Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: Fanfic Favorites!  (Read 16593 times)

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
Fanfic Favorites!
« on: February 17, 2009, 09:02:32 PM »

Yay to bringing back some old discussions :)

So, what are some of your all time  favorite BSB fanfics and what made them so special to you?

What are some of the stories you have written that you are the most proud of and why?

Why do you find yourself writing about the Backstreet Boys and as your level of fandom has changed over the years, has it affected your writing of the boys?

Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Fool, said my Muse, look in thy heart and write
    • Could You Do Me Right?
Re: Fanfic Favorites!
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2009, 09:17:13 PM »

I'm so excited to be talking about fanfic again! ;D

Well, I have a lot of favorites.... I think the most recent one I've enjoyed a lot is Mare's "Why I'd Do It All Again." I felt like it really captured the Boys during that time period. And it was just hilarious! She just has this amazing way of bringing out the Boys' personalities so that they are sooo believable! I also really enjoyed Rose's "Born to Be" because her descriptions are so vividly fantastic! Ummmm.... Kelly's "Whitmore Lake" is one of my favorites too, because I'm in it... lol But she has this fantastic way with characters. Julie's "Broken" because she puts so much research into her writing that it was so believable! I felt like I'd read a real life account of cancer after only the first fifty chapters!

I still need to read something by Julilly.... Julilly, what would you recommend? :)

Stories I'm most proud of? Probably PBox, just because it's extremely epic... I never thought I could write anything that epic like... ever.

I feel like I'm falling into writing less and less about the Boys... I love writing about them, just every plot I've liked recently would work much better as original fiction... So I guess that's my problem right now. Is anyone else having that issue?
~*Dee*~

People think it would be fun to be a bird because you could fly. But they forget the negative side, which is the preening.

From "And Now, Deep Thoughts" by Jack Handey

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2009, 09:47:40 PM »

I have a pretty solid top four all-time favorite fanfics, so I'll gush about those yet again LOL.  The first is "Cover Me With Dreams" by Heidi, which is posted on the AC Archive now.  It's the best Nick romance I've ever read, and it's different from most of the other Nick romances.  It tells the story of this beautiful relationship between the two main characters over more than a decade, and tells the story of Nick's real career along the way, which is also fun.  It's told in a unique way, not quite in chronological order, and it's very well-written.  The characters are vivid and likeable, and man, I could just gush all night about it!  LOL

Second fav is "Where Can We Go From Here?" by Whitney, which is the classic, original bus crash fic.  What can I say... it's just an all-around great, group fic that focuses on the brotherly relationship between the Boys as they try to help each other through this horrific tragedy they went through together.  It'll make you cry and make you laugh and give you that ooey, gooey Bsb love feeling.

Third is "Signal to Noise" by Bobbi, my favorite suspense fic.  It's a spin on the stalker fic, and it adds a romance element too, without taking away from the main mystery/suspense storyline.  All the guys are in it about equally, although Nick kind of stands out, and the original characters in it are great too, very dynamic and unique.

Last is "Faceless" by Jaydee, which I love because it's got something for everyone - drama, angst, suspense, romance, and a subplot for every boy, although Nick gets the main one.  It's an easy read and almost fairy-taleish, which makes it just an all-around entertaining little story.

As far as my stories go, I have to mention Broken and its sequel BMS, because I put my heart and soul and lots of TIME into those stories for five years of my life.  They were my babies!  I'm proud of the effort I put into them and the results that came out.  And I love the overall story... it's the kind of story I would enjoy reading if someone else were to write it, which is why I wrote it myself.

Also, my recent collaborations ... namely "00Carter."  I can only take credit for 1/7 of it, and it wasn't my idea, but I'm very proud of the ideas and parts I've contributed to it, as well as how well all of us have worked as a team on it.  I'm not known for my original ideas or creativity, but that story really brings it out of me in ways I can't seem to spark on my own - I thank my crazy, random co-authors and a lot of Code Red Mountain Dew for that LOL.  Anyway, I think it's a great story, really different from other stuff that's out there, and FUNNY, and I'm proud to be a part of it!

I'm also enjoying how my new collab, a.k.a. "4.15.12," is turning out, and I'm really excited for what it is to come in that one, but it's still very early on in the writing process, so I guess I can't say too much else right now!

So why do I write about the Backstreet Boys?  They're my favorite music group and favorite celebrities in general.  I'm dedicated to them in a way that I'm not to many other people or things.  I enjoyed reading about them when I first got into fanfic, and quickly got addicted, and that carried over into eventually writing about them.  My fandom hasn't changed in its level of dedication over the years, just maybe in its level of teenybopper craziness.  I became a fan when I was like 13, and now I'm 23, so it's a little different now LOL, but I'm still as much of a fan as I ever was.  As far as my writing goes, I'm a lot better at it than I used to be, and I'm still as into it as I ever was; I just don't have time to do it as much as I did these days, so I don't update as often anymore.  I would like to branch out into original fiction at some point, but for now, I'm really happy writing Bsb fics.  I've been writing more AUs lately, which feels like a bridge between fanfic and original fic, so we'll see.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2009, 10:30:41 PM »

I still need to read something by Julilly.... Julilly, what would you recommend? :)

It depends on whether you enjoy reading things with conclusions
~Maple Jellybean~

What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? ... I don't know, and I don't care.

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2009, 10:34:10 PM »

It depends on whether you enjoy reading things with conclusions

Nope, I'm pretty patient in waiting for conclusions. :) I know it how hard it can be to get updates out. lol
~*Dee*~

People think it would be fun to be a bird because you could fly. But they forget the negative side, which is the preening.

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2009, 10:40:46 PM »

Damn I was hoping you'd say yes so I could say I have nothing to offer you lol What I would pick and what others would pick I think are different so Hawk and a Handsaw is probably your best bet
~Maple Jellybean~

What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? ... I don't know, and I don't care.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2009, 10:42:12 PM »

Hawk and a Handsaw rocks!  You would like it, Dee.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

honey

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Being Jamie Baker Website
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2009, 10:48:19 PM »

Why? Which would you pick julilly?
If Ryan looked at me the wrong way, I lost it. If Ryan looked at me the right way, I lost it. And whenever he tried to kiss me, something usually blew up. Someone ought to teach him a little control.

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2009, 10:53:09 PM »

Okie dokie pokey. :)
~*Dee*~

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2009, 11:03:12 PM »

Why? Which would you pick julilly?

I guess given Dee's inclination for more unusual fics H&H would be the obvious choice, but it's not my favourite.... yet lol I will fill out this little survey tomorrow when I'm not so tired
~Maple Jellybean~

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2009, 11:07:21 PM »

So, what are some of your all time  favorite BSB fanfics and what made them so special to you?

"The Legend" by Whitney, I actually adore this story. It does feature Nsync but it's incredibly easy to ignore that flaw, but it is AU. It's very fantasy-ish and very sci-fi. The ideas are original and fantastic and all around well written. I reread that story to this day.

"The Answer Is Yes" - Another fantastically written sci-fi. I'm a sci-fi addict at heart, what can I say? It's well known about me. Eboni was just fabulous period, I was sad when she left the fanfic world. I'd recommend any of her stories honestly. But The Answer Is Yes is just a well written completely undone in BSB land fanfiction where Nick is basically upducted by aliens, and goes to his long, difficult journey.

Total Kaos 24/7 - I think this was one of the first Mare stories I've read. Early work, but hilarious. It's Nick's POV recalling the very early days on their road to stardom, and all the amusing troubles they had to do to get there. Written in older Nick and younger Nick's POV I'd still recommend it.

And then there's Finding Brotherhood by Mersey. This story, wow, I can't describe it. But it's basically the journey the boys have to take to find themselves and their realationships again. Weak description but trust me, the story is brilliant.

Here let me just give you the direct link. It's a must read.
http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/mersey/fb.html

What are some of the stories you have written that you are the most proud of and why?

00Carter, who knew such a random thought I had would turn into such a great collab? I mean seriously, it took a life of it's own and it's original, funny, and I adore writing it with my coauthors and am extremely proud of the idea and story.

Born To Be - This story is my current solo baby. I haven't updated it in a bit, but I mean to. I just feel it's one of my better works, the imagery, the idea, and just the way I've gone about writing it. I love that story. It's my favorite to write out of all my solo stories right now.

Just Another Day - Simply because I realized I'm capable of producing a finished fluffy romance in 1st person lmao. I never thought I could and that story was a oh what the hell idea, and I went with it for the challenge I felt came with it. Who knew it'd work? lol. Not my best writing, but it's the fact I did it better than I ever thought I would.

Why do you find yourself writing about the Backstreet Boys and as your level of fandom has changed over the years, has it affected your writing of the boys?

Because fanfiction is a great way to grow in writing. That and Nick makes a fabulous story character. Him and AJ. My fandom's affected my writing by the fact my writing has grown beyond teenydom thank god lol. I feel I've grown as a writer, and also as a fan. I don't obsess anymore. And I think it shows in my writing as well.

Oh and *squishy hugs Dee for her love of BTB*

I love H&H Julilly, but I still say Shadow Counsul if you ever updated it has the potential to be a far better story  ;D
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2009, 11:09:29 PM »

I also forgot Marina's "Yesterday's Blue Skies," that one is freaking amazing, even though it hasn't been updated in years!
~*Dee*~

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2009, 11:10:18 PM »

I also forgot Marina's "Yesterday's Blue Skies," that one is freaking amazing, even though it hasn't been updated in years!

I know! *uber pouts*
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2009, 11:13:42 PM »

Which should prove to Julilly that I don't mind waiting for updates. lol
~*Dee*~

honey

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Being Jamie Baker Website
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2009, 02:20:02 AM »

I guess given Dee's inclination for more unusual fics H&H would be the obvious choice, but it's not my favourite.... yet lol I will fill out this little survey tomorrow when I'm not so tired

hello. that still doesn't tell me what your favorite would be???
If Ryan looked at me the wrong way, I lost it. If Ryan looked at me the right way, I lost it. And whenever he tried to kiss me, something usually blew up. Someone ought to teach him a little control.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6