Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 33

Author Topic: Question of the Day Part 5  (Read 87561 times)

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
Re: Question of the Day Part 5
« Reply #285 on: August 02, 2012, 06:26:02 PM »

00Carter is one of those stories I'd seen on most recent a lot, never clicked on it because I wasn't sure...but one day I just went "what could be bad about a story where Nick's a secret agent?"

I'm so glad I decided to read it because its one of my favorites. I adore that story! It's hilarious and has some serious moments, but I laugh so hard at a lot of the jokes. I really enjoy it!

Aww thanks Tracy! I feel like that story for me is an example of writing because you love it not cause others love it LOL. Cause I think we laugh at it more than most people do lol. I'm definitely glad you enjoy it.

Aww, thanks, Tracy!  To be honest, it's probably not a story I would ever click on either LOL; I wasn't even sure about writing it when Rose originally suggested it, but I'm glad I did.  It's not for everyone, but I love it.  I'm glad you gave it a try and found it worth reading!  We just started working on the next episode, so hopefully we'll have some updates before too long.

I have this tendency of talking you into new stories :P LMAO. Cause if I remember right you protested Undead at first too.  :D
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #286 on: August 02, 2012, 06:29:23 PM »

how about this: When did everyone get started in fanfic? Were you more of a writer or a reader, and how much has that changed since then?

I got started at 13, I was young LOL. I found it through some fan site which eventually led me to fanfiction.net . I was more of a writer cause I already wrote a lot in my free time, just original fiction back then. (Which I have somewhere and is painfully bad I'm sure LOL). Once I discovered fanfiction I started using my ideas for the Boys, which is why a lot of my early fics were AU. They were literally just substituted in for my OCs lol.

I feel like I've changed a lot since then. I don't collaborate with everyone I talk to anymore, and I don't want to. My stories are usually NOT AU that often these days lol. I write the Boys as accurately as I can and research everything to hell when back then I didn't bother. I'm still more of a writer than a reader but I read a lot less than I used to. I've gotten pickier :P.

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #287 on: August 02, 2012, 06:39:49 PM »

Oh yeah it was 2001. I remember I think I was still in high school when they banned RP fics. I was heartbroken. I took a break from fanfic and BSB until 2009 when I saw Nick in People magazine. As soon as I saw him, everything came back. It was as if I'd never stopped lol

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #288 on: August 02, 2012, 06:44:43 PM »

So I was right for once, go me! lol
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #289 on: August 02, 2012, 09:28:55 PM »

I got started into fanfic when I was 13 by clicking on a "stories" section of a BSB fansite. I thought it was fan encounters but it turned out to be fictional stories about the boys. I read some of them and then decided I could write my own, as I had always been something of a storyteller. (My friends and I always used to make up ridiculous stories and BSB just got inserted into them as we became fans of them) Of course it was horrid and a self-insert and it wasn't even split out by chapter. I just kept adding onto the end of the document. I emailed the girl of the first site I'd found to ask her if she would host me, and she did (even though she told me I would have to split it into chapters first for easier updating, lol)

Eventually I made my own site, then I posted on FF.net. When they removed RPF stories off of FF.net I stopped writing in that fandom and focused more on writing Gundam Wing fanfic when I was in High School. I kept up reading a few BSB stories (like Oreos) but didn't really write my own. When Unbreakable came out I decided to try writing again, found AC and the rest is history, as they say lol.
~Saka ♥

"Write a lot. Write something you’re scared to write. That’s the best advice I can give: If you have an idea, and you can’t stop thinking about it, but something about it scares you half to death—WRITE THAT."
- Rainbow Rowell

Purpura Lipstick

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #290 on: August 02, 2012, 10:01:10 PM »

I actually got started writing fanfic first.  Carried around a notebook in high school that my friend and I would write parts (I wasn't allowed to write scenes with me and vice versa) it was fun so when I started CYDMR my friend convinced me to give writng an actual fanfic by myself.  I did and I knew there were other writers out there, I didn't read much fanfic until I started my awards turned review site. 

- Purpura -
   -Lore-

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #291 on: August 03, 2012, 12:50:24 AM »

Yes, Brian is hotter than Mark.  Hmm, for Jordan what about Zachary Quinto?

I could see that.  Poor Sylar with bot flies in his brain LOL.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #292 on: August 03, 2012, 12:59:51 AM »

how about this: When did everyone get started in fanfic? Were you more of a writer or a reader, and how much has that changed since then?

I discovered fanfic during the summer of 1999.  I'd been a fan since early 1998, but the Millennium era was when I really got obsessed and started looking BSB up on the internet and stuff, and that's when I stumbled onto my first fanfic.  I read a ton of it that summer; I couldn't get enough.

I originally couldn't see myself writing it at all, but that changed when I got an idea for a story and gave it a shot, sometime over that winter of 99/00.  I started one story that I never finished, but then later rewrote from scratch and posted (Years of Grace), but the first story that I finished (Heartache) I got hosted on a site in I think February of 2000... and by the end of April, I had started my site and was writing a chapter a day and a novel a month LOL.  Back then, I read and wrote in equal amounts - a LOT of both!!  We still had dial-up internet, and my mom was always on my case about tying up the phone line, so I did a lot of copying and pasting of stories into Word to save and take back to my own computer to read offline.

Nowadays I'm probably more of a writer than a reader.  I do still enjoy reading fanfics, but I mostly just follow a select few in-progress fics and read the updates on them when they're posted.  I don't find myself seeking them out as often as I used to.  If I scroll past a summary on the Most Recent page that catches my eye, I'll check it out, but I don't find myself actively searching for new stories to read.  I think about writing a lot, though, and try to do at least a little every day (or every weekend, during the school year).
~Julie

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #293 on: August 03, 2012, 01:02:41 AM »

I don't read comedies that often. Not that I don't like them, it's just not many people write them and write them well for that matter. I'm really picky with them LOL. A lot of the ones I like are old school, like Mig Witch Project LOL. (I'm sure Julie has the link for that somewhere).

Mig Witch Project!  http://www.angelfire.com/bc/BackstreetComedy/Blair.html

People who have not read this story before are probably going to think it's very stupid, but I was literally ROTFLMAO reading this story the first time I came across it (back in about 2000, from the days when Blair Witch Project parodies were still relevent LOL - it's an oldie!!), and it still amuses me.  It's one of those humor stories that definitely makes fun of the Boys a lot.
~Julie

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #294 on: August 03, 2012, 01:03:59 AM »

I have this tendency of talking you into new stories :P LMAO. Cause if I remember right you protested Undead at first too.  :D

I didn't protest; I just thought we were joking until I realized we weren't LOL.  But I love how we can take a joke and turn it into an actual story!
~Julie

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #295 on: August 03, 2012, 01:06:05 AM »

I didn't protest; I just thought we were joking until I realized we weren't LOL.  But I love how we can take a joke and turn it into an actual story!

LOL oh that's right.  Hey, it's a gift!

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #296 on: August 03, 2012, 04:04:32 AM »

I could see that.  Poor Sylar with bot flies in his brain LOL.

LOL, Sylar was a character I loved in Heroes, even though he was the bad guy :)

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #297 on: August 03, 2012, 04:22:49 AM »

I didn't know what fanfic was until 2007 (shocking!).  I joined a Take That site and noticed a stories section.  Before clicking on it, I thought it was fan encounters and so was surprised when I began reading one, which turned out to be a romance story where she'd met Gary Barlow in a posh hotel and had a fling.  It was only as I got more into the story that I realised it was fiction.  How naive was I!

So after reading that story and a load of others, I decided to have a go at my own.  It was crap and I'm glad that site has been deleted so that no one can see how crap some of my stuff was. 

When BSB released Unbreakable, I couldn't get enough of them and decided to have a go at a BSB story (Forces of Nature was my first BSB story and yes, it's a self-insert and very predictable lol).  Me and my friend had a site (now deleted) where we posted stories about whoever we wanted, and we also had different sections for talking about whatever we wanted (usually hot men).  A girl joined the site and said to check out Absolute Chaos for lots of really good BSB fanfic.  So I did and am so glad :)

I was more of a reader when I first got into fanfics, then seemed to balance it out between reading and writing.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #298 on: August 03, 2012, 06:06:37 AM »

LOL, Sylar was a character I loved in Heroes, even though he was the bad guy :)

Me too!  I like when he showed his soft side LOL.
~Julie

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #299 on: August 03, 2012, 08:55:08 AM »

I actually got started writing fanfic first.  Carried around a notebook in high school that my friend and I would write parts (I wasn't allowed to write scenes with me and vice versa) it was fun so when I started CYDMR my friend convinced me to give writng an actual fanfic by myself.  I did and I knew there were other writers out there, I didn't read much fanfic until I started my awards turned review site. 

That actually sounds really fun, not being allowed to write the scenes with yourself in them! Back when I wrote exclusively self inserts, my friends would sometimes get upset with the situations I put them in, lol. But of course, Nick and Steph always got their happy ending, lmao.
~Saka ♥

"Write a lot. Write something you’re scared to write. That’s the best advice I can give: If you have an idea, and you can’t stop thinking about it, but something about it scares you half to death—WRITE THAT."
- Rainbow Rowell
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 33