Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: FS for September: Running Up That Hill by Sakabelle  (Read 8360 times)

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
FS for September: Running Up That Hill by Sakabelle
« on: September 01, 2012, 06:38:46 AM »

Hello and Happy September and Labor Day weekend for those of you from the USA!

This month Saka has decided for us to discuss Running Up That Hill but during her month, feel free to discuss anything she has written.

If you've read it or are reading it, come on in and tell us why you think this story is great! If you have any questions, i'm sure she'd be more than willing to answer them for you!

Here's the link to the story!

http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=10310&warning=4

Enjoy and Happy Reading!! :)
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
Re: FS for September: Running Up That Hill by Sakabelle
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2012, 07:58:28 AM »

It's Labour Day weekend for us in Canada too! :)

Thanks for featuring me this month!
~Saka ♥

"Write a lot. Write something you’re scared to write. That’s the best advice I can give: If you have an idea, and you can’t stop thinking about it, but something about it scares you half to death—WRITE THAT."
- Rainbow Rowell

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2012, 09:49:35 AM »

Oh, okay! Well than Happy Labor Day to the USA peeps and Happy Labour Day to the Canadians, eh! lol

1) Tell us one thing about your story that no one else knows?

2) How long did it take you to write this entire story?

3) Give us a summary different from the one you have posted on AC, with a few more spoilers to make people tune in.

4) What made you come up with the concept of this one? 

5) Who was your favorite character in this story and why?

6) You had to know this was coming, who was your least favorite?

7) Are all the boys in this one? If not why did you choose to exclude them?

Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2012, 10:01:04 AM »

Yay Steph!  I still need to read the last couple chapters you posted of this!
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2012, 11:10:38 AM »

Yay Steph, I love this story, but I have a couple of chapters to catch up on too!

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2012, 11:20:54 AM »

Thanks, guys :)

1) Tell us one thing about your story that no one else knows?
The ending! Haha. And (spoiler alert for those of you who aren't totally caught up yet) I was originally going to have Nick not go visit AJ at all, even when he was in transitional care and use that as a huge point of contention between him and the rest of the group, but I decided to go a different way with that. I was also very, very tempted to change history and have them go back on tour when they were originally supposed to. But I decided to keep it how it was and even though that means the story drags on for a little longer, it also keeps it true to life, which is sort of the whole point.

Oh also, I was going to have Nick run a grow-op from his house in Florida, and have Kevin go visit him and when he opens the door to Nick's place there's marijuana plants everywhere. LMAO.

2) How long did it take you to write this entire story?
Uh, I'll let you know when I finish it! It's going on two years, which is kind of sad considering I've written stories of the same length in a lot less time.

3) Give us a summary different from the one you have posted on AC, with a few more spoilers to make people tune in.

In the summer of 2001 the Backstreet Boys were on top of the world. Their Black and Blue tour was sold out and highly anticipated, but behind the scenes the group was struggling. AJ's problems were cited as the reason for the sudden halt, but what the boys begin to realize is there was much more to it than that.

Between Nick's ever growing need for attention, Kevin's tiredness with always having to look out for everyone, Brian and Leighanne starting a family, and Howie trying desperately to keep the group going, the boys begin to drift even further apart. Even though the break was meant to give them a chance to return to their tour stronger than ever, it might end up being the final nail in the coffin for The Backstreet Boys.

4) What made you come up with the concept of this one? 

I had just finished writing Best of Both Worlds and wanted to try writing something new. I didn't really know what that was, but I didn't have an idea for another Nick romance story, so I thought I'd try writing something strictly about the boys. I thought of the idea of having a story that chronicled AJ's time in rehab through the views of the other boys while I was in the shower lol. I still sort of wasn't sure about it though, so I wrote out a few chapters before posting it to make sure it was something I'd stick with, since any other time I wrote something that wasn't a Nick romance story I ended up ditching it. This one has obviously taken me a lot longer to write, but I'm pretty determined to finish it.

5) Who was your favorite character in this story and why?
Nick! He's so fun to write because he's such an ass and he's  so screwed up. Also, Nick is my favourite BSB in real life (I know, shock! lol) so I guess it makes sense he'd be my favourite in this since I'm trying to make this as true to life as possible. His stupid antics are really the most fun to write in this. Like the scene where he has to go get his phone back from that fan's house and then Chris takes off with his car. I had a lot of fun writing that and probably wouldn't have been able to pull off something that ridiculous with any of the other guys.

6) You had to know this was coming, who was your least favorite?
Brian. He's so hard to write in this and it's because he's so deep into his relationship with Leighanne. I really dislike Leighanne, especially during this time period and back then I really did think that BSB would end because Brian would want to throw in the towel to spend more time with his family. Luckily that didn't happen, but I still imagine a lot of Brian ditching the group to be with her, which I guess makes sense but still, don't be a selfish ass when you get married. Not rocket surgery. lol. I'm sure he's much more jerkish in this story than he is in real life, though. At least I hope so!

7) Are all the boys in this one? If not why did you choose to exclude them?
AJ's not in it very much because he's in rehab - which is the whole point of the story. I mean he's in it a little when some of the boys go to visit him, but it's told through Nick, Howie, Kevin and Brian's POV. Not AJ's at all and the reason for that is I didn't want to write all the rehab stuff (because that could honestly be a whole story on its own) and for the purpose of this story, it wasn't really needed. AJ went to rehab and how the other boys deal with that and being on break is what this is about.
~Saka ♥

"Write a lot. Write something you’re scared to write. That’s the best advice I can give: If you have an idea, and you can’t stop thinking about it, but something about it scares you half to death—WRITE THAT."
- Rainbow Rowell

kevmylove

• Minion of Mayhem
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2012, 03:00:03 PM »

Congrats Steph!

Haven't read this yet...but it's on my "reading" list. ;)

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2012, 03:04:17 PM »

Thanks Erika :)
~Saka ♥

- Rainbow Rowell

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2012, 05:25:05 PM »

Yay Steph! I adore this story and how you write it, despite the fact I need to catch up LOL.
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2012, 05:35:43 PM »

Thanks Rose!
~Saka ♥

- Rainbow Rowell

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2012, 07:32:24 PM »

You know how much I love this story! It's epically awesome! :)

Here's a question for you!

Which one of the guys do you most identify with in this story?

Did you ever consider having AJ playing a bigger role in the telling of the story?

I personally like the fact that he's kind of absent from this. I think it probably would have been too emo if you had given him more of a voice.

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2012, 08:26:25 PM »

Aww thanks Mare! :)

Which one of the guys do you most identify with in this story?
I don't know that I actually do identify that much with any of them, and that might be why this story is so hard for me to write! lol. I probably identify the most with Howie or Nick, just because they're the ones who seem to be the most affected by the break in the sense that they don't want the group to break-up, whereas Kevin and Brian have their newly married lives to focus on. I've definitely been in that situation where I don't want my friends-group to drift apart because everyone is moving on!

Did you ever consider having AJ playing a bigger role in the telling of the story?
I have considered it a few times - adding in his POV when they went to visit him in Arizona, but then I decided not to for consistency. I had also (very briefly) thought about possibly flipping the story to be only told from his POV once he got out of rehab, but that wouldn't have made a lot of sense, because he'd still be in the treatment facility and not knowing what was going on with the other guys. I think you're right that having his POV in there would have made the story way too emo, and it's already pretty emo! lol
~Saka ♥

- Rainbow Rowell

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2012, 08:48:27 PM »

Have you thought about a companion novella to this in AJ's POV about his time in rehab? I think you'd do a good job with it.

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2012, 08:55:39 PM »

Thanks! I have sort of thought about it, yeah. To be honest I don't know that I'll do it, just because I'm not sure that's something I want to dig into with AJ or that I would even know how to start. I think I'd have to do a lot of research about rehab and addictions and yeah, I don't know. But it's definitely been something that's crossed my mind before.
~Saka ♥

- Rainbow Rowell

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2012, 10:25:42 PM »

I think you could with the right research and such. But I get not wanting to tap into certain ideas sometimes. I actually had the thought when I started your story, but decided against it myself. But if you ever did it, it'd make a great read :).

Pages: [1] 2 3