- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Nick tells Alyssa how he really feels.

 

Chapter 29 - You May Now Kiss the Bridesmaid

 

            The ceremony went off without a hitch and before Alyssa realized it, the actual wedding part was over and the bridal party was posing for pictures outside of the church. Teri had really looked gorgeous and it had been a beautiful ceremony. And surprisingly she and Nick had made it down the aisle as politely and professionally as possible. Evidently they must've pulled it off well because Shayla still shot her a dirty look as they'd past her by. Alyssa had just given her a wide smile in return.

 

            Now it was time to head over to the reception hall. They'd all piled back into the limos where they took more pictures. And then when they'd finally arrived at the reception still more pictures. Finally just when Alyssa thought that her mouth was going to be permanently frozen into a smile position it came time for the bridal party to finally make their entrance. Again she faked enthusiasm to be walking into the reception arm in arm with her ex boyfriend (and now she could add father to her child to the list) while a DJ announced them. But she was doing it for Teri and Howie, so she made the best of it for them.

 

            There was one wedding ritual she'd forgotten about though, the bride and groom's first dance. The wedding party would be expected to stand around for the first minute or so watching the happy couple dance to their slow song of choice for the first time as husband and wife. Then they'd be invited to join in, meaning Alyssa would have to slow dance with Nick until at least the DJ invited everyone onto the floor and Shayla had a chance to break them up. Any close contact with Nick was weird right now, but there was no getting out of it. You only have to dance with him for like a minute, she told herself. Surely you can stand that much. Besides you danced with him at his own wedding. This can't be any worse.

 

            She stood there watching from her spot on the dance floor as the DJ announced the new Mr. and Mrs. Dorough. She smiled, genuinely happy for her two friends. Then of course the beginning notes of "I'll Be" by Edwin McCain began to play. All eyes were on Teri and Howie as they took center stage of the dance floor and began to sway back and forth in each others arms to the music. Then came the awkward moment that she was dreading.

 

            "Our new couple now would like to invite the rest of the bridal party to join them in their first dance as husband and wife," the DJ announced. "Grab your partner and go out and join them."

 

            Nick grabbed her hands first. "Shall we?"

                                         

            Alyssa shrugged. "Guess we don't really have much choice." She followed him out to the center of the dance floor and tensely raised her arms up to his shoulders. She tried to find a comfortable position for her body, but with her growing stomach in between them it made it hard to get too close.

 

            "Sorry," she apologized, glancing down at her growing baby bump. "This is really awkward."

 

            Nick gave her a weak smile. "It's okay. You're pregnant. It's understandable."

 

            The two unsteadily rocked back and forth silently for a moment or two before Nick interrupted again. "I can't believe how big you've gotten since the last time I saw you." His cheeks immediately flushed as soon as he heard the way it had came out. "Not that I'm trying to say that you got fat or anything. I mean duh, you're pregnant. You're supposed to get bigger, right? I was just trying to say that it's just weird seeing you because you weren't really showing a few weeks ago and now you are." You're a fucking idiot Carter, he told himself realizing that he probably wasn't making himself sound any better.

 

            Luckily Alyssa didn't seem to be offended. She just lightly laughed. "It's okay Nick. I have been putting on weight lately and everyone seems amazed now that I'm actually beginning to look pregnant. Truthfully I do feel a bit like a whale and I'm not even at the halfway mark yet."

 

            "No, you don't. You look beautiful. Pregnancy definitely becomes you." Everything he said was absolutely true. Despite the extra weight around her middle, there was something radiant looking about her. Her skin seemed to glow healthier and her eyes shone a little brighter. Then of course there was the fact that her breasts were already beginning to look fuller. Ok, so he shouldn't be looking, but the keyhole neckline of the plum colored bridesmaids dress she was wearing automatically drew his eyes to the area. It was kind of hard not to notice.

 

            Alyssa shifted a little uncomfortably under his gaze. She could easily recognize the familiar look of longing in his blue eyes and quickly focused her eyes away from his. She knew that if she looked at him just then he'd only suck her back in to wanting him and things between them were complicated enough for the moment. "Thank you," she told him in a low voice.

 

            Just then she felt someone nudge her shoulder and she looked up to find Shayla standing next to her. "Do you mind if I take over now?" Nick's wife asked.

 

            Alyssa looked around the dance floor and noticed that finally other wedding guests were beginning to flood out on to the dance floor to join the bridal party. Couples were beginning to break apart and make new ones and it was now safe for her and Nick to part ways. The most awkward part of the evening was officially over with. "Of course. He's all yours," she responded, reluctantly letting go of his hands. "Thanks for the dance Nick."

 

            Before he could reply, Alyssa walked away off the dance floor. With Sean overseas she'd opted to attend the wedding stag. Well, actually she had bought Izzy along as her "date," but she was pretty sure that they'd make a funny couple slow dancing among the other couples. She headed back to the table where Izzy was sitting and plopped down next to her. "Well, that was sufficiently awkward," she announced.

 

            "I think a better term would be mildly entertaining," Izzy disagreed. "You didn't see the way that Shayla was shooting daggers at you the whole entire time. What's going on there? I thought she was cool with you and Nick still being friends?"

 

            Alyssa sighed, remembering that Izzy had no idea about everything that had really going on between her and Nick. There once was a time where she felt like she could tell Izzy anything, but when it came to this she just really wasn't sure how her best friend would react. Better off to pretend as if she was just as clueless as Izzy herself. "No idea. Maybe she's jealous because I'm pregnant? She's made it quite clear that she wanted a child."

 

            "Yea... Maybe that's it," Izzy echoed. "Whatever the case she looked pissed at you."

 

            "Whatever." Alyssa waved her hand. "I could care less." As her eyes focused in on Nick and Shayla dancing closely together on the dance floor, Alyssa knew that she was only lying to herself. It was obvious that Shayla was making a big show of marking her territory by the way her body was pressed up against Nick's and how she bent his head down to meet hers in a slow, sensual looking kiss. For the first time in a long time, Alyssa had to admit that the sight bothered her even though there was nothing wrong with it.

 

*********

 

            The first part of the reception passed by pretty quickly. There was a little bit of dancing before dinner was brought out and before everyone began to eat it was of course time to toast the newly married couple. Usually at most weddings this was typically the job of the best man, so Alyssa was surprised when she saw Nick was the one the DJ handed the microphone to as he stood up with his glass of champagne. She hadn't known that he was the one who was going to be making the speech, but she supposed it made sense since he knew both the bride and groom fairly well.

 

            "So, no one really wanted to make the toast, so all the groomsmen drew straws and well I lost," Nick nervously began with a joke. A few chuckles could be heard from various parts of the reception hall. "But seriously folks," he continued. "I've known Howie since I was all of thirteen years old. And for a long time there I seriously doubted his masculinity. Has anyone seen how many hair products this guy uses a day? He's the only guy I know who can spend longer than some of my girlfriends in front of the mirror, and that's saying a lot. He's been the butt of many of my practical jokes back in the day and he's always been a good sport, no matter what I put on him while he was sleeping. So, any guy who could put up with me drawing embarrassing body parts all over their faces has to be a pretty amazing man."

 

            "Truthfully throughout the years Howie has become more than just a band mate or a friend to me. He's become not only a brother, but the only guy who can call me Nicky without getting his ass kicked. I have to admit that when he first introduced me to Teri over here, I almost laughed in his face. AJ and I were taking bets on how long it would last because the two of them seemed like just two complete polar opposites. But you know what? The two of them shocked all of us. I'll spare all of you the wild details, but let's just say that I was subjected to way too much personal information between the two of them, and I don't think I'll ever be able to look at Howie the same again as a result." There were more laughs, but then Nick turned serious. "Howie and Teri taught me an important lesson though about love. You can't control who you fall in love with. Even if it seems like on the outside you have nothing in common, sometimes two people just click and I truly believe that's what happened with these two. Sometimes you're not exactly sure why you love a person, but you just do. It's unexplainable, but it just feels right. I know that the love that these two share is very unique and the kind of love that everyone hopes to experience at some point in their life, but few are really lucky enough to find it. If you are as fortunate as Teri and Howie then you should consider yourself truly blessed. Don't let go of it. It's worth fighting for. Anyway I'm honored to wish Howie and Teri a huge congratulations on their wedding and I hope that their future is long and bright together." He raised his glass in the air as everyone else clinked theirs together before taking a sip.

 

            Alyssa took in a shaky breath as she swallowed her glass of sparkling cider. Nick's speech had definitely thrown her for a loop. Maybe it was her imagination, but she could've sworn she'd seen his eyes focus in her direction at several points throughout the toast. It almost seemed as if he was speaking those words directly to her, but no... she had to just be paranoid. Nick had seemed pretty pissed at her a few weeks ago. And he was back with Shayla now. Why would he hint that he was still in love with Alyssa yet voluntarily go back to his wife? Still all the talk about unexplainable feelings and fighting for true love hit way too close to home to her. Since when was Nick so poetic?

 

            She looked up again to find Nick's eyes glued on her. All it took was one glance to confirm her fears. He had indeed been talking about her. And something about the way he looked at her told her that he was ready to fight for her and the child that she was carrying.

 

********

 

            After dinner, Alyssa was too shaken by Nick's speech to really enjoy herself. Instead of losing herself on the dance floor with the rest of her friends, she opted to sit by herself, her mind racing to process this new turn of events. She felt panicked by the possibility of having to face Nick again and already felt her heart pound rapidly with just the mere thought of it. This stress isn't good for the baby, she realized as she felt almost as if the walls of the room were beginning to close in on her. I need to step outside to get some air and calm down.

 

            Getting up from her table, she grabbed the matching plum colored wrap that went with her dress and wrapped it around her shoulders. She headed outside the reception hall onto the terrace just outside. There were all sorts of benches, gazebos, and gardens that lay out in front of her, perfect for snapping wedding pictures. Thankfully it provided enough privacy for her to be alone for a minute or two while she gathered herself together.

 

            Or so she thought. She just wrapped her shrug tighter around her shoulders to shield herself from the crisp night air when she felt a shadow fall over her body. Spinning around she found herself face to face with the absolute last person she wanted to see at the moment. "Nick! What are you doing out here? You almost gave me a heart attack, sneaking up on me like that!"

 

            "Sorry," he immediately apologized. "I just saw you come out this way and I thought I'd follow you. You seemed upset. Are you okay?"

 

            "I'm fine," she lied. "I just needed some air."

 

            Nick looked down at his hands nervously. "I wanted a chance to talk to you anyway and it's nice and private out here. Maybe we can take a little walk?"

 

            Alyssa hesitated for a minute or two. She'd really come out here to be alone and get away from Nick, but her efforts appeared to only be in vain. She couldn't seem to come up with a polite way to brush him off, so she just shrugged her shoulders. "Sure I guess so."

 

            Nick took her by the arm and led her towards one of the nearby gazebos. Its rounded top offered them plenty of privacy, but they were still close enough to the hall to hear the music playing from inside. He helped her sit down on the bench inside before he plopped down beside her. "I want to apologize for acting like such an ass to you after you told me about the baby," he began cutting right to the chase.

 

            "Nick, its fine. You had every right to be pissed. I'd probably feel exactly the same way if I were you." She sighed. "I hate doing this to you. I know I'm being a really big bitch, but in the long run it's the best thing for the both of us. I mean like I've said, Sean is really excited about this whole fatherhood thing and now you're back together with Shayla... It's really how it has to be, unless you want to destroy your marriage. I for one think I've hurt Sean enough already. I can't make things any worse."

 

            "I forgive you Alyssa. Can't say I'm happy with your decision, but I forgive you."

 

            Alyssa frowned, obviously upset by his act of forgiveness. Why was he being so understanding? It only made things harder. "Why are you acting like your okay with this Nick? I mean can't you just hate me? It would make it a lot easier. In fact, you should hate me. Here I am playing with your emotions and dangling the idea of a child in your face only to snatch it away in the end. I'm a major bitch! You have every right to hate me."

 

            Nick just shrugged. "I don't hate you Alyssa. I don't think I've ever hate you at any point in our relationship. Frustrated as hell at you, but never hated. I don't think I could hate you, no matter what you do to me."

 

            "Why did you and Shayla get back together?" She suddenly asked changing the subject. "I mean up until recently you were all set to divorce her. Then I drop the baby bombshell on you and you jump right back into your arms. I'm not stupid Nick. I know you didn't coincidentally decide to forgive her out of the blue sky."

 

            He took a deep breath. "Honestly? You're right. I got back together with her because I felt betrayed by you. In a sense you almost hurt me just as bad as she did. You didn't lie to me about being pregnant, but you did give me the false hope that I was going to be a father and then rip it away from me exactly like she did. I figured if I was able to forgive you after all of that surely I could forgive her, but I was wrong."

 

            "What do you mean, you were wrong?"

 

            "I don't love her anymore. It's not the same as when we first got together. Yea, we put on a show for everyone around us and the media, but truthfully speaking I'm not really attracted to her anymore," he confessed. "Well, physically, yes... But emotionally no. My heart is somewhere else."

 

            Alyssa's breath caught in her throat again and before she could further inquire about exactly where it was that his heart was, she felt an eerie chill travel down her spine as she heard the familiar notes of a very fitting song float from inside the reception hall. Okay this is almost too much for me, she thought as she began to realize where this all was heading.

 

            Nick smirked as he too recognized the song. "Want to dance?"

 

            "Dance? Out here?" she asked.

 

            "Yea, why not?" He pulled her up to her feet and wrapped his arms around her body tightly. This time there was no awkwardness, at least on his end, and with no one around to see them he pulled her body as close to his as he could.

 

This romeo is bleeding
But you can't see his blood
It's nothing but some feelings
That this old dog kicked up

It's been raining since you left me
Now I'm drowning in the flood
You see I've always been a fighter
But without you I give up

 

            Allowing herself to finally relax in his arms, she very tentatively let her guard down enough to momentarily push any thoughts about Sean and how wrong this was out of her head. In that moment, as she laid her head comfortably against his chest, she closed her eyes and let herself pretend that they'd traveled back to happier times. Times before Sean, before Shayla, and before she'd gotten pregnant.

           

Now I can't sing a love song
Like the way it's meant to be
Well, I guess I'm not that good anymore
But baby, that's just me

And I will love you, baby - Always
And I'll be there forever and a day - Always
I'll be there till the stars don't shine
Till the heavens burst and
The words don't rhyme
And I know when I die, you'll be on my mind
And I'll love you - Always

           

            She opened her eyes and realized that this had to be the epitome of cheesiness. Here she was dancing with her ex boyfriend in a gazebo to Bon Jovi? This definitely rated up there with chick flick fluffiness. Although Alyssa considered herself a closet romantic, very rarely was she used to moments like these and she couldn't allow herself just to fully appreciate the moment. Especially when those lingering thoughts of Sean that she'd been trying so hard to push aside kept slipping back into her mind. The words of the next verse made her feel even more uncomfortable.

 

Now your pictures that you left behind
Are just memories of a different life
Some that made us laugh, some that made us cry
One that made you have to say goodbye
What I'd give to run my fingers through your hair
To touch your lips, to hold you near
When you say your prayers try to understand
I've made mistakes, I'm just a man

 

            Nick on the other hand was completely caught up in the moment which was new for him. In the past he was always the one who was holding back, but as of lately he'd been a lot more open and aware of his feelings for Alyssa. It was true. At first he was unbelievably hurt by Alyssa's decision to hide the fact that her baby was actually his. His feelings even confused him a bit, because it wasn't like he wanted a baby at this point in his life, but it still had happened and he was hurt that he wasn't given a say so in the matter. He'd felt so betrayed that he'd run right back into Shayla's arms in hopes that act alone would be enough payback to Alyssa. In the end though, the only person he'd hurt was himself. Alyssa seemed almost relieved that he and Shayla were back together now. The first week or two of them getting back together had been great, almost like a second honeymoon for them. But of course things couldn't stay that way forever and when the dust settled Nick realized that not much had changed about Shayla. The same problems that they'd been struggling with all along were starting to resurface. Then there was the fact that he couldn't get Alyssa out of his head. Finally he'd reached the inevitable conclusion that he had been denying for weeks now. He was still in love with Alyssa. Even more so now knowing that she was carrying his child.

 

When he holds you close, when he pulls you near
When he says the words you've been needing to hear
I'll wish I was him 'cause those words are mine
To say to you till the end of time

 

            Of course he knew that Alyssa didn't feel the same about him. Yes, there definitely was attraction between the two of them. That was undeniable. But just the guilt and the way that Alyssa was so broken up about betraying Sean was enough evidence for Nick to realize that he'd just caught her at a moment of weakness. Despite all the physical attraction in the world, her heart belonged to Sean which damn near killed him. Throughout their years together he'd taken for granted how readily available she'd always been to him. Usually he was the one who was wrapped up in someone else. He'd never once stopped to think that maybe someday another man would step in and take his place in her life. He'd been selfish in his younger years and now that he'd finally pulled his head out of his ass and realized how badly he wanted her, it was too late.

 

Yeah, I will love you baby - Always
And I'll be there forever and a day - Always

If you told me to cry for you
I could
If you told me to die for you
I would
Take a look at my face
There's no price I won't pay
To say these words to you

 

            Maybe it was the closeness of her body at the moment. The scent of her skin. Or maybe it was the intensity of the lyrics of the song. Whatever it was Nick finally realized that he couldn't bottle his feelings up inside any longer. He needed to let her know how he felt about her. Granted, he knew it would be a long shot for her to actually accept his feelings, but he needed to get them out there even if it would only complicate things further. She deserved to know how he really felt about her. "Alyssa?" he spoke her name softly. "There's something I need to tell you."

 

            Alyssa's head shot up, her brow already knitted in concern as if she knew what was coming. "What?" she asked her voice deep with worry.

 

            Nick nervously pulled away for a moment so that he could look her in the eye as he gripped her hand in his. He nervously licked his lips before beginning his off the top of his head speech. "You know how you've been saying that it's best to let Sean to continue to believe that this baby is his because he wants it so badly and I really don't want kids?" Alyssa slowly nodded her head. "Well, you're right. I didn't want kids. A child doesn't exactly fit into my current plans, but that doesn't mean that I never wanted them." He stopped for a moment to collect his thoughts as Alyssa gave him a confused look. "Actually there's only one woman that I even could see myself having kids with and that woman is you. So, I have to be honest. This playing off the baby as Sean's is not okay with me. I know I agreed to it at first, but I just can't go through with it in good faith. Not only because it's not fair to Sean, but..." He paused and took in a deep breath. "I'm still in love with you Alyssa. I just didn't realize it until after you told me about the baby. Yea, I was stupid and I went back to Shayla, but like I said I'm not in love with her anymore. I love you. You do realize that almost my entire toast earlier, yea was about Teri and Howie, but in my own subtle way I as referring to us, right? The whole thing about feeling this unexplainable connection to another person and not being able to understand why you're attracted to them is totally how I feel about you and me. We've made some huge mistakes in our pasts, but things are different now! We're older and I think that we have things more in perspective now. Just please give me another chance?"

 

Well, there ain't no luck
In these loaded dice
But baby if you give me just one more try
We can pack up our old dreams
And our old lives
We'll find a place where the sun still shines

 

Alyssa sighed and Nick could already make out the glint of tears in her eyes. "You're not in love with me Nick," she insisted. "You just feel like you have to be because I'm carrying your child. That's it."

 

            "No, that's not it at all!" he argued. "I do love you. I know I've tossed around those words pretty meaninglessly before with you, but this time I swear it's for real. I'm ready now, I promise."

 

            The tears that Alyssa tried to hold back now spilled freely down her cheeks. Why did he have to wait to now to tell her that he was in love with her? Why couldn't he have figured this out four years ago? "Nick, even if you are telling me the truth I'm sorry, but it's too little too late. I'm married to Sean and I have no intentions of breaking things off with him especially now. I love him and it's not worth giving that up for another chance with you where I'll probably only wind up hurt in the end."

 

            "I'm different now though! I swear I've changed! Just give me this chance. You could divorce Sean and I could leave Shayla and we could pick up someplace new. It could work this time!"

 

            Alyssa froze deep in thought for a moment as she considered his suggestion. She tried to imagine the two of them running off together with their child and living happily ever after, but found the image too blurry for her. How she'd loved to have trusted him, but he'd hurt her way too many times. Plus it just seemed almost too perfect. It was ironic because in the past she'd always been the one begging for them to be together. Now the tables have turned and Alyssa wanted no part of it. Sure Nick definitely had changed a lot these recent years, but she was still unsure if he had changed enough for them to successfully be together. The man did have a horrible track record in relationships. Maybe he was the problem.

 

            "Please," he continued to beg. "Let's just give this a chance. Let me show you how much I've changed." Before he could say anymore his fingertips slid up her neck to her chin and tilted her head towards his, pressing his lips gently against hers as his thumbs brushed away the tears that wandered down her cheeks. Caught off guard by the kiss, Alyssa automatically responded, opening her mouth up wider as it deepened. An excited chill went through her body, but then she froze once she realized the full effect his kiss had on her. Deep down there somewhere she had feelings for him too and she knew that if she didn't get herself out of this situation quickly, she'd only wind up doing something that she'd later regret.

 

            Reluctantly, she wrenched herself out of his grasp, breathing heavily from the intensity of the kiss. "I'm sorry Nick, but I just can't do this anymore." Before he could do or say anything else she turned her back and fled from him, running as fast as a pregnant woman possibly could in heels which wasn't very fast. Nick could've very easily caught up with her, but he let her go. Probably figured that it would only make a bad situation worse.

 

            Nick watched her run off, frustrated with how forward he'd been. Damn it! He silently cursed as he threw his fist down onto the wooden railing of the gazebo. Now I only fucked things up even worse between us. He sighed and say back down on the bench his head in his hands as he tried to pull himself together. He'd have to head back into the reception and he knew that Shayla had to have been looking for him by now. He just hoped he hadn't completely shattered any last chance he had at least still having a friendship with Alyssa.

 

And I will love you, baby - Always
And I'll be there forever and a day - Always
I'll be there till the stars don't shine
Till the heavens burst and
The words don't rhyme
And I know when I die, you'll be on my mind
And I'll love you - Always

~ Always by Bon Jovi

 

********

 

            By the time that Nick reentered the reception, Alyssa was nowhere to be found. After a quick conversation with Tricia and AJ, he learned that Alyssa and Izzy had just left a few minutes earlier. Alyssa had made some excuse about not feeling well, and being pregnant everyone seemed to understand and urged her to go home and rest. It was just as well. He really hadn't been in the mood to face her right now anyway.

 

            It wasn't long before Shayla had found him and after mumbling some excuse to her about catching up with an old friend outside (not a complete lie) they'd headed over to the bar where Nick got a much needed beer. He probably should've opted for something stronger, but he didn't want to wind up getting trashed at one of his best friends weddings.

 

            "Ooh... Teri's about to throw the bouquet!" Shayla squealed. "Let's move closer. I want to see this."

 

            "Why? Not like you can go up there and catch it," Nick pointed out. "You're married."

 

            "I know. I just find it very entertaining to watch girls scramble over themselves to catch a stupid bouquet of flowers. I don't know what all the fuss is about. You'd think it really meant that they'd be the next to get married."

 

            Nick had to agree. At their own wedding, Izzy had caught the bouquet and had been almost certain that Tristan would pop up and propose to her any minute. Over two years later, Izzy had yet to see an engagement ring and both Alyssa and now Teri had beat her to the alter. But he did suppose that it could be interesting to watch a bunch of single woman fight over a bouquet of flowers. One could only hope that maybe it would result in a fist fight.

 

            "All right," he agreed as he steered her towards a perfect spot near the edge of the dance floor where they'd have a perfect view of the festivities. There was already a small crowd of impatient women gathered there pushing there way to be closer.

 

            They both watched as Teri turned her back to the crowd and at the count of three tossed the bouquet over her shoulder. The flowers landed on the ground in the center of the crowd of women along with several of them diving to retrieve the bouquet. There seemed to be a bit of a struggle and just as Nick was beginning to think that maybe his wishes for a cat fight had become true, a gorgeous looking blonde who Nick thought he remembered as one of Teri's friends from college gripping the flowers over her head in victory. It didn't seem to matter to her that her carefully styled hair had now come slightly undone and one of her dress straps were slipping off her shoulder.

 

            "Now it's time for Howie to throw the garter, so all you single men please make your way to the dance floor," the DJ announced. "And let me just say whoever who catches this one is one lucky man."

 

            "Dude I'm so there!" AJ announced from his spot him and Shayla.

 

            "Uhh... In case you've forgotten you have a girlfriend J," Nick reminded him with a laugh as he gestured towards Tricia. "And I thought you didn't believe in the idea of marriage?"

 

            "I do have a girlfriend and I don't believe in marriage, but did you see that girl? Those legs? She's fucking hot!"

 

            Nick just looked at Tricia who just shrugged. "She is hot," she admitted. "And if AJ wants to try for an opportunity to slip a garter on her leg then let him. At least he's honest about it."

 

            "See, that's why I love this woman!" AJ wrapped his arm around his girlfriend and dropped a light kiss on her head. "She never gets jealous."

 

            "Okay, Don Juan, you better get out there if you want a chance to feel up Blondie's leg because they're about to start," Tricia laughed.

 

            Nick stared at the two of them a little jealously for a moment, wishing that Shayla could be as secure with him as Tricia was with AJ. His thoughts were interrupted though as AJ rushed on to the dance floor just as Howie had turned his back.

 

            "Over here Howie!" he heard AJ's voice shout as he jumped up and down. "I'm wide open! Straight to your left!"

 

            If there was one thing that Howie admittedly wasn't the greatest it was anything athletic, including throwing objects in a specific direction. Wanting to help his friend out, he threw the garter over his shoulder, trying to angle his direction to the left. Unfortunately, instead of heading straight back, it curved all the way left away from the dance floor. Nick watched in shock as the garter seemed to head right towards him. Even he was amazed at the probability when the garter landed not at his feet, but straight around the neck of his beer bottle.

 

            Howie whirled around to see where his shot had wound up and pressed his hand to his mouth trying not to laugh when he saw Nick's bewildered expression. "How come you're never that good at ring toss at the carnival?" Teri's voice teased from the sidelines.

 

            Nick's mouth was still frozen in shock. Seriously what were the chances of that happening? Like one in two billion? He was brought back to the present as he heard AJ stamp his feet. "No fair! Carter is already married! He can't catch the garter! Why does he always get the hot chicks?"

 

            Nick laughed at AJ's tantrum and removed the garter from his beer bottle. "Quit your whining. You can have it." He tossed the lacy piece of elastic towards AJ which caused his eyes to light up. God, sometimes he really thought AJ was worse than a little kid.

 

            Shayla looked up at him rather amused. "So you caught the garter."

 

            "I did not catch the garter. The garter caught me. Or rather my beer bottle," he argued.

 

            Her eyes continued to twinkle, a smug expression on her face. "You know what it means though? Legend has it that the man who catches the garter is the next man to get married."

 

            "Well, that can't be true because I'm already married. Besides I thought you said that those beliefs were a load of crap anyway?"

 

            Shayla laughed. "Relax Nick. I'm only teasing you. Let's go sit down. They're going to cut the cake soon."

 

            "Fine," Nick agreed. "But I think I'm going to get another beer first. I don't think I want my lips touching anything that's been touched by something that was touching the inside of Teri's thigh. That's just nasty."

 

            Shayla giggled at his joke as she led him away from the dance floor. Even though he'd played it off like it was no big deal the fact that the garter had chosen his beer bottle to land on filled him with a funny feeling. Nick wasn't someone who searched for signs very much in life, but he couldn't help but to feel like that garter meant something and was a hell of a lot more than a coincidence.

Chapter End Notes:
Thanks to Steph, Tri, and Teri for looking over parts of this chapter for me!