- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Thanks for your support, here's another chapter for your enjoyment... =)
She wasn't to have her by her side.
For some unexplainable reason, Matron Joanne refused to let them adopt Carrie, but let them have Michelle.
When Michelle heard the news, she cried. She hadn't been close to Carrie, but she was still her sister. It just didn't seem right to be apart.
She was crying as Mr. and Mrs. Littrell signed the dozens of contracts and papers, and as they took her birth certificate, and as they helped her pack her things.
By two o' clock she was ready to go, but not, of course without talking to her sister.
"Carrie!" she exclaimed, although she was right in front of her. They both knew the news and were sobbing.
"I love you!"
"I'll never forget you!"
"We'll see each other again!"
"I'll ask them if I can come back and see you every time I'm feeling lonely."
"They can't separate us totally, Michelle. We'll see each other again." she repeated.
Then they hugged each other, a big bear hug and for the longest time neither of them let go of each other.
"Let's go." the Littrells said, after letting the girls hug and talk for more than half an hour.
"You'll write, won't you?" Carrie asked.
"Of course." Michelle said.
"Well, bye. Write soon." Carrie said.
They hugged one last time, said their last goodbyes, then Michelle took Mr. Littrell's hand as they walked to the car.
"Do you like cats, Michelle?"
"Yes, but my parents never let me have any." Michelle explained.
"Well, we've got a little kitten. Her name is Laika."
"That's an interesting name..."
"Baylee made it up, didn't you, Bay?"
"Yup!" the three-year-old proudly said, as he climbed into the car and strapped himself into his seat.
Michelle sat on the seat next to him, and also fastened her seat belt. She looked around. She'd never seen such a car before, it was very big and clean.
"Would you like a juice?" Mrs. Littrell asked, holding out a little bottle.
Michelle accepted it, and felt her stomach grumble.
"We'll stop at a restaurant to have a late lunch and celebrate." Mr. Littrell suggested. Michelle sipped at her juice, and much to her relief, did not spill a drop.
"Yeah!" yelled Michelle, then she fell quiet. "I've never been to one, I wouldn't know what to do..."
She was worried.
"Don't worry, Michelle, you'll do just fine." assured Mrs. Littrell.
Michelle was worried, anyway, and more when she saw the place they were going to be eating- very fancy.
They all sat at a table for four and Michelle looked around, stunned at how beautiful it all was. Flowers and candles everywhere, people in suits and dresses. Michelle felt both underdressed and out of place.
"Mr. Littrell," said Michelle. "I can't understand the menu."
Mr. Littrell began to explain what was in every plate, and in the end she just settled on a steak and fries- it was what seemed most safe.
So far, so good.
Michelle had a deliriously good time, enjoying both the food and the company.
"Now, Michelle, I saw that you don't have many things with you, so tomorrow first thing we'll take you shopping." Mrs. Littrell decided. "But for now we're going home and you can settle in. I'm sure it's all a bit confusing to you right now, but we love you and want to help you figure things out."
"Thanks." Michelle whispered. "I'll be a good girl."
"I'm sure you will, honey." Mrs. Littrell smiled.
The house was not too far away, just about an hour's drive. Michelle just looked out of the window and took in the sights, sights which would become familiar but that, for now, amazed her.
The house amazed her, too. It was like a mansion, three floors and plenty of extra bedrooms.
Her room was plain white, Michelle discovered, because she was to choose the colors and designs that she liked best to decorate her own room. It was bigger than any room she'd ever seen- and she liked it. She liked having her own double bed which she could jump on all she wanted, and a chest full of toys, and her own bathroom just next door.
It was like a dream. She could already see how it was going to be: a soft mint green color, with white curtains and white carpet. It was going to be beautiful.
That is, if it was real, and not a trap. It could be, Michelle told herself. Who in his right mind would give all this to a little girl he'd met just the day before?
And she already missed her sister.

-------

Without you I just can't find my way
In a perfect world
This could never happen
In a perfect world
You'd still be here

Perfect world, Simple Plan.