Fic Talk > I Challenge You....

Let the 2013 Summer Reading Challenge begin!

<< < (32/44) > >>

RokofAges75:
^ I think those are both good suggestions.  I felt bad because I wasn't able to give Cinzia anywhere near the amount of feedback she gave me, since I read a one-shot of hers, while she read a novel of mine.  Requiring them all to be "chapter books" would make it more balanced.  And I think having them be complete or near completion is a good idea, too; it just makes it easier to give feedback on the overall story when you know how it ends.

mare:
Yes, or for people who maybe write a lot of one shots and don't have a ton of novels written, they could submit at least five one shots as a novel or something. This way it is more balanced and fair for everyone.

RokofAges75:
That's a good idea.

mare:
Happy Saturday! :)

I wanted to say congrats to Steph for finishing her challenge this week and an extra kudos because she took on a third story and STILL finished way before the deadline! You are awesome!! Ten gold stars for you! :)

Everyone else, you are doing a great job so just try to keep reading. Maybe tackle one chapter a day or two a week or something like that. I does look like most of you are almost done reading which is great! Bit for those of you tat have quite a bit to go, you might want to set some kind of goal for yourself.

Happy reading!

oops! Did notice one thing, Emily make sure you complete your reader's survey for Falling in Love Again! :)

mare:
Final survey (To be completed after finishing the story you are reading)

Name of story: Forever

1) What was the biggest challenge for you when reading this story?
I knew that a story about the female lead and her band was going to be a very tough challenge for me to get through since I typically stay away from female centered fics.

2) Did you find yourself looking forward to reading as you were going along or did it feel like homework?
At first I was worried this it would feel like homework, but thankfully because Emily was such a great writer and we seemed to get along instantly just from giving and receiving feedback to one another, it became something I actually looked forward to every day. 

3) What was your favorite scene/chapter in the story?
I think my favorite moments in the story were the times that the boys were the center of attention. For instance the last chapter Emily posted had a lot of great scenes in it where the boys and some of the girls are all hiding in one room while Carson is in the kitchen cooking an egg. LOL I know it sounds silly but I guess you'll have to read the story to find out what that's all about!

4) Was your favorite character at the halfway point still your favorite at the end?
I think it might have changed from Kevin to Howie. As we got further into the story, Howie's role changed and I love how Emily portrays him. Gotta give Howie some love!

5) Who was your least favorite character and why?
Joey. Because he wasn't a BSB and when he was in the chapters, I didn't feel like I was reading a BSB fanfic and it made those chapters feel like homework.

6) If there was a sequel to this story would you be interested in reading it?
Emily isn't finished with this one yet, but I don't think she has plans for a sequel and if there was one, I most likely wouldn't read it unless Emily were to die and Kevin took over lol (Sorry Emily but hey, they would sing Back to Your Heart at the funeral if that helps?)

7) Were you happy with the ending?
I'll have to get back to you on this one! lol

8) Name the biggest surprise in the story and did you see it coming? (If there was one)
Honestly, that it wasn't a huge cliche. I went into this with very low expectations just because I have seen so many girl band meets boy band and they fall in love fics and they have all been terrible. The fact that Emily made me care about some of the characters was pretty great and made me realize that no matter the plot, as long as a great writer is at the helm, it could be pulled off!

9) What was this stories biggest strength?
Without a doubt Emily's writing! She is great with descriptions and has a natural rhythm to her writing that made it so easy to visualize everything she put into words.

10) What was it's biggest weakness?
I guess I would have to say the balance of the characters? This story has a lot of characters which is bound to happen when you have two five piece bands and while most of the emphasis is clearly on two of the members, when the others got involved, things tended to get confusing, especially since they all had such similar names. I think also trying to figure out the overall plot of the story might be a challenge if you are not a romance type person.

11) Did reading this story make you want to try another one from this author?
I would read a nice male centered BSB fic by Emily in a second! I don't think I could do another female centered unless it was for a challenge but a story about the boys as told by the boys, I'd be on board!

12) Give us one final review that sums up your experience reading this, maybe explain why you gave the kind of feedback you did or if you would have perhaps picked a different story from this one?
Like I said before, I knew nothing about Emily or how she wrote, but just judging by the subject matter, I went in not expecting much. I was so pleasantly surprised that I had to smile and I think I even let out a sigh of relief after reading the first chapter. If any of you have not read something by Emily, you need to give her a try. She's a great writer who was always willing to listen to my feedback whether it be dumb and whiny "Where are my boys!" or insightful and usually babbly. She took everything I said and always responded with how or why she went about things the way she did. I feel like not only did I get to know her as a writer but also as a person. Both of whom I think are super which is why responding to reviews is also such a vital part to this challenge or the writing process in general! 

13) Did you prefer the way we did the challenge this year or did you like the pairings better?
I had the opportunity to do it both ways this time around and I think they both have their advantages and their disadvantages. We are going to do it this way from now on.

14) Did the author respond to your feedback?
Always!

15) Any final thoughts or questions for the author?
Just wanted to let you know it was a pleasure and I hope you really do branch out one of these days and come over to the dark side. I know you have it in you! LOL

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version