the bar popping it open taking a large gulp before sitting back down.

Kevin laughed a little taking a drink of his beer. “You like it.”

Nick shook his head, “I love it. First time she tried out her tongue ring on me was in a Victoria’s Secret dressing room, told me not to make a sound….damn near gave me heart failure.”

“Kristin did that to me once when we were dating, got her back for it…”

“Ever use a camcorder?”

Nick shook his head ‘yes’. “Her idea, haven’t actually been able to sit through it with her though. I can’t watch that and not get completely wound up and end up attacking her.”

“So what did you two do for your anniversary?”

“Well we’re kind of waiting to officially celebrate until the tour is over but last night was just amazing. Barely slept…just spent the whole night just being together, didn’t even have to have sex, we did but we didn’t have to, it was just relaxing like the way we are at home.”

“I’m happy for you, you deserve this.” Kevin added patting him on the shoulder.

“Thanks man, I mean that, you have no idea how much having you guys behind us means to her and I.”

“So what took you so long to finally talk about your bedroom activities?” AJ asked.

Nick chuckled a little, “Didn’t feel the need to, Ali asked me about it the other night, told me it was ok if I talked considering she tells Lori, Kel, Jenna and her sister.”

“You think she’s ya know…‘the one’?” Kevin asked.

Nick grinned a little, “I know she is, she’s always been there for me, and vice versa. And now to add what we have as a couple it’s just too perfect. I mean yeah we disagree on things, we argue, we fight but that’s rare.”

“So, what’s with the scratches?” AJ suggested wanting to know.

“We both like being a little rough with each other, like she has a biting fetish, and I fucking love it when she scratches me. One second it’ll be light as a feather and the next she’ll practically draw blood and it just feels insanely good.”

“What about biting?”

“Like I said she has this biting fetish, had no clue she had it until I bit the back of her neck once when we were in front of a mirror, biting any kind just drives her crazy. She’s really ticklish on her neck and back and various other places but her reaction when she’s bitten on her neck or shoulders is just amazing.”

“Mirror? Nice touch Nicky.”

Nick laughed, “That’s my thing, I mean come on getting to watch yourself touch your woman and see her reaction to it…you can’t tell me that alone won’t get you going.”

AJ laughed at him, “Ok I’ll have to agree with that one, mirrors are fucking awesome.”

Kevin joined in, “Why do you think there are so many at my house?”

Nick smirked, “I just knew you were a closet freak.”

Kevin laughed harder, “I’m happily married, gotta keep the excitement going somehow.”

“I completely understand that, Ali and I talk about it all the time what we’d like to try. Hell I’ve told her things I was too afraid to ask any other girl.”

“Like?”

“Like…a strip show, blindfolds, fuck just about anything really.”

“Strip show?”

Nick smiled, “That was my birthday present, she’s a fucking hot dancer.”

Kevin chuckled, “Totally know what you mean.”

Nick looked at him giving him a shocked look. “Kris?”

“She was a professional dancer you know.”

Nick grinned a little, “Yeah I know just never thought little ole Kristin would…”

“Would what? We’re a lot like you and Alyssa at least we’ve been together long enough to know to savor it.”

“We do too, just happen to enjoy it…a lot…”

AJ took a drink of his soda laughing at the two of them, “So what’s a fantasy of hers that you want to do for her but haven’t had the chance.”

Nick thought a minute as a smile swept across his face, “On stage.”

The two of them looked at him in shock, “On stage? Shouldn’t that be one of yours?”

Nick laughed, “She hasn’t told me, I learned from Lori about this one, that ever since the Millennium tour she’s had a fantasy about doing it on stage.”

“Since the Millennium tour she was like a teenager back then?” Kevin asked.

“Yeah, I know, according to Lori it’s because of the ladders we used during Don’t Want You Back.”

Kevin smirked, “Yeah…that’ll do it.” He recalled laughing a little.

“What’s one of yours that you haven’t told her about?”

Nick thought a moment, “That’s hard to come up with since I’ve told her a lot of mine. But for once to let me have control.”

“What do you mean?” Kevin asked.

“Well she’s a control freak, she has a really hard time submitting to anything and for once I want to tell her what to do.”

AJ chuckled, “It’s because she’s a Libra.”

“Hey no raggin’ on Libras!” Kevin shot back.

Nick smirked, “It’s kind of true though, most of the time it’s initiated by her, saying something, wearing something because she knows I can’t resist her. But I’d love to turn the tables on her, just as much as I’m sure she’d fall over if I even mention handcuffs.”

“She’s that much of a control freak?”

“She loves having control loves being the one with all the power. I’m pretty damn sure she’d make an amazing dominatrix, just really haven’t had the time or the privacy to go into all of that.”

AJ laughed making Nick shoot him a confused look, “Sorry, just have a hard time picturing Alyssa decked out in vinyl and a whip.”

Nick laughed, “Ok the vinyl might be a bit much besides she prefers leather.” He stated making the two of them look at him in shock. “But give me her in a black bra, matching underwear, thigh highs and stilettos and I’ll pretty much do anything she tells me to.”

Meanwhile…

“So how was your anniversary?” Kellie asked smirking.

Alyssa smiled into the phone, “Relaxing, we’re not officially celebrating until the tour is over but we were tangled up in each other all night it was just perfect.”

Kellie laughed a little, “It’s crazy you and Nick so wrapped up in each other.”

“I know, I love him though I can’t imagine my life without him.”

“He can’t imagine his without you either, he’s been talking with Lori and I about a certain question…” Kellie added.

Alyssa’s jaw dropped, “Question?”

“Yeah, he wants to ask you but he’s afraid it’s not the right time.”

Alyssa was still confused about exactly what the question was, “Ok explain, what question?”

Kellie chuckled, “If you’d marry him. He wants to ask you he’s been trying to get Lori and I to see if you’re ready for that question yet.”

Alyssa thought a moment, “He seriously wants to marry me? I mean yeah we talk about the future all the time but he’s dead serious about it?”

“Yep, he’s just hesitant because he doesn’t know if it’s the right time or not.”

Alyssa sighed, “Well tell him this next time he asks. Tell him that I love him, but that as far as marriage goes that I don’t think we’re ready yet. But that when the time is right he’ll know I’m ready to be asked. Especially if he sees lots of bridal magazines.” Alyssa explained laughing a little.

“I will. Anyways what did you want to ask me?”

Alyssa took a deep breath, “Well I want to do something for Nick.”

“Yeah and what does that have to do with me?”

“Well it’s a fantasy of his and it involves you and me.”

Kellie thought a moment her mouth agape at Alyssa’s admission. “Like a threesome?”

“Pretty much, since he saw the video and the picture of our drunken kiss he told me about his fantasy poor guy was so embarrassed when he got it all out.”

“Like what would happen?” Kellie asked a little intrigued and a little shocked.

“He…uh would watch…you and me… and then…”

“Then what?”

“Well it’s actually not that weird just he’s a guy and the idea of two straight girls getting it on fascinates him.”

Kellie had to laugh, “Why me?”

“No clue, I think it’s because you and I are kind of opposite, I’m brunette, you’re blonde, I’m tall, you’re shorter. You know?”

“So he wants to watch his girlfriend get it on with her best friend and then what join us?”

Alyssa laughed a little, “Yep, he’s had threesomes in the past and he told me that they sucked because either the girls were too damn giggly and nothing would happen or they would only want to touch him.”

“Typical male…” Kellie stated snorting.

“I know but I trust you and I wouldn’t have mentioned it if I didn’t know this would be a one time thing.”

Kellie chewed on her lip a moment, “I’ve always wondered what being with a chick would be like.”

Alyssa did a double take, “You’re actually ok with this?”

“Well yeah we both know we’re straight and it’d be just for one night, question is when are we doing this for him?”

Alyssa thought a moment, “I want it to be a total surprise, like when he’s least expecting it. He’s going to flip out that’s for sure, this is like one fantasy he’s never told anyone but me.”

Kellie laughed, “Well he’s one of my best friends, and I trust the both of you implicitly, so why the hell not?”

“My thoughts exactly.”