- Text Size +
"Nick, you would think that on your long break away from the hospital that you'd want to go back to the house and grab a long shower, some fresh clothes, and a long nap in a comfy bed… So, why the Hell are you bringing me out to a jewelry store?" Brian inquired with a slight air of irritation to his voice, especially when Nick yanked harder on his upper arm. He had fully expected to take a quick ride home with Nick as Alana, Aaron, and Baylee napped in her hospital bed. AJ had promised to watch out for the trio as Natalie and Howie went to fetch dinner for everyone. But, instead, Brian was walking through the streets of the local town, watching Nick hold his son close in a carrier that strapped to the front of his chest. "What necklace, watch, ring, or bracelet could you possibly need for a hospital setting? I thought you weren't into scoping out other women anymore?"

"I'm not scoping out other women… I'm looking to buy Beautiful a ring," Nick explained with a sigh, as though he had told Brian all this before. Glancing to the jewelry store tucked between a bank and an antique store, he smiled suddenly, jerking his friend towards the door. "And not just any ring--"

"A ring to match that anklet you bought her that's pretty much sitting pretty for over half a year?" Brian guessed with a snort.

"No… An engagement ring," Nick explained casually as he stepped into the jewelry store.

"An engagement what?" Brian blurted in surprise as he attempted to walk through the opposite glass door, though his face collided hard into the door that he forgot to open. Pulling backward with a fresh sting of pain, his cheeks darkened a bright red as he noted the imprint of his face permanently marking the door till it was cleaned next. Hearing the distant sound of shoppers' chuckles, he yanked the door open to steal inside. "Shit! That hurt!"

"Why should me buying an engagement ring for Alana hurt you?" Nick questioned in confusion, glancing up from the display of rings he was gazing at. Seeing Brian rubbing his face, he furrowed his brows. "Look, B, that kiss back in Sweden was just 'cause I was drunk, it never meant that I--"

"Jesus Christ, Nick, we're in public!" Brian hissed in revulsion.

Nick clicked his tongue as he headed towards the back of the shop. "Such language, Brian. Have you forgotten that you've recorded a Christian album?"

"I just don't understand you and…" Brian groaned as he found himself looking to Nick's backside yet again as he walked away. "Would you stand still for a minute?"

"Sorry…" Nick trailed, turning to face Brian again. Leaning against the nearby case, he glanced down at the array of jewelry. For little girls, he realized, seeing tiny pearl necklaces. Wondering if he should get Elizabeth something, he scanned the selection. "What's on your mind, B?"

"You're going to marry Alana?" Brian questioned bluntly, just staring at his younger friend in bewilderment. Never in all his years had he thought that Nick would ever be ready for marriage. He seemed to be like AJ in that respect. Wild and confrontational to any means of authority. Settling down for marriage didn't seem to be in Nick's stars. Yet, Brian supposed it was possible as he glanced to the adopted infant snoozing against his father's chest.

"If she says yes," Nick confirmed with a slight nod, straightening to meet his friend's gaze. Seeing the utter confusion no the older man's face, he sighed, reaching to smooth Zachary's hair gently. Suddenly feeling the need to explain, he wet his lips. "I love her, Brian. She's the one I'm meant to be with, you know? The one I want to grow old with and raise a family with and… Everything… She makes the world seem right when she's with me…"

"You're serious about this?" Brian questioned softly, his facial features softening significantly from the frown he had been wearing. The sincerity radiating from his friend's deep cobalt eyes seemed to sober the skepticism significantly. For the first time, Brian realized he was looking at a man instead of the scrawny teenager he had first befriended. His life had been filled with turmoil and heartache. Now, finally, Nick found some stability in his life. Something that made his life worth living. Well, someone that made his life worth living.

"Dead serious, Brian," Nick answered, resting a protective hand against the carrier holding Zachary as a woman brushed past towards the exit. "She's the one. The only one."

"The love of your life," Brian murmured with a small smile.

Nick nodded, smiling slightly with relief. Hearing the unobtrusive cough from beside him, he glanced over to see an older man waiting to serve behind the counter. Lightly patting Zachary's back, he looked back at Brian before speaking. "What have you got that'll tell a woman she's the love of your life?"

"His nickname for her is Beautiful, too, so, whatever you show us has to be gorgeous in order to even barely compliment her," Brian continued, patting Nick's back with encouragement.

"And it has to be either white gold or platinum," Nick added with a grin, grateful he finally had Brian's understanding and support. At the jeweler's confused expression, he chuckled. "She doesn't care much for yellow gold…"

"Do you have a photograph of your lady?" a whisper of voice inquired from the small sprig of a man behind the counter, peering out at the men through a thick pair of glasses that seemed to magnify his light blue eyes. A fine layer of white hair was combed neatly over his scalp as a wrinkly hand reached out to Zachary to touch the infant's hand as he awoke.

"Yes I do!" Nick blurted, remembering he had tucked one into his wallet at the Bahamas. Reaching to pull it out, he gazed down at it for a few seconds, smiling slightly to himself as Zachary cooed softly at the man behind the counter. It was a casual shot of Alana, sitting on the balcony with the sunset behind her. She was looking towards the ocean, her hair whipping about the perfection of her face as she laughed at something he had been saying. He had snapped the photo without truly thinking, never imagining that it would capture her beauty with such perfection. Hearing Brian clear his throat, he blushed slightly before handing it over.

"Fantastic, I always like to have a picture of the love when I'm helping a fella pick out a suitable ring," the man explained with a kind smile as he took the photograph into his hands, holding it close to study Alana. "She is quite the beauty! You certainly aren't wrong in naming her 'Beautiful,' that's for sure. You're a very lucky man!"

"That I am," Nick agreed with a grin. "Think you can help me out? I don't want anything too flashy or extravagant, 'cause--"

"She doesn't like to be spoiled?" the seller guessed.

"Exactly."

"Let me see what sort of selection I can find for you," he whistled, ducking underneath the counter as he surveyed his layers of engagement rings. "Is that her young'n?"

"He's her baby boy," Nick answered with a soft smile, dipping his head to kiss Zachary's cheek.

"Ma," Zachary cooed, seeming to know exactly who his father was speaking of as he curled his tiny fingers Nick's t-shirt.

"You love your Ma, don't you, Son?" Nick murmured, tracing the back of his son's fist with his thumb.

"Ma!" Zachary agreed with a grunt of satisfaction. "Ma…"

"How old is he?" the old man laughed as he popped up with several different ring selections.

"Two months tomorrow," Nick informed with a proud smile, wrapping his arms around Zachary in a gentle embrace.

"And he's already saying 'Ma?' That's amazing!"

"He can't possibly know what he's saying…" Brian murmured, shaking his head in disbelief.

"He's been saying it for weeks now," Nick explained with a chuckle.

"When she's around?" Brian questioned.

"You should hear him when they're snuggling and she's talking to him… It's all he can do… Ma, Ma, Ma…"

"Scooper didn't start talking till he was…"

"Snot Sucker's gifted," Nick bragged with a beam of paternal pride as he looked towards the jeweler once more.

"I have a very beautiful selection of rings for you to sort through. I never pick out a ring for a fella, because that's his choice. This is the first gift you're giving your beautiful lady for the rest of your lives together. It needs to represent your love for her. But, I would hope that you'd allow me to take your son for a moment so he can help me pick out a very special gift for his very special mother. You said he's two months old… So he was born in February?"

"Yes, sir," Nick answered softly, letting Brian unbuckle the carrier. "The day after Valentine's…"

"Very appropriate," the man chuckled as he gently cradled Zachary in his arms when Nick handed him over. Cooing at the infant, the man grinned. "And when was your mother born, young'n?"

"May twenty-first," Nick provided, leaning over to gaze at the selection.

"We'll leave you to look at the rings while we go make a very special gift for your son's mother," the man explained as he moved toward the front of the store with Zachary babbling to him.

"What do you think of this one?" Nick asked Brian softly, plucking a white gold ring from the velvet tray. Turning it slightly in the light, he shook his head before even letting Brian see. Replacing it, he sighed, "It doesn't shine enough."

"You don't have to pick the first one you find in the batch," Brian murmured softly as he leaned against the glass, hoping he'd be able to give Nick all the support he truly needed. This was an extremely important moment in Nick's life and Brian thanked God that he had been the one Nick called out for. In fact, he found it curious to watch Nick select a ring that would represent his token of love to Alana. When Brian had picked out his ring for Leighanne, she had been breathing over his shoulder, demanding the best, brightest, and heaviest. Thank God he had finally gotten the divorce proceedings started. "You've got all the time in the world to find a perfect ring."

"I want to be married by Christmas," Nick blurted.

Brian's cerulean eyes widened in surprise as he staggered backward from the excitement laced in Nick's voice. "What? Why? Christmas?"

"I want us to be a real family on Christmas morning when we help Snot Sucker open his presents," Nick explained as he pored over the ring selection once more, hoping Brian would not notice that he was stretching the truth.

"You guys are a real family," Brian argued with confusion, leaning against the glass of the display case. "Her having a ring on her finger or not doesn't change the love you guys have for one another or for Zachary."

"I just want to do things right, Brian…" Nick trailed, near to giving up on the rings before him. "This is it," he breathed, plucking one into his hand. "Look--"

"Ain't like you got her pregnant," Brian chuckled as he took the ring from Nick to examine it. The white gold was polished flawlessly as it curved upward, each end wrapping around a large, flawless, round diamond to create a sleek angular look to the ring instead of a traditional circle. Then, leading down from the large diamond were five smaller, flawless round accent diamonds to each side. Eleven perfect diamonds. "…I thought you didn't want anything flashy… Or anything that's going to significantly burn your bank account…"

"That's not going to burn my bank account," Nick argued, taking the ring to glance at the price tag. "And it's not flashy, either… It's perfect, see? Ten little diamonds… This is the one--"

"And one big ass diamond in the center," Brian reminded.

"But it's the little things that count, Frick…"

"And how much is it?"

"Four thousand--"

"She's going to murder you."

"Do you honestly think I'm going to get down on one knee, pour my heart out and then announce how much the ring cost?" Nick scoffed with a shake of his head, glancing around for the jeweler.

"No, but I'm thinking about that first fight as an engaged couple where you scream out - Yeah, of course I'm not good enough for you when I just paid four thousand dollars for that hunk of diamond on your finger!"

"You talk like you've had that fight," Nick chuckled, hearing Zachary's excited coos from across the store.

"And it was ugly," Brian assured as he glanced over his shoulder to see the old jeweler returned to them with Zachary curled tightly in his arms, the infant nibbling on a slender black box.

"Have you found something for your lady?" the old man asked. "Because your son certainly has."

"You gnaw it, you bought it, Snot Sucker," Nick informed Zachary with a laugh. Holding out the ring he selected, he dug into his pocket to retrieve the ring he had sneaked from Alana's jewelry box when he had gone to her house to gather a few things for her. "If you can size it to this, I'll love you forever."

"No problem whatsoever," the man agreed as he shifted Zachary back into Nick's arms so he could take the rings. Admiring the one that Nick had selected, he smiled brightly. "This is a beautiful choice, Sir. And, what your son picked out for his mother, no cost whatsoever. As long as you both like it."

"Score," Nick murmured softly in his son's ear as he placed him in the carrier once again. Taking the box, he lifted the lid, his face breaking into a grin when he saw the necklace inside. Holding it so Brian could see as well, he lightly traced the silver heart pendant that was descending from a small heart shaped clasp. Alana's birthstone, emerald, hung in the center of the heart, with Zachary's dangling from the bottom. "You picked out a good present for Mommy, Son…"

"She's going to love that," Brian agreed as he reached to ruffle Zachary's dark locks, realizing that he'd have to take Baylee out shopping for Natalie soon. Mother's day would be dedicated to her. And, glancing toward the other engagement rings, Brian smiled, perhaps she'd get a ring of her own.

"You can also add more birthstones to the bottom of the heart as your family grows," the man concluded as he scratched Nick's information on an index card to place with the ring.

Nick bit back the urge to tell the man he would be returning in a few months to buy two more. Grinning instead, he placed the box on the counter as Zachary began to nibble on Brian's fingers. "How much to gift wrap it?"

"For that adorable little boy? Nothing," the man promised as he took the box. "Your engagement ring will be ready in about two days at the most. You can pay for it then if you like?"

"Thanks a lot," Nick agreed with a nod, taking another glance around the store. "I'll probably be picking up a few other things then, too…"

"I thought she didn't like to be spoiled," the man chuckled, bagging the perfectly wrapped box into a small gift bag.

"She doesn't, but I love spoiling her…" Nick turned to Brian. "And I was thinking of getting Lizzie something too… And Mother's Day is coming…"

"That's exactly what I was thinking," Brian agreed, glancing back to the older man for a moment. "Hey, Nick, there's that pizza place right across the road. Why don't you go get us a table? We'll bring Alana back whatever leftovers we have?"

"But… I let you stay when I was buying my stuff…" Nick trailed, affecting a pout that he had perfected over the years. "What are you getting?"

"None of your business because you'll tell Natalie and if you don't go get a table, I'll be telling Natalie what you bought Alana, which will surely get back to her."

"Damnit, you never play fair," Nick whined, accepting his bag from the jeweler. "Fine, I'll go get us a table and order you tons of garlic bread so the Gnat won't want to kiss you… Thanks again!"

"Brothers?" the man guessed with a laugh as Nick sauntered out of the store with his gift.

"Something like that…" Brian sighed, though he smiled just the same.

*~*~*

"Why is there a limo pulling up out front?" Nick questioned loudly as he gazed out the window of Alana's hospital room. Leaning closer to the glass, he ignored the roses crushing against his chest, wondering who would be crazy enough to get a limo to the hospital.

"Because how else could we possibly draw the attention of the local media without it? My discharge from the hospital needs to be world wide, especially since AJ and Howie are angling to plaster my face across the singing world anyway," Alana grunted softly as she pulled on her sports bra after discarding her hospital gown. Adjusting herself as needed, she tried not to make a face of pain as she applied deodorant and then grabbed for her racer-back tank top from the pile of clothing Natalie had gathered for her. Glancing toward the awaiting wheelchair at the side of her bed, she wondered how she would possibly be able to get into it with one leg fully immobilized and the other in a thick plaster cast. It seemed ridiculous. But after a week of supervision at the hospital, Dr. Allman had finally given Alana permission to go home. Of course, providing that she had others to care for her and she wasn't living alone. She had promised as much, though she didn't have any cause to follow through. She just wanted to leave.

"Please, AJ wouldn’t be so stupid as to…" Nick trailed into a groan of irritation when AJ hopped from the rear of the limo. Banging his head against the glass of the window, he wondered where he had gone wrong in everything. It seemed that, more than ever since meeting Alana, AJ constantly had to show him up. Do things bigger and better. "That fucknut--"

"Alex actually got a limo?" Alana interrupted with a soft laugh as she reached for one of the pairs of boxers AJ had bought. No jeans would be able to fit over the immobilizer. In fact, the baggiest of shorts were necessary to slide over the injuries. Though, as she stared at them and then her useless legs, she feared she wouldn't be getting them on herself. "He told me he was just going to tie me to the roof of the Jeep first…"

"I would have gotten you a limo," Nick informed with a scowl in the limousine's direction. That is, if he had realized before that moment that she would be unable to ride home in the Jeep. "But… You are staying with me and Snot Sucker at Brian's, right?"

"I didn't ask him or you to get me a limo," Alana murmured, completely avoiding his question as she studied the boxers, wondering if she could slingshot them around her feet.

"…Oh…" Sighing, Nick turned to look at her. Seeing the boxers in her hand, he reached for them, fully intent on helping her get them on. "Lay back--"

"I can do it myself," Alana argued in what she hoped was an authoritative tone, though she knew there was no way she could get the boxers on by herself. "If you put them around my ankles and help me stand, then I can pull them up and get into my wheelchair--"

"You are not putting any weight on your legs and I can get them on you," Nick interrupted.

"And I can get them on me, too--"

"Then do it."

"Fine," Alana grunted as she yanked the boxers away from his grip. Who did he think he was? Holding her breath, she bent completely over by the waist, usually able to touch her toes, but the pain ripped down every muscle fiber and the immobilizer prevented her from reaching her feet. Bruises and cuts had littered her body and finally the pain became unbearable. Gasping with a sharp breath of pain, she bunched the boxers into a fist and threw them at Nick.

"Will you let me help you now?" he questioned softly. "Without insisting that you can do it yourself?"

"Okay," she murmured, leaning back on the bed as he had first requested, holding her trembling hands to her face to stop the tears from falling.

"I'm so sorry, Beautiful," he whispered, tossing the boxers aside so he could sit next to her. Pulling her hands from her face, he dipped his head to softly kiss her cheek. Not expecting her to sharply slap him. "Ow! What--"

"Just put my boxers on like you were going to do in the first place," Alana suggested, rubbing her face where he had kissed. It was one thing to help her, but something completely different to treat her as if she were some invalid child.

"Why did you hit me, though?" Nick insisted, backing away as he reached for the boxers. "I didn't expect you to actually try to--"

"Because you deserved it."

"I'm sorry. I--"

"Well hello!" AJ exclaimed from the doorway. Grinning wickedly, he took in the scene as Alana tugged a blanket over her lower half. "You know I had a fantasy like this… Only Nick wasn't here--"

"Bet you were the patient," Alana mumbled as she struggled to sit up once more, convinced that she'd be going back to her home with a blanket wrapped around her bottom.

"Want me to step out so you can dress?" AJ inquired, glancing to the boxers in Nick's hands. "Or do you want me to help--"

"It really doesn't matter at this point as long as I can please get my boxers on without people trying to prove I'm a cripple," Alana suggested as she glanced down to her legs, continuing to rub her cheek.

"I wasn't trying to prove--"

"Why are you crying? Did he hit you?!" AJ nearly shrieked, turning to glare at Nick. "Why'd you hit her?! What'd she ever do to you?! You son-of-a--"

"Holy Hell, Alex, I hit him," Alana interrupted with a breath of surprise, which turned to a frustrated groan as she tugged at her knotted and tangled locks. What she wouldn't give for a nice, long, hot bath. "God, where's Allie? I know you said she was loading the car, but she can help me."

"I saw her in the hallway when I was coming in," AJ answered, ignoring Nick's glare of hatred towards him. "I think she stopped at the desk to make sure all the paperwork was in order and all…"

"Do you want to go check on her and make sure everything is fine? Please?" Alana inquired softly, gesturing toward the boxers in Nick's hands. AJ nodded and moved out to the hallway again, making sure to close the door behind him. When they were alone, Alana reached to brush her fingers against Nick's inner wrist, feeling awful that she had struck him. "Nick--"

"I'm sorry," Nick murmured, fiddling with the waistband of the boxers he was holding. Realizing that AJ had brought them for Alana, he inwardly gagged, dropping them onto the bed. Looking into her dark teal eyes, he sighed. "I wasn't trying to prove that you were crippled or anything. I didn't think you would actually… I just… I don't want you doing too much and hurting yourself even more."

"I shouldn't have hit you," Alana whispered, biting down on her bottom lip as she gently brushed her fingers across the tattoo that covered Paris Hilton's name. Briefly, she recalled the turmoil of Paris's family accusing Nick of physical abuse. Not once had Nick ever attempted to strike out at her. Yet she had. "God, I'm so sorry, Nick."

"You were frustrated, Alana. It was my fault, it's okay," Nick promised, glancing down to where her fingers brushed. "I'm not scared that you're going to hit me over the head with your crutches or anything," he added with a grin. "Besides… I can outrun you…"

"I'll let that slide," Alana mumbled, unable to help but wonder if Paris had inflicted the physical pain upon Nick or his mother, which she truly feared.

"You know you love me," Nick crooned, leaning close to offer her a soft kiss. "I'm the eraser on your pencil… The cream in your coffee… The--"

"Spoon in my throat that gags me," Natalie finished from the doorway.

"Good thing you make her gag that way I don't have to worry about you hunting for sex elsewhere while I'm closed for renovations," Alana murmured against Nick's lips, cupping her hands around his face to intensify the kiss to show her truest apologies. It had been a week since they had any type of intimacy. The hardened kiss was as close as she had got.

"I was sent in here because Nick's a prick and 'Lana needs help getting dressed, yet they're in here kissing and--" Natalie cut off at the sound of Nick's soft moan, shooting a glare at AJ over her shoulder. "Is this a joke?"

"She bitch slapped him, I swear!" AJ blurted, throwing an accusatory finger toward Nick. "But he must have pinched her clit--"

"Right, right," Natalie muttered, rolling her eyes. "All I see is a couple enjoying a sweet, quiet moment together, and yet you seem so intent on ruining it--"

"Yeah, you fucking bastard," Nick growled toward AJ as he broke away from Alana's kisses for a moment, reaching for the boxers on the side of the bed. Bunching them in his fist, he pitched them toward AJ's head. "Take those ratty, skid marked, beastly pieces of holy shit with you! My Beautiful isn't going home wearing your nasty drawers! You see what he does, Nat? Tries to break me up from Beautiful--"

"You're horrible," Natalie concluded with a dark scowl, reaching to smack the backside of AJ's head. "You should be ashamed of yourself! You think things like this are going to make her want to sign to your label?" she scoffed, turning back to look at Alana and Nick. "You need me to do anything?"

"Put him to work loading up Alana's stuff in the car while I help her get ready?" Nick questioned hopefully, puckering his bottom lip ever so slightly.

Natalie glanced at AJ. "You heard the man. And don't even try to argue, 'cause you know you're using Bumpkin's studio, and you're staying in his house, which can be changed if you decide to be a jackass--"

"Alright, I get the fucking picture," AJ growled, shoving his boxers into her purse when she turned to leave the room.

"You do realize that, one, I have nothing to wear home to cover my bottom and, two, Alex is so going to get you back one of these days, right?" Alana inquired as she nuzzled Nick's neck with her nose when the door to her hospital room slammed. She had to admit Nick was quite brilliant in playing Natalie against AJ. He had learned quite well over the years.

"I've got some boxers in my bag," Nick promised, letting his lips trail over her cheeks in a feather-soft caress. "And I'm not worried about AJ, I can take him--"

"Clean boxers?" Alana hoped, slipping her bandaged hand beneath his t-shirt for a quick caress of his chest.

"The Gnat said she washed them…" Nick trailed with a soft gasp, feeling his chest flutter at her touch.

"Your chest still hurts?" she guessed with a small frown, immediately pulling her hand back. "Sorry."

"No! I'm just…" Nick shifted slightly on the bed. "…You know…"

"No, I don't…" Alana trailed, wrinkling her nose in confusion.

"…Rising to the occasion?"

"Well if you'd wear some boxers or something when you ain't sleeping, maybe you'd have more layers of clothing to stop that…" Alana murmured, her cheeks flaring red with embarrassment as she forced herself into a seated position. Her legs were starting to ache at their dependant state, dangling off the bed. She just wanted to get home.

"Beautiful, I could be bundled up like an Eskimo and it wouldn't stop that," Nick chuckled, sliding away to retrieve a pair of boxers for her.

"I hope I'm the only one who can do that for you," Alana answered honestly as she watched him rummage around in his duffle bag, pulling out several pairs of boxers. She had to smile with soft amusement as he assessed the prints of each, trying to decide what she might like best. "I'm kind of hoping that those boxers won't be on long, Handsome… I really want to get a bath or something when I get home."

"A sponge bath?" Nick questioned hopefully, holding up a pair of white boxers with a pattern of chili peppers.

"I was kind of hoping I might be able to actually lie in some water. Mike said I can take the immobilizer off to get bathed as long as I don't bend my leg and my cast is water-proof so I don't have to worry about it getting damp," Alana corrected, nodding somewhat toward the boxers, knowing he'd make her wear them anyway.

"Okay… I'll get the tub ready for you when we get to Brian's," Nick assured her with a smile, moving to help her into the boxers. "Then it'll be time for your pain medicine and you, me and Snot Sucker can take a nap--"

"You wanted to give me a sponge bath, didn't you?" Alana suddenly guessed as Nick stooped to ease the boxers onto her legs. He made sure not to tender her pained legs as he helped them up to her hips. When she felt him lean over her, she held her breath and lifted her hips from the bed to help him pull them up to rest beneath her belly button.

"Maybe… But you'll let me wash your hair and your back, won't you?" Nick murmured as she eased back onto the mattress with a pained sigh.

"You can wash everything if you want," she promised as she rested her hands against the lowest portion of her abdomen, taking several calming breaths to ease the pain away from her body. Closing her eyes, she concentrated on Nick's breathing. "…Why do you want to do that?"

"Because I want to take care of you," Nick answered simply, catching her lips in a soft kiss.

"Then you can give me a sponge bath in the tub," she assured, flattening her hand gently against the side of his face as she nibbled his bottom lip, missing the taste of him.

"Have you asked Mike how long until I can--"

"The Jeep is loaded," Brian announced as he burst into the room, Howie right behind him.

"Great! Load me into the driver's side so I can get my ass home," Alana whooped as she brushed Nick away so she could sit up on the bed. But when she met Brian and Howie's horrified stares, she groaned softly. "I know I can't drive..."

"AJ rented a limousine to get you to Brian's," Howie informed her with a nervous chuckle, not sure she wouldn't try to drive herself home if the need arose. "He thought it would be a good idea so you could stretch out and not have to worry about cramping your legs up in a backseat…"

"Y'all are really sweet," Alana thanked with a small smile as Brian pushed the wheelchair close to her bed. She glanced down at the contraption, knowing she'd be stuck in it for several weeks till she was able to use crutches. But, getting into it would be the problem. Though, she didn't say anything as she noticed Natalie and AJ hurrying inside the room, arguing. "Brian, are you really sure you want me at your home? I'm perfectly fine going back to my house--"

"If I go home without you, I'll have a runaway child on my hands," Brian explained, setting the brakes on the wheelchair. "Not to mention, Natalie insists you stay with us--"

"I swear to God, Aje, I'm not above shoving your scrawny ass out the window," Natalie growled threateningly as she moved to retrieve the last flower arrangement in the window. Offering everyone a bright smile, she ignored AJ's stream of curses. "We all ready?"

"But you don't want me there, Brian," Alana sighed.

"You're my best friend's fi--girlfriend," Brian corrected immediately when Nick glared at him. "Not to mention my girlfriend's best friend. And I consider you like a sister. I won't take no for an answer. I want you there. Hell, if it'll make your recovery any easier, you can have the master bedroom."

"I don't want the master bedroom," Alana assured. "I really like the bedroom Nick designed--"

"Which means he better hustle his ass back and clean it," AJ whistled, eyeing the ceiling as he pursed his lips.

Nick eyed him carefully. "Clean it? …What'd you do to my room, you little--"

"How about I hop into my wheelchair before someone else is thrown back into the hospital?" Alana suggested as she reached to grab Nick's t-shirt, pulling him away from AJ.

Smiling innocently as Nick turned to lift Alana gently to place her in the chair, AJ turned to Howie. "…Hope Nicky likes feathers," he whispered conspiringly, rubbing his hands together with glee.

"What the Hell did you do?" Howie groaned.

"Anything to get Al into my bed instead of his pigpen!" AJ exclaimed.

Nick growled in annoyance after making sure Alana was settled in the wheelchair. "What the fuck did you do to my room?!"

"Handsome, don't--" Alana yelped in shock as her lover tripped over her left cast as he turned to yell at AJ, sending a rip of pain up her leg and him down on the floors.

"Nick, get up so I can kick your ass!" Natalie growled.

Nick slammed his hand against the floor in irritation. "Goddamnit--"

"Nick!"

"I'll risk going back to my house, 'cause staying with you people are going to kill me," Alana groaned.