- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
I was amazed at the good response I've had so far, so I decided to write a new chapter right away. Keep reviewing! And thanks for reading!
The couple, though they seemed anxious to make Michelle part of the family, respected Michelle's wishes, for the time being, and they came to visit the very next day. It was easier, or harder, depending on how you look at it, because there were no other children next to them. It was just Mr. and Mrs. Littrell (that's what they were called), and their other child.
"Hello!" said Mr. Littrell solemnly, though he desperately wanted to hug the little girl. Something in her gaze had touched him the day before, and she seemed in more need of a family and of love than many of the other children.
"Hi." Michelle said. She'd been combed my Matron Joanne herself, and she was wearing her newest dress, a green dress with a very full skirt which made her feel like a princess, so she was looking quite a bit better than the day before.
"Hi, Michelle." said Mrs. Littrell, then she nudged the little boy.
" 'Ello." he said. "I'm Baylee."
"Hi, Baylee, I'm Michelle." Michelle introduced herself.
"So tell us, Michelle... what do you like to do?"
"I- I like music... I've always wanted to learn how to sing and how to play the piano..."
Mr. Littrell's eyes widened. "Have you really? I'm a singer."
That didn't make Michelle feel any better. It meant that she had said the right thing, and she didn't want to say the right thing. She was pretty sure that they could be trusted, but she still preferred the orphanage: the familiar old building with the now-familiar children, and the things she'd gotten used to.
Mr. and Mrs. Littrell sat down on the couch with Baylee between them, and Michelle stood there reluctantly for a moment before deciding to climb on Mr. Littrell's lap, it felt right.
Mr. Littrell looked pleased. "Does that mean you've decided you want to come home with us, Michelle?" he softly whispered into Michelle's ear.
Michelle was more confused. Did she? She wasn't sure. A part of her wanted to yell "yes!", and the rest of her just wanted to run away, or pinch herself: it could be a dream.
All couples that seemed unlike her own parents seemed like a dream to her. It didn't seem possible that parents like that existed, and if parents really liked their children, and didn't hit them when they were greedy or bad, then why had hers done that?
Michelle just wasn't sure what to believe anymore.
"I- I don't know." Michelle softly answered. "It seems like a dream."
"Do you want me to tickle you and find out if you wake up?" Mr. Littrell teased.
Michelle smiled and shrank away, but Mr. Littrell and Mrs. Littrell attacked her with tickles.
"Stop! Stop!" Michelle yelled between giggles. "Okay." she said in a daze. "But can you adopt my sister, too? I don't want to be apart from her. And it's not fair that she gets left behind."
All giggles faded, the Littrells had not expected this.
"What's your sister's name?" asked Mrs. Littrell.
"Carrie."
"How old is she?"
"Twelve..."
Mr. and Mrs. Littrell gave each other a look that Michelle was unable to decipher.
"Well, let's see her." Mr. Littrell said after a long pause. They both seemed deep in thought. Mrs. Littrell got up and went to the hall, probably searching for Matron Joanne's office so that she could talk to her about this.
"So, Michelle... what color do you like best?"
"Green."
"It suits you." Mr. Littrell decided. "Your eyes are a beautiful green."
"Thanks."
"You've got Spanish eyes." he added, but Michelle didn't get it.
"Uh... my grandfather was Spanish." she explained.
"Really? From where?"
"Terrassa, I think it was called? Somewhere near Barcelona." Michelle said, surprised and proud at herself and her progress. She was actually managing to have a conversation with her father-to-be. And just a few minutes earlier she had dreaded the thought of coming to see them again.
Baylee, who'd been unusually quiet, snored softly.
Michelle looked at Mr. Littrell and burst into laughter, they both did.
Michelle liked Mr. Littrell, she decided. He didn't seem like a bad father, at least so far. Of course, her biological parents hadn't seemed like bad parents to anyone in town, either, and no one could believe it when news came out that they'd been taken to prison.
So who knew? But so far her childlike trust told her to trust them. They seemed very kind and interested in getting to know her and being her parents. And if she could have Carrie, too, at least she'd have someone she knew by her side.

---------

What makes you different
Makes you beautiful
What's there inside you
Shines through to me

What makes you different (makes you beautiful), Backstreet Boys.