- Text Size +
Sorry to disappoint you guys who were hoping this was an update. Actually, it's just sort of an Author's Note/ Disclaimer that I feel needs to be read before this story progresses any further because I have some things I feel I need to get off my chest about the directions that I am choosing this story to go in. When I began planning and writing ALTOS, I really wasn't aware just how morally controversial the topic of cheating was going to be. I guess I hadn't thought about it much, never personally being in that position before. Yea, it happens all the time on soaps and nighttime dramas. It's entertaining, I suppose. But to some people, the topic is definitely one that they have very strong feelings about, especially when it concerns cheating on a spouse. I've come to realize in the last week or so, that cheating might just be up there with such heated topics as abortion and the death penalty. On one hand, you have those who believe that under no circumstances is cheating okay, especially when it concerns marriage. Wedding vows are meant to be taken very seriously and breaking them is one of the worst possible sins that you can commit. Yet on the other hand, look at the divorce rate in this country. Look at how many people have admitted to having affairs and cheating on spouses. It's pretty high... Kind of scary. So, obviously it does happen more often than you think, whether you're against the idea or more open to it.

       I'd like to make it very clear that I in no shape or form condone cheating. I for one do think it’s wrong. I've never been in a situation where I was at all tempted to cheat on anyone before, and I'd like to think that if I was, I'd stand my ground. Of course, I'm not going to go all moral because what happens if down the road in my life I do find myself at those crossroads? I don't want to be hypocritical at all, so I'm not passing judgment, just saying personally in most cases I think cheating is selfish.

       So then why write a story in which the two main characters, consciously, selfishly, and consensually, agree to cheat on their spouses with each other? Not only cheat, but have an ongoing affair? Why would Alyssa and Nick do that, especially since A) Alyssa was deeply hurt by Nick cheating on her a number of times and B) Nick is supposedly a different man, who has reformed from his cheating ways? I guess that's a good question. I've thought long and hard about my decisions and I've come up with some sort of conclusion. The whole cheating issue is so complex and deep I think. People cheat for so many different reasons and I think that both parties in a relationship are usually somewhat at fault for one person cheating. I do believe that sometimes cheating isn't as cut and dry as we think it might be and of course those of you who have been fans since UMS know that I am the queen of complexity and angst. I've always been attracted to situations that really eat away at your emotions and are complicated. I love gray areas, because I feel that's real. As much as sometimes people get turned off by my work because I don't write that neat little romance that ends in a perfect marriage and a couple of kids, that's not me. Right now, I'm sort of in a pretty cynical place when it comes to relationships, so for me to write a story like that, I feel like I'm clinging to a false hope. And not to sound all dark and depressed, but this is what I enjoy. Raw emotional pain. Might sound masochistic to some of you and I hope I portray this type of angst in a way that seems a lot lighter than it really is. I really am trying to balance out the dark with the light. My writing will never be a world full of sunshine and daisies, but that doesn't mean it won't have its rainbow at the end of it. I just hope that my faithful readers will stick with it and appreciate the story for its entirety. I realize that there will be points that I may royally piss some of you off, but hey if I can get you to feel that emotion over just a simple piece of fiction that has to say something right?

       I'm kind of going off on a bit of a tangent here (sorry lol I really do have a lot of pent up frustrations about my writing and how people perceive it.) In ALTOS both Alyssa and Nick are going to make mistakes. They're going to do things selfishly and without regard for other people. They're definitely flawed characters. But, it’s those flaws that make them human. Alongside these flaws I'm also hoping to portray some very real emotions that I think often get overlooked in these situations. They'll definitely be guilt, fear, mixed emotions... They're not just going to cheat and then be together. Do you think I'd make it that easy for them? This is going to be a long story and I won't say whether or not it has a happy ending, but I don't think you'll be disappointed. There will be consequences for their actions. They will lose a lot by choosing to be together. And that's what I'm trying to portray. At first it may sound like just lust, excitement, and passion, but it's a lot deeper than you think.

       So, whatever your feelings are on the cheating issue I ask you to try to go into this open minded. I'm trying to write this as objectively as possible. There will be times you'll be pleased and other times not so pleased. I hope that you can handle the road up ahead because it’s going to be emotional and bumpy. I'd love to have everyone stay with it, but I also know from recent experiences that some people's moral objections are just to strong and when you've invested so much time as a reader into a story and it starts going off course from where you wanted it to be, it's a very frustrating feeling. I guess if you really feel that strongly about it, where you just can't read it without getting upset, then you know what you have to do. It's really hard on me to lose not only readers, but for some of you friends, but I also refuse to change my vision and my style of writing because some people don't agree with it. After the ending of UMS I regretted my decision to end it the way I did because so many people felt it was wrong. I even contemplated turning ALTOS into that cheeky little romance every one else wanted, but I'd be miserable. I was actually considering giving up writing completely. Luckily, I changed my mind, but the experience has taught me one valuable lesson. I'm unique. I have my own personal writing style and I need to stay true to what made me popular in the first place.

Thank you for listening to me rant and I hope now that we're on the same page, the story can progress. Thanks for all my readers who have stuck by me and intend to continue to stick by me. You're truly my inspiration for doing what I do!

Luv Mel :)~