- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Thanks for following this story everyone! I hope you like this update! Please review!
Chapter 22

As Nick walked up the steps of Amanda's house he was hoping she would talk to him. He had just gotten done with yet another day of court. He was in the middle of a big case and it had been wearing down on him since Thanksgiving. Nick knew he had been a jerk at rehearsal the day before and wanted to make amends, so he decided after court to visit Amanda and explain everything. Sighing deeply as he rang her doorbell, Nick waited patiently for her to answer. When Amanda came to the door she was suprised to find Nick standing there wearing a suit and tie.
"Amanda, can I talk to you?" he asked tentatively. Amanda was a bit unsure but let him into the house. Lance was not home, he was at work so they would not be bothered. The two of them sat down on the couch and Nick sighed before speaking.
"Nice suit, Nick..." Amanda commented. He was very well dressed and his hair was slicked back with hair gel. Nick loosened his tie and continued.
"Look, I am sorry for the way I acted yesterday." he said. Amanda looked down for a moment, and knew where this conversation was going. She had been wanting to talk to Nick about his attitude lately and now was her chance.
"Nick...there is no excuse for your attitude. If you keep this up there are going to be some changes around here." she said sternly. Nick's face paled and his breathing grew faster.
"Wha-what do you mean?" he stuttered.
"If your demeanor doesn't change I will have to look for another performer."
"No...please!" Nick begged, his eyes shining.
"I'm sorry, but you have been coming in grumpy every day and I can't let this continue. If you and Katie are having problems-" Amanda started but Nick interrupted her.
"This has nothing to do with Katie!!" he shouted in frustration. Nick really wanted to pull his own hair out....he didn't need to get fired on top of everything else that was happening to him already.
"What is your problem then, Nick?" Amanda asked, her brown eyes annoyed.
"Amanda....please. I am going through a lot right now. I am sorry if I have been moody or irritable, but its because I may lose my brother." Nick explained finally. Amanda's expresssion softened and she looked at him with concern.
"Really? Why?" she asked. Nick wiped his eyes.
"I am in the middle of a custody battle for Aaron." he replied, sighing deeply.
"Wow, Nick. I am sorry. I had no idea."
"I can't lose him....he is all the family I have. I promised him he wouldn't go back to her..."
"Why would you lose Aaron?" Amanda asked.
"Because of my mother. She is trying to say because of my career I am not going to provide a stable environment for my brother."
"Why don't you take AJ to court with you? He can help prove you are able to take care of your brother." Amanda suggested. Nick was scared to death about this court trial, as of the moment it was not looking good at all.
"My lawyer is saying right now my chances are not good and I may lose the case. So I am sorry if I been cranky lately."
"Nick, I think maybe you need to take a break and stop performing for a while until this is all over. You need to focus on your family."
"Oh, thank you!" Nick said, hugging her. His thoughts drifted to the club and his gig.
"Don't worry, you will still have your job. But I wish you had told me sooner about this." Amanda promised. She never understood why Nick liked to keep things like that private.....he hadn't even told Brian about the court trials.
"I will find someone to take over okay?" Nick promised. He watched Celine for Amanda and then called in a favor to JC Chasez. JC was an old friend of Nick's from when he started his career and toured with him in Germany. Amanda was thrilled to have him perform for her club and was a big fan of his. After he got everything worked out with Amanda, she went to pick up her daughter at Nick's house. He looked very tired and had a towel over his shoulder, and the baby in his arms.
"You okay?" Amanda giggled. It was the first time Nick had watched his daughter on his own.
"Yeah.....I have learned that babies do not have an off button." he grinned as Amanda laughed.
"Isn't as easy as it looks," Amanda chuckled. Nick handed Celine over but didn't want her to go. He really did love his daughter...he didn't see her much and when he had to say goodbye his heart broke. Nick kissed his daughter on the forehead and stroked her hair.
"So I take it she didn't give you too much trouble?"
"Not really.....thanks again for being so understanding about the trial. It should be done by Christmas." Nick said. Amanda hoped everything would work out. She had seen Nick grow attatched to his little brother and knew it would kill him if he lost him to his mother. Amanda had been there for Nick when he was abused as a child. Nick would come to school with welts on his arms and bruises on his neck. She knew Nick would never let Aaron go through that again, and hoped everything would work out....her own life included.