- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
So wow another chapter! I'm excited I pulled this one out so fast. Alot of things going on this chapter, especially the ending. I know it's happening fast but in real life it can happen even faster! Anyways Hope you all enjoy!
Chapter Thirty-Eight: New Addition

"So what color do you want to paint our bedroom?" Alyssa asked as she stood in front of the massive paint display at Monterrey's local Home Depot.

Nick shrugged, "White is too plain?" He asked not really knowing what he should say he didn't really care about what the color of his bedroom was as long as it wasn't some atrocious color like Pepto bismol pink.

Alyssa gave him a glance, "Come on it's our bedroom and you want white? The color of purity and mental institutions?" She retorted making his face break out in a wide amused grin. "I'm serious, I would like a color that would contrast nicely with the bed that my mom bought us. It's being delivered tomorrow and I would really like to have at least the bedroom painted by then."

"Hmm ok what about blue? Like a stripe sort of thing?" He suggested pointing to two colors that would compliment the espresso mahogany bed frame.

Alyssa glanced at it and smiled, "Definitely. Make sure we get low fume because I really don't want to be inhaling paint fumes for the few weeks we're here and setting up the house."

Nick smiled and nodded getting a few paint cans and dropping them into their basket. "So what about the game room you know where the television is going?"

"How about taupe? It's an off white but since the walls are going to be covered with shelving, couches and entertainment equipment I figure lighter is better in there."

Nick agreed and they continued around picking out paint for every room in their house. "I think we should leave the guest rooms alone for now. At least until we figure out what we want to do with them. The office is perfect with the white."

Alyssa grinned and leaned over the side of the cart and kissed him. She broke the kiss and went over grabbing a bunch of painting supplies, brushes, rollers, mixing palates. "Do we need a drill? To you know hang stuff up?"

He shrugged and sighed, "I don't know what do you think?"

"Well I was thinking, the television, pictures, your awards to put up in the office..." She explained trailing off as she placed a drill into the cart as well. They found everything they were looking for and made their way to the check out counter. They finished up and dropped off all the supplies at the house including setting up the large air mattress in their bedroom since they wouldn't have their bed until the morning.

"So where to next? I was thinking we could go shopping in town and pick up some food for dinner tonight."

"Something simple though since we don't have any cutlery or pots and pans." Alyssa reminded.

"We could always buy the stuff we need."

"True...Hey there's a farmer's market stop I want to get some stuff there." She said pointing to the side of the road. He pulled off and parked and both of them went over to the stands. "Can you go pick out some vegetables for dinner tonight? I'm going to check over here." She requested as they broke away from each other. She walked around finding a display of fresh flowers. She leaned down smelling the freesias and took a bundle in her hand before standing up. She stopped short seeing a very familiar couple on the other side.

Brandon looked over and stopped staring for a moment. "Alyssa? What are you doing here?" He asked oddly amused by her appearance. He wrapped his arm tighter around Courtney's shoulder as Alyssa's eyes shifted between them.

"I live here in Monterrey now..." She replied stumbling over her words. "What brings you here?" She asked with a happy grin.

Just as they began formulating their answer Nick came walking up behind Alyssa, "Baby look I found marsala wine, maybe we could make....Hello Brandon..." He said looking over at the other couple and wrapped his arm around her waist resting it on her lower abdomen showing off his wedding band.

"You look well." Brandon replied noting the changes in Nick's appearance. "Court read about your wedding in the tabloids, congratulations."

Alyssa smiled brightly over at Nick and then back to them, "Congratulations on your nuptials as well I read about them last fall."

"Thanks, we're actually on our way up to Lodi and Napa, we're going wine tasting." Courtney replied making the two women awkwardly smile at each other.

"Well have fun, we're moving into our house this weekend." Alyssa replied as they departed from each other. Brandon looked back and smiled at them before following his wife back to their truck.

Nick sighed and took Alyssa's hand remaining silent for the rest of their shopping trip. Alyssa rolled her eyes to herself, knowing that Brandon's little guest spot in their shopping excursion definitely had killed his good mood for the day. She knew that as well he maybe incandescently happy with their life together the memory of all that had transpired between her and Brandon was always going to be a rather rough sore spot. Call it his own possessiveness or whatever you wanted, but for the most part at the mere mention of Brandon he still could visualize in his head the two of them together and it made him sick to his stomach with jealousy and anger.

When they arrived back to their new home Nick trudged in carrying as many bags as he could setting them on the granite countertop. Alyssa looked at him pensively as he busied himself with getting things put away and organized for their house painting party for two. "Just say it." She said looking at him, waiting for the explosion of emotions he was trying to keep held inside of him.

Nick shook his head, "I'm fine, really." He said flatly, his voice purposefully holding little to no emotion at all.

Alyssa knew that look, knew exactly what was racing through his head. She moved over to him taking the paint brushes out of his hands and turned him backing him up against the cabinetry of the room. She stood on her tip toes leaning her entire body against him. "I love you." She said making him look at her.

"I know...but that doesn't mean I don't still think about what happened, or that just seeing him makes me think of his hands on you. I'm weak okay?" He said gritting his teeth.

Alyssa's face softened and she kissed along his neck. "I know. That's why I prove to you everyday that I'm so happy you chose me. That we've been able for the most part to get over it. I mean come on I married you. I've given you everything I can so really you won. I know it hurts to think about it. Believe me it hurts me so much to see the pain I caused...over something so stupid and insignificant. You're not weak lover...you're human." She reminded as he looked at her and nodded.

"Come on let's get this house done." He said with a weak grin.

*******************************************************
Alyssa Narrating:

Life has definitely been interesting since we tied the knot two months ago. We've been definitely in the honeymoon phase of our relationship. And even seeing Brandon, though temporarily shifted us back to a time where we wished we didn't have to go it was good to remind us to appreciate the insane happiness we have right now.

There's been so much for us to be thankful for and make us appreciate each other. For one thing, Howie's father passed away. And it was really hard to witness the range of emotions at the funeral. We went of course, I wouldn't have had it any other way. Nick was always so close with Howie, with each of the guys, but Howie's family adored them, treated them as family too.

It was hard on everyone. I didn't really know his dad all that well aside from meeting him briefly at Howie's wedding. At least he got to see that though, to watch his son marry the girl he loves. More than I can say for my own father. He never got to see his two youngest get married off.

Witnessing the same pain on Howie's face, on his siblings faces. It was difficult to swallow for me personally. Nick was particularly melancholic as well, hugging each one of the Doroughs in a tight grieving hug. He loved Howie's family, almost as much as he loved my family or even his own family. It wasn't an easy thing for him to deal with.

I wasn't the only one having an extremely hard time witnessing the loss of someone's father. Kevin was there too, holding Kristin and Mason tightly to himself. He and I have always been kindred spirits the two of us, both losing our fathers to cancer. I hugged him and we both gave long heartfelt condolences to Howie and his family.

After the funeral Nick and I stuck around, just being there for Howie as he clung to Leigh. Even though he knew it was coming, the death still rocked him vigorously. His father was a very huge influence in his life and to see that all end because of a stupid disease reminded him far too much of his sister Caroline. Nick tried to lift his spirits, to distract him a little but nothing really seemed to work.

It was then we took off letting him go through the grieving process knowing full well that Leigh would be his rock through everything as she always had been and promised to be for the rest of their lives. We didn't want to go back to LA, or even to Monterrey at all. I didn't want to face my family. I knew Mom would come over and ask all the questions about what happened, we'd cry and reminisce about Daddy and I just can't do that right now.

At the funeral I didn't know what came over me, maybe it was the overwhelming sadness throughout the room but I felt myself breaking down and crying like a wet mop. Nick cried too, tried to hide it but it was futile to conceal his pain. When we got to our home in Franklin we collapsed into bed, taking our time with each other, finding comfort and solace in the fact that we had each other. I don't think we left our bedroom for two whole days aside from running down to the kitchen to grab food.

Those two days, although preceded by sadness and grief, were two of the best days we've had together. We didn't talk about the negativity of our life or our past except in terms of happiness. Talking about times we spent all night on the phone just staving off sleep for the both of us. Or the multitude of times that he had to reign in his emotions and desires to kiss me when he thought he couldn't have me.

We talked about our families, my parents, his, the siblings and how life has changed everyone in such different ways. Olivia and Angela had their child, Mackenzie, a beautiful little girl with brilliant porcelain skin and bright blonde hair like her biological mom Angela. We wanted to fly out for it but Olivia said to wait that they'd see us in due time that we needed our little honeymoon away from the world to enjoy each other in every way a newly married couple should.

I realized how much I loved my sister then. She's radiant in the pictures she sent us, looking down at the daughter that Angela gave her. They were a family, finally after months and months of trying and shots and doctors they'd done it. I cried on the phone when she called to tell me the news and I heard the soft cry of a baby in the background. My sister was a mom...I was an aunt for a second time. It made me beam with pride and Nick was elated for them as well even sent them a sign for their nursery that was wooden and carved to say "you are loved".

That man amazes me sometimes, my husband...So weird to say that but it's growing on me more quickly than I thought it would. I love that he calls me his wife. I feel a flutter in my stomach every time he says it. It's disgustingly cute. Another time in my life seriously I would be smacking myself for finding the littlest things he does to be the epitome of happiness.

Isn't that supposed to be what it's like for us right now? So blindly happy and settled because we're in the honeymoon phase. I know this won't last forever and we'll get our first fight and we'll go back to normal soon. I'm just milking it right now, for all it's worth because honestly we're going to be married for the rest of our lives so might as well make this time some of the best memories we can. I'd love to have memories like my parents did.

Mom was pregnant when she married my dad. They were blissfully happy for quite a long time after their elopement despite her family's objections to a shot gun elopement in Vegas of all places. And really I'm trying to make this time just as memorable. Something we'll remember 30-40 years from now when our kids are starting families of their own and asking for advice.

Crazy I know, but I'm looking forward to the future now more than ever and I really like what I see.

End Narration.
******************************************

Nick watched as Alyssa bent down lining up her shot on the pool table aiming for a striped ball. He watched with an amused grin on her face as she absently let her tongue peek out of her lips slightly. He loved watching her concentrate on something so simple as a pool game. And even better he loved the view down the front of her shirt that he was privy to at the moment. She slid the stick through her fingers hitting the cue ball just so, it spun towards the ball and it hit a side rail bouncing off and out of range where she wanted.

He chuckled seeing her brow furrow in frustration and she threw down her pool cue in anger at herself. "I give up!" She said exasperatedly. "Do you want some lunch I'll make us some?" She added moving past him. He smiled and let her go watching her walk out of the room with a sly grin on his face. "If you'd rather watch my ass than help me out why not just come in here then?"

He smiled and poked his head into the kitchen. "I'm going to put on a movie meet me in the living room." He replied making her grin at him before he went into the living room and searched through their small stack of DVD's that they kept at the house. Finding nothing that appealed to him he turned on the television looking for something they could watch not realizing that she had already come into the room with two plates of sandwiches and salads.

"Nothing on?"

"Not much really, it's a weekday most people are working." He replied as they ate and settled on some nameless action flick. Alyssa snickered as they finished up their food and stole the remote away from him she flicked through the movie channels and stopped seeing Cruel Intentions come on. She grinned and dropped the remote on the coffee table and snickered at the part they'd ended up on, the sex scene.

She watched and sighed as the romantic steamy scene played out. Nick chuckled and pulled her to lay back against his chest and wrapped his arms around her playing with the skin peeking below the fabric of her shirt that had rose up her waist slightly. He paid attention to her breathing smirking at how this particular movie always got to her. She shifted against him rubbing against his groin inadvertently. "You're asking for it aren't you?" He remarked making her tilt her head up to look at him.

"You're the one who pulled me to lay on you. I can't help it that you're insatiable sometimes." She joked back.

"Oh really..." He said moving his hand up to gently graze down her neck to her chest feeling her half wince and moan as he caressed her through her clothing. "You all right?" The wince took him aback for a moment hoping he hadn't hurt her.

"No just a little sore, probably nearing that time of the month..." She said with an air of sadness to her voice. She had hoped that she wouldn't be getting another time of the month for quite some time.

Nick disregarded her comment and moved his hands to her jeans unbuttoning them and slipping his hand down the front searching out her wetness with his fingers. Alyssa arched her back and moaned softly. He moved his fingers along her slit, encircling her clit every so lightly that she hissed and bucked her hips against his hand in response. She loved that he just took what he wanted nowadays, no questions just went for it but at that moment in time she decided that she wanted them both sans clothing. She tried to push his hand away from her but his grip tightened as he thrust two fingers inside of her.

"Fuck..." She gasped loudly making him chuckle at her. "You think it's funny?"

"No but I love watching your reaction when I do this..." He replied pressing his thumb to her clit in time with the thrusts of his fingers. She moaned and her breathing grew more and more shallow as he sped up his movement on her bringing her closer and closer to her release. Feeling even more devious than before he pulled his hand away from her making her give him a look from over her shoulder and sat them both up. He moved his hands to her shirt lifting it up over her head and tossed it to the floor then reached for her bra but she had already turned towards him and was reaching for his shirt too. He looked at her up and down noticing her bra fit more snugly than it normally did...."Whoa..."

"What?" She asked.

"That's what I call a wonderbra..." He quipped making her laugh.

"It's not actually..." She replied making his eyebrows arch in smug surprise. She rolled her eyes and lifted his shirt off of him as they both got up on their knees busying themselves with ridding them of the rest of their clothing. They stood by the edge of the sofa kicking off their jeans and underwear. He pulled her arms around him and pushed him onto the couch climbing onto his lap sinking herself down on to him. She rolled her hips against his making him moan and grip her hips pulling her roughly against him silently begging for more. She grinned and wrapped her arms around his neck as she increased her pace slightly and became a little rougher. He watched her face as they grinded against each other, grinning at her as she smiled back and leaned into his mouth kissing him deeply their tongues dueling for supremacy in their passionate embrace.

Nick began moving his hips against hers keeping one hand on her back running his fingers along her spine and the other brushed hair off her shoulder and tangled his hand into it and kept it at the base of her skull and neck as they deepened their kisses mores than before. He broke the kiss hearing her moans of satisfaction grow louder with ever thrust. He kissed along her neck just to further push her closer to the edge feeling already almost there himself. Feeling the white hot tension in her stomach beginning to spread throughout her body Alyssa strained against him digging her hands into his shoulders both of their cries becoming faster and much more strangled. With just a few more thrusts Alyssa's body froze mid-thrust, shaking as her release hit her full force. Nick moved his mouth back to hers and twisted them to lay on the couch putting her beneath him as he continued to move on her bringing his own release onto himself shuddering and moaning into her mouth.

He slowed his movements and broke the kiss seeing her eyes closed and a content grin wash over her face. "Good?"

She smiled wider and let her eyes drift open. "Better..." She replied wrapping her hands around his neck and bringing him back down for another kiss.

That night...

Nick dished up the plates with chicken and potatoes that he'd decided to make for the evening. He heard Alyssa pad into the room a few moments later still wearing his tee-shirt from earlier and a pair of shorts, her hair wet from the shower she'd just finished. "Aww honey you made dinner." She said with a grin. She sniffed the air and got a look on her face. "Is something burning?" She asked wondering what the smell could be.

"Gee thanks Liss, insult my cooking ability all you want but remember you're the one who taught me how to cook..."

"No not the food, I smell something burning. Check the stove." She requested, he turned off the gas burner and looked down into the burner seeing a small charred piece of food. He grabbed the tongs and pulled it out of the burner.

"Was this it?" He asked and she came over looking at it.

"See I told you something was burning!" She quipped back making him give her a look his brow furrowed in thought. He left it go for the moment and handed her, her plate and followed her out to the patio where they decided to eat for the evening. They talked some about things they had planned for the next day and possibly for when they got back on the road in a few weeks. He watched her eat, rather ravenously. "Mmm this is fantastic lover..."

He grinned and shrugged, "I try...you want more? You seem pretty hungry." He said as they finished their dinners.

She leaned back on the chair and rubbed her stomach. "No I think I'm good." She replied then thought again. "However I could really go for some ice cream, or ooo pistachio gelato I've been craving that for weeks."

Nick stood up taking their plates to the kitchen. "I could run to the store if you want?" He asked knowing that some good ice cream would definitely make the night even better.

"Are you sure?"

"Yeah, I'll go..." He said grabbing his wallet and keys and pressing his lips to hers. She smiled into the kiss and watched as he left to go to the store. The entire way into town Nick drove his car, very deep in thought feeling a very déjà vu feeling wash over him. "She couldn't be could she?" He asked himself aloud glancing at his reflection in the rearview mirror. The thoughts didn't escape him once he arrived at the supermarket and began walking around picking out some of her favorite gelato made in Italy. He thought of all the little clues, soreness, the ‘it's not a wonderbra' rack, she was certainly even more frisky than usual and her emotions made the weather seem like a piece of cake to predict. Before long he found himself in the pharmacy looking at the line of boxes in front of him. He grabbed one figuring it could give them a pretty accurate idea of what they might be.

He went to the counter grabbing a bottle of water as well and a few magazines to read. The check out cashier smirked as she saw his choice in magazines, the water, the pink and blue box and the ice cream. Nick shrugged and smiled paying for the items. "The wife..." He muttered lowly trying to keep as low key a profile as he possibly could.

She smiled at him and nodded as she handed him the bag. He rushed his way out of there and made his way back home to see Alyssa standing in the kitchen drinking a steaming mug of tea. He walked in kissing her temple and handed her the ice cream. She grinned and put it away for the moment and then turned around seeing Nick holding out the box. She stopped and looked at him seeing the pregnancy test in his hand. "What is that for?" She asked already knowing the answer.

"Trust me...." He said putting it into her hand.

She took it from him and the bottle of water chuckling at the boy scout nature to his action, "Always be prepared right?" He shrugged and followed her up the stairs sitting on the bed as she disappeared into the bathroom closing the door behind her. She emerged a minute later and sat next to him. "It takes 90 seconds, I set my watch." She said quietly.

He took her hand in his lacing their fingers and bounced his legs nervously on the floor. Alyssa broke her hands away from his and placed them on his knees steadying them for the moment. He looked at her for a long moment the levity between them only being broken when the beeping sound of her watch went off. Alyssa took a breath and walked into the bathroom looking at the test. She turned and leaned on the door with the little plastic stick in her hands and looked over at Nick seeing his expectant expression. "How'd you know?" She asked grinning like an idiot at him.

His eyes widened and he stood going over to her looking at the test seeing a positive reading. "Holy shit I was right?"

"Apparently...I'm pregnant..." She said softly her hands dropping the test and going to her stomach in silent amazement, Nick's joining hers as well as he leaned in and kissed her fiercely.


Chapter End Notes:
hope you all enjoyed! as always r&r!