- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Sorry for the delay in updating. This chapter was tricky to write. So I hope you all like my first post of 2010 and Happy New Year!!
Chapter 27

The Ghost Bar in the Palms Hotel of Las Vegas was full, packed of people celebrating New Year's Eve. They were all happy to be there, dancing the night away. Nick sat in the middle of this, looking at his half empty glass of champagne and sighing. He looked at his cell phone in his hand, the clock reading 11pm. He stared at the number on the screen and was about to hit send when he heard the sound of heels clicking behind him. Nick's gaze shifted to the blonde woman before him. She was dressed tastefully for once, wearing a glittery black dress and tasteful makeup. Her hair hung down over her shoulders and she smiled at him as she sipped at her cosmopolitan. Nick was impressed that Katie had left the trashy clothes at their hotel room, but was kicking himself for how he was feeling.

"I brought you a drink, baby." Katie said as she handed him a Coke. Nick looked at her skeptically because he had already been sitting at the bar, but took the drink anyway. He took a large gulp and coughed. It definitely had alcohol in it, most likely rum by the taste of it. Nick licked his lips and continued drinking. A few drinks later, Nick was completely wasted and falling over himself. Nick was not usually one to go overboard drinking but Katie had laced his drinks with drugs. So they stumbled back to the hotel room where Nick was giggling hysterically.

"Sweetheart, do you love me?" she asked, stroking his hair. Nick hiccuped before he spoke, his breath strong with alcohol.

"I loove you." he replied with a grin plastered on his face.

"How much?" she asked, as they kissed. She was suprised that he was more affectionate with her when he was drunk. His hands were wandering, pawing at her and trying to undress her.

"Ohhh I got an idea! Let's get married." he said suddenly. Katie's smile went wider as Nick played right into her plan, a plan she had formed at Christmas.

"Are you sure, baby?" Katie said, although she knew he would keep going. Nick kissed her again.

"Yeah, it's New Year's! What could be better?" Nick explained, his voice slurred.

"Let's go now!" she said, and the two of them went to a chapel nearby. It was the classic Vegas wedding, with an Elvis impersonator presiding over it. After that Nick and Katie partied til nearly 5 in the morning before falling asleep in their hotel room. A few hours later, Nick awoke to the worst pain he had ever felt. His whole body was sore, his stomach queasy and head throbbing.

"What the fucking hell?" he groaned, blinking because the lights made him dizzy.

"Morning, baby." Katie said, her head laying on his chest. Nick moaned softly, feeling sick to his stomach.

"Why do I feel like total shit?"

"Maybe you drank too much last night," Katie whispered thoughtfully.

"How can that be? I only had one glass of champagne!" Nick told her, raising his hand to rub his forehead. A gold ring was on his finger, glinting in the morning light. He looked at it curiously....he couldn't remember wearing it before. Sitting up in the bed, he stared at his hand in disbelief.

"Where did this come from?"

"You don't remember?" Katie asked, still pretending she didn't know anything.

"What am I supposed to be remembering?"

"Silly boy. You asked me to marry you last night." Katie responded, and Nick felt more nauseous than before. He had been planning on breaking up with Katie the night before. How did this happen, and why couldn't he remember? It had all gone horribly wrong.

"No no no. We can't be married."

"Nick, I'm your wife now. You love me, don't you?" she asked, her brown eyes narrowed as Nick panicked.

"This is a dream. I must be dreaming this." he muttered as he paced the room. He got dizzy and ran to the bathroom to vomit. He was sick almost all morning, and couldn't emember what had happened the night before. His head throbbed at the thought of Katie being his wife, wished he could go back and fix it.

"No....no...I can't be married to her." Nick whispered, sitting on the floor of the bathroom, wondering what Amanda was doing at that moment, wondering if she would be okay with him being married again. Esprically after he swore he wouldn't marry Katie....now he was stuck with her.