- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Thank you all for keeping up with Jack and all your reviews. I'm sorry I haven't responded lately...I've been a little on the stressed and busy side with my kids. But, please know that I appreciate them very much. Than you once again.

It’s a little past midnight, and it’s my turn to watch the house. I guess, it’s a good thing, since I wouldn’t be able to sleep anyways. So much shit has happened in the past twenty four hours and some, I still can’t believe. I have a real name, which I’m not letting anyone call me…till it really sinks in. My family was killed…and I’m not sure how or why. I stare at the chaos of squares of hay. Now that I think about it, the place hasn’t been worked on for a couple of days.

Who gives a fuck? I pick up a haystack and fling it to the opposite corner, I watch as it crashes against the barn wall. You know, something else is really biting at me right now. It’s that blonde fucker, the nerve of that asshole, I can fucking swear he does it all on purpose. “God damn it!” I rage, throwing another block of hay.

I’m so fucking mad right now, so mad, that I could just snap his damn neck! Then again, why the hell am I even so damn mad? If the kid wants to fawn all over him, then by all means. Right? I mean, it’s not like I have a right over her, cause I sure as hell don’t. So, I’ve kissed her…it doesn’t give me…you know fuck this. She’s just some stupid annoying, blabber mouth kid. I fling another block into the air, and another one. “Oh who the fuck am I kidding? That damn kid is, seriously fucking with my emotions. What‘s pathetic and disturbing is that I let…no, I‘m letting this shit happen to me. She’s like a god damn disease, that infects you and your pretty much fucked, till it leaves your system, if it ever does. Never before have I been jealous…JEALOUS…what the hell does that even mean? I’ve fought and killed for the obvious reasons, of it being my job or to defend my ass, but never over a woman. Yet, I swear that if it was possible, I’d go suffocate him with a pillow, no…snap his neck, that’s quick and fast.

I’m not sure how many times I repeat the lift and fling thing, but I am out of breath. That doesn’t stop me though, I put all my strength into tossing those blocks across the room. It's really helping me control my anger, but not my thoughts. Damn, I’ve killed about six to seven people in the span of two weeks, that’s a record. What blows, is that I don't get paid for most of them. Now that I think about it, that Howie guy’s body is waiting for me outside. The kid made me drag him out before my breakdown this morning. Oh fuck, I broke down, that's the most pitiful thing, I’ve ever done. Hell, everything I do lately is pitiful.

I turn to look at the dead man‘s body, at the entrance of the barn. Now that’s pitiful, how sloppy I've become…just, leaving the body in plain view. Shooting up hospitals. I let out a sigh of annoyance, as I approach the body, and kneel down next to it. I might as well check the fucker’s pockets, who knows what I might find. I reach into a pocket, then stop, as I hear footsteps near the barn. I immediately stand up, drawing and pointing my gun in the direction of the noise. Maybe, it’s that blonde fuck…then I can have an excuse to put one between his eyes. I can always tell the kid, he snuck up on me.

I narrow my eyes, trying to make out the figure, that is definitely too short to be Nick. I swear if its Tom… “JACK! Will you stop pointing that thing at me, so much! I’m starting to think you might use it on me.” I drop my gun to my side, as I hear her voice. My gaze drops to the ground for a second, then I look back up at her. I can’t help, but look her over, she’s wearing those damn, skimpy shorts, with a little tank top…and it doesn’t leave much to my imagination, either. Is she trying to drive me crazy? Yeah…she is, I can see it in her eyes.

“Sorry Crys…“ Why the fuck do I keep apologizing, to her? I’ve definitely lost my mind. No, she’s taken over my mind…I thought I had it back, but I was wrong.

I turn around, and head into the barn. Stuffing my gun back into its spot, I let out a sigh, as she follows me in “You know…I’m not sure how I feel about a dead guy in the entrance of the barn Jack.” she starts to yap, I think we should be in danger all the time, cause she seems to go mute then. “Wow, Jack, You moved all the hay! Thank you, so much! We were so behind. It would have taken me forever to get that done.” I’m not looking at her, but I can already see her smile.

I hadn‘t even noticed that I put it away in some type of order. I guess my anger, was useful, for once. The corners of my lips, begin to curl into a smile, just with the thought that I’ve made her happy. Then I realize what the hell I’m doing. Psh…I never get a thrill out of making anyone, but myself happy, damn it!

“Yeah well…” I shrug, then rest my hands on a block of hay and lower my head again. I can feel my body start to give out on me.

Suddenly I feel, her arms slide around my waist, from behind. The warmth of her body against mine, makes me stiffen quickly. “Are you ok, Jack? I know it‘s been a very long and informative day. You‘ve been…a little off.” her voice is soft, and caring as she leans her head against my back. Damn, that hot rush catches me off guard, every damn time.

“I’m fine…” that’s about all I can respond, without being a dick. I mean, what does she think, that I’m having a fucking party in my mind cause I found out so much shit and we were almost killed about three times in one fucking day.

“Well…you can always talk to me Jack.” her arms tighten around me, I close my eyes taking in the feeling. “I know something is up, I mean…besides what happened with your family. You seem really…um…angry!”

Oh, now she thinks she knows me. Ok, maybe she’s right about being angry. I wiggle out of her grip and turn to face her “Listen…just forget about it. Alright?“ I furrow my brows, and look her straight in the eyes. Her brows raise, and she crosses her arms over her chest. Ha…she expects me to crack…to break down AGAIN! Well fuck that. I’m not doing it again, especially when it’s just my jealousy that has me in a rage.

“Um…well I’m glad that poor Nick fell asleep on the couch. He was kinda embarrassed cause I had to…well…look at his ass.” she giggles.

Yeah, that’s really cute. Here I am unaware that I’m busting my fucking ass, doing the lovebirds work…while they are inside playing fucking doctor. I’m not going to say anything though. I cross my arms and lean against the hay…ok I have to say it. “He’s a grown ass motherfucker, you would think he can clean his own ass…” I snap.

She looks up at me, startled at my outburst, her smile wipes off instantly “Well, I did the same for you when you were wounded. What’s the difference…” she glares at me.

“I didn’t shoot my ass…that’s the difference. It’s not enough that he was all manfuckinghandling you while you were in danger today, but you have to clean up his ass too.”

Her eyes narrow and she points a finger at me “Oh don’t pull that stupid jealous card on me now, Jack. Every time I come close to you or I try to be affectionate, you push me away…” her eyes were tearing up and her words were cutting off. “You know…I don’t understand you. One minute your so…so…caring and the next you’re the biggest ASSHOLE!”

"I don't want you to understand me...haven't I made that clear enough CRYSTAL" Ok, so I'm shouting, but I can't help it. "You know what....just go back inside and play doctor...with that blonde fucker." my breathing has elevated and I can feel my mouth pursed in anger.

"NO! You have a lot to explain to me...GOD DAMN IT JACK!! There are people trying to kill me...and I want to know why. Because, obviously they are the same ones...after you. What have I done?" The tears are now streaming down her face.

I hate when she does that, my heart literally beats double time and I feel a gut wrenching sense of guilt. What am I supposed to say? I don't have an answer...I mean, I know why they want to kill me. I think. I'm not even sure it's for the reasons I'm thinking. As for her, I have...not the slightest idea, why.

I shake my head, "I don't know Crys."

She charges at me and let's me have one, on the arm "You LIAR! I'm not a damn child, Jack. Just tell me...Why?..." she keeps hitting me and I'm letting her, just because I can imagine her frustration. She's just a kid, after all.

Once she tires herself with beating me, she takes a step back and wipes the tears with the back of her hand "Jack...are you really a spy? Why did you come to Greenville?"

Son of a bitch! How am I supposed to get myself out of this one? She's really aggravating me right about now. I should just leave, that would be the best thing. If they want to kill her, they will with or without me around. "Your asking to many damn questions, that you know I'm not going to answer." I try making way past her.

She puts a hand flat on my chest "You can't just...walk away from me...not, without telling me something." she lets out another sob, as her hand clutches at my shirt. "Jack, I'm so scared...I've tried to be strong and...act like...nothing...just so that I don't make you angry. Bu...but I can't anymore...I've seen you kill two people, without any remorse. There are really bad people out there...who want to kill us...and your acting like nothing. I'M TERRIFIED!"

I don't have her answers, at least not all of them. So, all I can do to comfort her is pull her into me and wrap my arms around her. "It's alright Crys..." I feel her arms hesitantly wrap around me, and her cries are muffled by my chest. "I promise I'm not going to let anyone hurt you..." All of a sudden I hear a noise outside. My eyes dart to the barn door, as I pull away from her and push her behind me.

"What is it?" she whispers, her voice full of fear, as she clings on to my sides.

"I heard footsteps..." I draw my gun again, pointing it at the door, I start to move forward. My heart is racing, there isn't much of an escape in this big box. I swallow hard, as I near the door and hear the sound of leaves being crushed by footsteps approaching us.

Just then out of the darkness, walks into view...blondie, he let's out girlie scream, as he trips over the dead body, and stumbles into the barn, right into my aimed gun. His arms fly up into the air, like he's being held up and his blanket falls to the ground, next to the dead man. I can't help, but burst into a frenzy of laughter. "You scream like a bitch!" I snicker. The kid walks out from behind me, of course, not without letting me have an elbow in the ribs "Ow, what was that for?"

She scowls at me "For being an ass! Are you alright Nick?"

There she goes again, putting her hands on him. Can't she talk without touching? So he tripped over a dead body, like he's the fucking first. You know, I'm going to make him help me get rid of it. That's what he gets for coming out here to snoop around.

"Yeah...sure....I mean...I tripped over a..." he turns to look at the lifeless guy, and takes a deep breath "Dead Howie...who I worked with...and then I got a gun aimed at my head!!!!" he turns to look at me. I can't help to smirk again, his voice is so high pitched when scared or in danger. It's so fucking amusing. "How long have you been out here?" he looks at Crystal and then me.

I'm guessing he's being nosy. "I've been here for the past hour...Why?" I cock my head and give him a glare.

"Um...I've been here for about twenty minutes..." Crystal pipes.

His face goes serious, as he looks at us and then back at the house "I just heard someone in the kitchen...so I thought it was you coming out here. That's why I came to see. I thought you might need..."

"Need what??" That wasn't suppsed to be said outloud. This guy is something else, I'm not even going to worry about it right now. It sounds like we have OTHER things to worry about, besides this fucking jealousy that brews inside of me, whenever he's around her. "Ok I'm gonna go check it out..." I start for the house.

"No, don't leave us here. We don't even have a weapon or anything. Please." She grabs my arm.

With a roll of my eyes I give into her request. We all slowly make way into the house, my gun once again drawn and ready to shoot. I check everything, while the kid and Nick lock windows and doors...as we confirm no one is there. Once the whole house is checked we find ourselves in the middle of the hall.

"Alright house is clear...I'm going to bed." I yawn, hell I'm exhausted and all I want is to make sure that she goes to her own room and he goes to his. I stand waiting on them, but they have horrified looks on their faces. "What?"

"Uh...I can't sleep alone tonight. I just can't." Crystal nods.

Nick quickly, puts an arm over her shoulder and gives her a squeeze "Come on kiddo, you can stay with me."

Who the fuck does he think he is? There is no way I'm letting them sleep in the same room, let alone bed. I clear my throat, inhale and curse under my breath, at what I'm about to say "How about we all sleep in one room?" The twosome look at me surprised.

Hell if I could look at myself, I'd be surprised too!

Chapter End Notes:
Thank you Kris!!